Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > can you merge two separate tmobile plans?

can you merge two separate tmobile plans?
DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 09:04 PM

Amazon has the t610 sony ericsson phone for $100 with $300 in rebates with a service plan from TMobile.

I'm thinking about getting one for myself and one for my wife. Is it doable to order us each a plan, cash in the rebates, and then merge the plans? I've heard of people doing it, but there isn't exactly a "Cash in rebates and Merge Plans" button on Amazon.

Does anyone know how this works?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 10:03 PM

Don't get a T610. Especially not if it costs $100. You can buy a T630 new without contract for �100 over here.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

nerd
Senior User
Dec 11, 2004, 02:37 AM

I got mine last Christmas for free after rebate. That sounds a little high.

Brad

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2004, 04:39 AM

That's the reason I cancelled my T-Mobile.

I had been given a price list for doing a phone upgrade and the numbers were just not good at all.

Another sad news, T-Mobile doesn't carry the T630/7 right?

I sitched to AT&T just before the merger, which I bought the T637 for just $29 w/ 1yr agreement plan.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2004, 04:44 AM

I think he means you pay $100 for the phone, then get $300 in rebates, netting $200 profit. I have T-Mobile but have never looked into merging plans.

nerd
Senior User
Dec 11, 2004, 01:22 PM

Oh, $200 profit. That would be good then. I have the phone, it's nice but don't expect much from the camera. Bluetooth was the reason I got mine; love the wireless headset and not having to retype in my address book.

Brad

Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Amazon has the t610 sony ericsson phone for $100 with $300 in rebates with a service plan from TMobile.

I'm thinking about getting one for myself and one for my wife. Is it doable to order us each a plan, cash in the rebates, and then merge the plans? I've heard of people doing it, but there isn't exactly a "Cash in rebates and Merge Plans" button on Amazon.

Yep, I did it earlier this year. You can do it at any T-Mobile store or over the phone, I believe. The way it works is that you switch the name on the second account to yours (so there are two accounts in your name) and then merge them into a single family plan. It's important that you follow up on it, though; we filled all the paperwork out in the store and they only did the first step (putting both accounts in my name). A little yelling on the phone got it all worked out.

Now that I think about it, though, both contracts I merged had lapsed; we'd each had our phone for more than a year. You may want to call customer service and make sure you can merge contracts that have yet to lapse.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:

Like Joshua I merged plans after the original contracts (with the Amazon rebate) had expired. You might be able to do it before, I'm not sure. Certainly you should do the math to see whether the money from the rebates makes up for the extra expense on the separate contracts, if it turns out you have to wait.

Don't you think you should get two different phones though, to prevent confusion?

Forum Links
Forum Rules