Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Canada "is lucky that we [Americans] allow them to be there"

Canada "is lucky that we [Americans] allow them to be there" (Page 2)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
FNC: Total day: 1,141,000 -- Primetime: 2,735,000

CNN: Total day: 558,00 -- Primetime: 998,000

MSNBC: Total day: 228,000 -- Primetime: 382,000

to name a few... looks like FNC isn't popular at all...

Mac Guru
Source please and if you say Fox News I will laugh at you.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
http://www.nycfarmboy.com/delete4.jpg

Taken 10 months before...
What exactly are you saying?

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2004, 01:38 AM

Is FoxNews available in Canada yet or is it still banned there?

ambush  (op)
Banned
Dec 17, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by IceBreaker:
I have fox -- not that I listen to it -- but I do have it.

koogz
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2004, 02:24 AM

Canada? Ban Fox News?

What happened to their 'free' and open society? I guess it went in the shitter.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Dec 17, 2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by koogz:
Canada? Ban Fox News?

What happened to their 'free' and open society? I guess it went in the shitter.
What part of "fox news isn't banned in Canada" is failling to penetrate your thick skull today?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 03:22 AM

Its never been banned here, we watch it on American Channels
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

dcolton
Banned
Dec 17, 2004, 04:33 PM

Ann Coulter: Canada is "lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent"

Tucker Carlson: "Without the U.S., Canada is essentially Honduras, but colder and much less interesting"

Coulter: Canada is "lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent"; Carlson: "Without the U.S., Canada is essentially Honduras"
On November 30, as President Bush visited Canada to meet with Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin in an effort to improve the two countries' strained relations, right-wing pundit Ann Coulter and CNN Crossfire co-host Tucker Carlson ridiculed the United States' northern neighbor. On FOX News Channel's Hannity & Colmes, Coulter said that Canadians "better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent." On CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports, Carlson stated: "Without the U.S., Canada is essentially Honduras, but colder and much less interesting"; he went on to say that instead of following politics, "the average Canadian is busy dogsledding." And on Crossfire, Carlson referred to the "limpid, flaccid nature of Canadian society."

Canada is the United States' largest trade partner. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. trade with Canada accounted for a cumulative $38.5 billion dollars in September 2004 alone. Further, as Bush noted in a December 1 speech in Halifax, Nova Scotia, "Canada has taken a series of critical steps to guard against the danger of terrorism." In its country profile of Canada, the U.S. State Department website notes:

The bilateral relationship between the United States and Canada is perhaps the closest and most extensive in the world. It is reflected in the staggering volume of trade--the equivalent of over $1 billion a day in goods, services, and investment income--and people, more than 200 million a year crossing the U.S.-Canadian border. In fields ranging from law enforcement cooperation to environmental cooperation to free trade, the two countries have set the standard by which many other countries measure their own progress.

Below are excerpts from Coulter's and Carlson's Canada-bashing.

From the November 30 edition of FOX News' Hannity & Colmes:

COULTER: Conservatives, as a general matter, take the position that you should not punish your friends and reward your enemies. And Canada has become trouble recently.

It's -- I suppose it's always, I might add, the worst Americans who end up going there. The Tories after the Revolutionary War, the Vietnam draft dodgers after Vietnam. And now after this election, you have the blue-state people moving up there.

[...]

COULTER: There is also something called, when you're allowed to exist on the same continent of the United States of America, protecting you with a nuclear shield around you, you're polite and you support us when we've been attacked on our own soil. They [Canada] violated that protocol.

[...]

COULTER: They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent.

[...]

COULTER: We could have taken them [Canada] over so easily.

[ALAN] COLMES: We could have taken them over? Is that what you want?

COULTER: Yes, but no. All I want is the western portion, the ski areas, the cowboys, and the right-wingers.

[...]

COULTER: They don't even need to have an army, because they are protected, because they're on the same continent with the United States of America. If we were not the United States of America, Canada -- I mean, we're their trading partner. We keep their economy afloat.

[...]

ELLIS HENICAN [Newsday columnist]: We share a lot of culture and a lot of interests. Why do we want to have to ridicule them and be deeply offended if they disagree with us?

COULTER: Because they speak French.

COLMES: There's something else I want to point out about the French. Is it's fashionable again on your side to denounce the French.

COULTER: We like the English-speaking Canadians.

From the November 30 edition of CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports:

CARLSON: Without the U.S., Canada is essentially Honduras, but colder and much less interesting.

[...]

CARLSON: We exploit your [addressing Canadian Member of Parliament Carolyn Parrish] natural resources, that's true. But in the end, Canadians with ambition move to the United States. That has been sort of the trend for decades. It says something not very good about Canada. And I think it makes Canadians feel bad about themselves and I understand that.

[...]

CARLSON: Canada needs the United States. The United States does not need Canada.

[...]

CARLSON: I think if Canada were responsible for its own security -- you would be invaded by Norway if it weren't for the United States.

[...]

CARLSON: [A]bsolutely the countries will remain allies and there will always be politicians who see it to their benefit to stomp on Bush dolls [referring to action taken by Parrish]. But no, I don't think the average Canadian feels -- the average Canadian is busy dogsledding.

[...]

PARRISH: No, there's not a lot of dogsledding. There's a lot of dog walking, my friend. Not a lot of dogsledding.

CARLSON: Welcome to our century.

From the November 30 edition of CNN's Crossfire:

CARLSON: Canada's essentially -- essentially a made-in-Taiwan version of the United States.

[...]

CARLSON: I'm surprised there was anybody left in Canada to attend the protests. I noticed that most sort of vigorous, ambitious Canadians, at least almost all comedians in Canada, come to the United States in the end. Doesn't that tell you something about the sort of limpid, flaccid nature of Canadian society, that people with ambition come here? What does that tell you about Canada?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 08:54 PM

Hey ambush, what part of "I don't like Bill O' Reilly" did you not hear? I haven't listened to rush in awhile. The only guy I really like is Glenn Beck, who's not as partisan, and a lot more down-to-earth. Common guy. But he comeso n at 9 and school starts at 7.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 09:03 PM

"COULTER: Because they speak French."

hard to argue that logic.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Dec 17, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
Hey ambush, what part of "I don't like Bill O' Reilly" did you not hear? I haven't listened to rush in awhile. The only guy I really like is Glenn Beck, who's not as partisan, and a lot more down-to-earth. Common guy. But he comeso n at 9 and school starts at 7.
I see.... o'reilly is really a big hypocrite. Why does he promote hate & christianity at the same time anyway?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:

Wait, did I just lose a post on my count?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 09:06 PM

Portuguese is the only language I ever heard that sounded uglier, though it wasn't nearly as annoying sounding.

(This post should bring out some flames)

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 09:13 PM

Even if you don't agree with her conservative message, you hafta give Ann Coulter some credit for her sense of humor. I think she plays the role of Ann Coulter in public, and is much more normal in private.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 10:54 PM

I think she plays the role of Ann Coulter in public, and is much more normal in private.
I can vouch for that ... but she is wildly liberal in the sack.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 04:15 PM

I can't STAND O'Reily... I listen to Neal Boortz - Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity while I'm at work... and if I'm out late at night, it's Michael Savage but only cause I like laughing at how severe he is, I don't agree with most of his spew.

Mac Guru

Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 01:25 PM

Interesting to say the least. Fox Facts should have been in quotes.
I have actually considered going to Canada to go to a post gradutate college.

Also Tucker Reed or whatever his name is, is a ***king dumbass, I have seen him on Public Broadcast for God sake's talking about how America is so much better because have pumpkin pie on thanksgiving!
He's a complete joke and I personally am ashamed that he is an American.

Forum Links
Forum Rules