Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto book. Too expensive or am I just tight?

iPhoto book. Too expensive or am I just tight?
jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 12:46 PM

I just created a book and for 15 pages, just 8 actual paper pages, it was going to cost me 44.99 plus shipping. That seems crazy to me. Are their any other companys that might offer this service at a cheaper price?

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 04:36 PM

I agree that $45 seems a little steep for what it is, but...

I believe the iPhoto books are printed single sided (I'd have a to look at the ones I've produced).

The quality of the books is unbelievable. Nice glossy paper. Bright and crisp photos (assuming they were originally). The cover and binding is excellent - not at all flimsy. All in all, they do a wonderful job on the package.

I am sure there are other companies offering a similar service, but probably nothing with the ease-of-use of iPhoto's book engine.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 06:35 PM

hmm, seems prices have gone up a bit since i made mine 2 yrs ago. anyway they made great gifts. of note is that image quality, imo, is a bit under that of traditional prints on photo paper when comparing to prints made from the same (resolution and all) source files as those in the book.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 06:54 PM

I'm underwhelmed by the book I made for my folks for Christmas. The local grocery store makes better prints than these.... I believe the name for the problem is mori�- where inks don't quite line up and make a grid type look.

It's all pics of my kid- their first and only grandchild, so they'll love it anyway. But I probably won't make a 2nd one next year.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by jlemons:
I just created a book and for 15 pages, just 8 actual paper pages, it was going to cost me 44.99 plus shipping. That seems crazy to me. Are their any other companys that might offer this service at a cheaper price?
The book pages are printed one side only. I think the cover counts as one page, so you should have 14 pages inside.

The books are still $3/page as they've always been. When you consider that an 8x10 costs $4 the books don't seem quite as expensive.

The image quality however is not up to photo standards. It is as good as most books. The transfer from a optical/chemical process to an ink process is lossy. I've printed up 6 books so far, and some types of images do better than others. I tend to bump up the color saturation a notch or 2 for book printing, that seems to help. Every Apple Store has sample books lying around if you want to evaluate the quality.

Ofoto offers a similar printing service, and they may be cheaper. It is all web-based, and seemed cumbersome to me. iPhoto makes it easy.

All of the books i've made have been gifts... and they are wildly popular.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 08:10 AM

I'd agree that its a tad expensive and be honest the quality was less then I thought. Overall the book is nice, but I would have preferred something a little better.

My question then is if not iphoto who then?

Mike

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 11:58 AM

If it is anything like the UK, the first 10 pages are a lower cost to print. Any additional pages on top of that are charged at a higher rate, so trying make it 10 pages tops to see how much it costs. (In fact you can only order 10 pages as a minimum)

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 12:39 PM

I haven't recieved my book yet but yes and no i felt it was expensive. Yes because, well it was near $50 bucks after shipping.. and for a book of pictures that seems a bit steep. No because I don't know of another place that will throw my pictures together that fast for me and print them onto a bound book.

ae77
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2004, 02:07 PM

^_^

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
If it is anything like the UK, the first 10 pages are a lower cost to print. Any additional pages on top of that are charged at a higher rate, so trying make it 10 pages tops to see how much it costs. (In fact you can only order 10 pages as a minimum)
Here is is $30 for the first 10 pages, and then $3/page after that, so there is no penalty for more than 10 pages, just for less than 10.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules