Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dog Breed Advice: Please Comment?

Dog Breed Advice: Please Comment?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 08:52 AM

Okay, so here's the scoop.

We had a Jack Russell terrier that we gave a home to because he needed a home, at least temporarily. He was/is a cool dog but he was very hyper. He finally went to a home with a woman who is an engineer and is very active and takes him everywhere with her. (Some of you might remember the roundabout way he ended up at her home...he escaped and went to her home...she found him and brought him back...she loved him so much we let her keep him.)

But, our kids now want a dog.

A friend tried to give us a golden retriever but to be honest, it was not a good match because he was just too big. He kept knocking over our 4-year old and he was a spaz. Very cute, but a big spaz. We gave him back.

Now we have no dog and want to get another one. We keep going to the dog rescue places but all of the dogs are huge. We're thinking that we need a small dog.

So, we've been looking at smaller dogs. I'm not a foo-foo dog type of person as I intensely dislike teeny dogs like pocket maltese, pocket poodles (I hate poodles for some reason), etc.

But, we have a couple of small dogs that we're looking at that need a home. One is a 6-month old Yorkie (Yorkshire terrier) that needs a home because his owner spent a lot of money (a LOT - she imported him even) for him but now no longer wants him because her husband died and her life is complicated as she is trying to sell her house and is traveling a lot. (I also think that she thinks he got too big for her tastes and that is another reason why she is rejecting him -- she kept mentioning how he was "supposed to only weigh a pound or so.") The second one is a Yorkie in a rescue situation where he was dropped off at the dog pound and the Yorkie rescue people came and picked him up. He reminds me of the Cookie Monster on Sesame Street because he's so shaggy and his paws look like Cookie Monster paws.

I'd love to give an older dog a home because it needs one and both of these little dogs are great. But, I have no idea about Yorkies and children. They both seemed to like the boys and our baby just fine.

The Yorkie that we're looking at, the smaller one at about 5 pounds, looks like an alien with his huge ears and the bigger one at about 8 pounds, looks like Benji. It's hard to believe that they're the same breed!

Anyway, can someone let me know what dogs they recommend? Also, I'm afraid of getting a dog from the dog pound because I'm not sure why they were there. Were they dropped off because they bit a child? It seems like we won't get one from a rescue shelter for that reason along with the fact that they all seem to be huge. I love big dogs but we are constantly on the go with the children and the best situation is a dog that can travel easily with us so it seems that smaller is better.

Here's a picture of one of the dogs we're considering (the smaller one) who does have a sister by the way that they lady also wants to find a home for (the sister is only 3 pounds! )

Thanks for your input, everyone.

( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Dec 9, 2004 at 08:57 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 09:22 AM

I'm found of terriers in small breeds, but a Benji-type dog would be cool.
You should take your kids and let them interact with the dogs. See what dog the kids like and which dog likes your kids. That's the best way to go.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 10:18 AM

They both seem to interact well with the kids, to be honest.

What is sad is the dog pound. So many big dogs that may end up being put to sleep. I walk down the aisles looking in their kennels and some of them have huge big soft brown eyes that seem to beg, "PLEASE let me out of here! Please take me home...please (wag tail)...please (wag tail)...please (wag tail)...Oh, gosh....she's not taking me out to go home...guess I'll go lay back down with my head on my paws..."

It's so sad! I want to give them all a good home but it's not possible. Here is our animal control (dog pound) in our county. The dogs are really great.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 11:20 AM

Look into the Maltese. They don't bark like a minature poodle, and they are playful.

**** Zsu's are fun too.

Pugs = cool

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 11:34 AM

I'd say go with a Toy Poodle (they don't bark if trained properly)...or a Bischon Frise. Very intelligent, very sociable, and very cute. And as a bonus, they do not shed.

And as far as a "foo foo" goes...remember, you have control of that. If you want to cut a Toy Poodle like a "show poodle" then that is your choice.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 11:34 AM

Which dogs are not stupid?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 11:38 AM

Your luck with keeping dogs has not been good. Maybe it is a sign. Why don't you get the kids a hampster instead?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 11:48 AM

We had a Yorkie for 10 years before she passed away. Great dog and family member. Take a lot of work, grooming hair is a chore, (especially in the rainy or snowy season) and the kids couldn't really rough house with her because of her size and nature.

We now have a Boston Terrier. Bigger, short hair, tougher, etc. Had him for about 2 years.

A great dog. Highly recommended.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 11:53 AM

Yeah, maybe I should get a hamster. Or a gerbil.

Maybe a [i]gerbnl[i].

No, the kids are dragging me into pet stores trying to get me to buy a dog. I won't buy one from a puppy mill pet store, tho.

The Boston terriers are really cool.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 12:42 PM

If you get a Boston, try to get one that has the true Boston markings. You want the white ring (collar) around its' neck. Almost makes them look like they are wearing a Tux.

While the flat nosed ones look the best, ones with longer noses may be better as they age. They will be less cold/heat sensitive with longer noses and they will breathe much better.

Even with a longer nose, our Boston does snore occasionally. It is a hoot.

Our Boston is great with people and most every dog he meets. He really gets playful with the big dogs and will not back down.

They are pretty demanding attention wise, but not nearly as crazy as the Jack's.

Good luck. Take your time in choosing. As you know, dogs live a long while, quickly become part of the family and it is very painful if you eventually decide they must go. Only do it if everyone is committed to taking part in its' care.

When we go down to getting serious about a Boston, we bought some reading material about them. This gave us better insight about the breed and eventually made us feel more comfortable that we were making the right choice.
( Last edited by kcmac; Dec 9, 2004 at 12:50 PM. )

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 12:49 PM

Everyone in France seems to have one of those Yorkies, they seem way cool, loads of personality, not afraid of taking on Rottweillers (when owner within eyesight).

Except in Paris, of course, where there's nothing else but horrible poodles.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 02:15 PM

Why do I hate poodles?

Does anyone else hate them also?

They are like an aberration of nature. The only canine with pub*c hair for a coat.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Why do I hate poodles?

They are like an aberration of nature. The only canine with pub*c hair for a coat.

Interesting.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 02:41 PM

Well, maybe I'll have to change my tune...a LITTLE.

THAT one is cute.

I saw one at the mall one day and the lady had it in a DRESS. A dress! A handknitted or crocheted dress.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 02:42 PM

I'd suggest a keeshond. Very nice dogs, don't need tons of exercise, good with kids, excellent guard dogs.

Don't think you could find one at a shelter since they aren't particularly common.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 03:26 PM

This shiba inu might still be available.
http://national.shibarescue.org/avail.html#Florida
http://national.shibarescue.org/stud...tudmuffin.html

They can be a handful though, so read up about the breed before going on cute factor.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 03:48 PM

Also, I'm afraid of getting a dog from the dog pound because I'm not sure why they were there. Were they dropped off because they bit a child? It seems like we won't get one from a rescue shelter for that reason along with the fact that they all seem to be huge.
I don't think a responsible shelter would let you adopt a dog that bit a child. We got our dog from a shelter (she's a mutt, but mostly boxer) and she's been a great, very affectionate for a medium-sized dog. It is also satisfying to know that we likely saved her life. Adopting a dog is not a perfect situation -- it's often pretty difficult to train the dog if it hasn't been trained before, for example. I probably would think twice about adoption if I had small children, but otherwise I think it's a great thing to do.

As far as smaller breeds go, my personal favorite is still the beagle, though I've never had one. My brother has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel... he's also cute and mischievous, but that breed is too trendy these days IMO.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 11:58 PM

Thanks, iLikeBeer, but did you read about that Shiba Inu?

They said:

Studmuffin is aggressive with other animals and small children. We have several other dogs and cats and have guests with small children in our home. Also, we do not have the time to work with him to solve his issues. Used to get along with my female until after she was separated from him during whelping and raising of puppies. Gets along with our puppies through the fence, but not face to face. He has tried to kill two of my cats and has an incident with guest children in the home that should be discussed with the current owner.

I don't think that dog is the dog for us!

But, we're probably going to bring that little Yorkie home. He really needs a home. He's living out on a pool patio and isn't allowed indoors and hasn't been indoors for a couple of months. Because it's Florida the weather is rather pleasant, but it's sad that he has no real interaction with people.

Thanks for the posts, everyone!

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 12:32 AM

Even though you had problems with the golden retreiver initially, I say that there's no better kind of dog to get. They are the most forgiving, loving and playful dogs, and as long as you train them well (which doesn't take much work because of their natural intelligence) they will become lifelong best friends. As long as you get a puppy golden retriever, it will learn that the four-year-old is fragile and it needs to "play nice." It won't knock him over but will instead smother the kid with love. Goldens are the best dogs and will always be the best dogs.

Also, it would be a terrible idea to bring the yorkie home. Chances are that if he hasn't been interacting with humans for what you say months, he will certaintly be hesitant to accept you as the alpha male and will certainly not accept the child (given that the child doesn't fully understand the meaning of being gentile with the dog). The dog will most likely get fed up with the kid after a little while and unfortunately go after him.....

SuperNova

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 02:54 AM

Why do I hate poodles?

Poodles rock.

Smart dog (second only to border collies). The advantage of the pubic hair coat is they don't shed. They also tend to be low energy, but no one has told my puppy that.

You can always tell people you have a curly-haired labrador.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 01:40 PM

I love the golden retrievers.

But, people freaked me out when they started posting that 60% of all goldens die early of cancer.

That's sad.

You may be right about the Yorkie, too.

<sigh>

Thanks, tho.

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 05:09 PM

I love the golden retrievers.

But, people freaked me out when they started posting that 60% of all goldens die early of cancer.
That's only because there are plenty of irresponsible breeders out there. All you have to do is make sure you have a responsible breeder whose dogs don't have a history of cancer and you're all set.

SuperNova

RiSE
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 05:11 PM

Well i just got a boston terrier last week and he has been a GREAT dog and a well behaved puppy! You should look into them.

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2004, 05:17 PM

Corgi.

The love people, they love kids, and are all around fun dogs. Plus, they're small-medium size.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 05:26 PM

RiSE: COOL pix! Adorable dog!

Corgis...how much do they shed?

Hey, thanks folks, for the posts!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 06:43 PM

As far as little dogs go, miniature pinschers are absolutely gorgeous little things. So are Italian greyhounds.

Pugs and bulldogs are great, too. (And that is one hella cute Boston there, Rise!)

But if you want the best dog ever, get a 100% mutt. It may not be "pretty", but unless it's been horrifically mistreated (and no shelter will adopt such a dog to a family), it'll have the best personality you'll ever get in a dog.

tooki

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
So are Italian greyhounds.
Eh, I have to say from much experience, Italian greyhounds are awful dogs. They are so nervous around people, you try to pet them, the next thing you know those little wires are bolting out the door. They're small and fragile and if you don't have the time or patience while chasing your kid around, they're a terrible choice....

Sorry to correct you tooki....

SuperNova

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 06:47 PM

Hmm, well I haven't owned one. But a friend of mine did, and it was a super little dog.

tooki

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Hmm, well I haven't owned one. But a friend of mine did, and it was a super little dog.

tooki
He probably had some free time on his hands to train it. Cause they need lots of it. I just don't think that it would be a good choice for him with a four-year old running around.

SuperNova

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2004, 07:26 PM

I used to have a cocker spaniel as a kid. I just loved their big floppy ears and cute eyes.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 07:54 PM

I love Italian Greyhounds.

What's the deal with 'em, though?

I mean, why are the ITALIAN greyhounds?

Are they small so that they can fit into Italian cars, which are really small so that they can fit on Italian streets?

Sheesh!

I love 'em, too. But the only time I've seen 'em they've been nervous.

Thanks for posting, Tooki! Hope you're having a good night.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 08:59 PM

Cody, if you like the Yorkshire terrier, but are afraid they may shed too much, get a Yorkie-Poodle mix, also called a Yorkipoo. They mainly look like Yorkies, but they don't shed. They're great dogs.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/yorkipoo.htm

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 09:05 PM

Yorkies don't shed do they?

Thanks for the info!

jfinete
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 09:15 PM

I don't know if they shed significantly more than other dog breeds, but my sister's allergies meant that she needed to get a non-shedding dog.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2004, 09:22 PM

Save a Whippet

When out see-aye-tees dee-eye-eee (they are very smart and can spell) we will be getting a whippet.

from the FAQ:

Do whippets like children?

Most whippets seem to have a natural affinity for kids. These dogs are not nearly as delicate as they appear and are usually excellent with gentle children. As long as a child is old enough to know how to treat him and is taught how to play with dogs, a whippet is a good choice for a child. However, a young child should never be left alone with a dog of any breed. This is important! Interaction between a child and a dog must be closely supervised, for the protection of both. All dogs will bite in some circumstances, and a whippet is no different. Keep children away from dogs who are eating or sleeping. Any dog who is sleeping when a child's foot lands on his ribcage or tail is very likely to bite before he knows what's going on.

“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 09:31 PM

One of our neighbors has a terrier/poodle mix. Most adorable thing I've ever seen, very small (we mistook her for a puppy when we first saw her, but she was actually three), and very well-tempered. Apparently not the greatest around very small kids, though.

Before that, my family had a Brittany spaniel. Very sweet dogs, and cute too, but they're not exactly known for intelligence. One time we let her out through a different door than usual and she didn't know where she was; she laid down on the porch and cried for an hour before we realized what was going on
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 10:22 PM

I love 'em, too. But the only time I've seen 'em they've been nervous.
I think that's what I said....

SuperNova

im_noahselby
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
My brother has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel... he's also cute and mischievous, but that breed is too trendy these days IMO.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's are very cute and make an excellent addition to any family. They aren't as agressive or as hyper as Jack Russel Terriers. In my experience in having been around them they are both gentle and loving, even in the puppy stage.

Noah

(I wish I had one... )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2004, 03:01 AM

I think im going to get one when I move out real soon. They are cute dogs.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 03:57 AM

I love my little Isabella so very much! She's a poodle, and I really...really...miss her. I haven't seen her all semester .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2004, 07:08 AM

Everyone in Paris seems to have a poodle. And there is dog crap EVERYWHERE. Maybe that's one of the reasons I have an aversion to them. I'm not sure.

All of these dogs look great. Yes, I saw a Cavalier spaniel at one place and it was like a little stuffed animal. Very mellow with big brown eyes. He was kind of too mellow, actually.

Whippets are cool dogs, yes. Haven't actually seen one around our place though.

There's a big dog show up in Orlando that I'm thinking of going to today. Probably won't though since I'm pretty busy and it's a long drive up there for us.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2004, 07:20 AM

Speaking of dogs and Yorkies, Leonardo DiCaprio's girlfriend, Gisele Bundchen, is kind of a loser when it comes to hers.

Read here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules