Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson printers

Epson printers
Bogartte
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2004, 01:00 PM

Two years ago I spent $10,000 on a large format printer, the 10600 Epson Archival printer, and waited all this time for Epson to issue drivers for OS X, and now, as of the 23rd of this month, Epson announces there will be no drivers for this model for OS X! What?! Are they kidding? I am forced to use OS 9 forever???!

While I am sure that not a lot of people have purchased this large format printer, it was touted as, and still is, a state of the art printer, and for Epson to drop it's support for it is really a bad move. They do mention though, that if I wish OS X drivers, I can spend an additional $3000. for a RIP!!!

So, for anyone interested, do not, and I repeat do not purchase this model printer from Epson. While it is a tremendous printer, their support for it is the worst there is. One would be better served by considering the Canon wide format printers.

Bogartte  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2004, 01:13 PM

This was posted on the Epson site yesterday:

The following printer models are not currently supported by OS X, and will not have a native OS X driver from Epson:

Stylus Pro 9000

Stylus Pro 5000

Stylus Pro 10600 Photographic Dye Ink

Stylus Pro 10600 Archival Ink

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 01:32 PM

Sell the junk and get a new non-epson printer.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Bogartte  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2004, 10:06 PM

Problem is, grunt head, this printer is the best one out there, with a 200 year longevity
for achival prints... it's a pain, and so far no other "non-Epson" comes close. So, basically you don't know what you're talking about. But thanks anyway. You want to buy it? I'll sell it to you for the going rate, which is now aound $9000....

JKBogartte

OreoCookie
Dec 25, 2004, 06:30 AM

How about hooking it up to a dedicated Windows machine/Mac, install the necessary RIP software and share that postscript printer? I know that this won't be the best solution, but you could use your printer with any computer from any platform.

If you don't want to buy a full-fledged RIP, I think Dave can share local Windows printer as Postscript printer, too.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Bogartte:
Problem is, grunt head, this printer is the best one out there, with a 200 year longevity
for achival prints... it's a pain, and so far no other "non-Epson" comes close. So, basically you don't know what you're talking about. But thanks anyway. You want to buy it? I'll sell it to you for the going rate, which is now aound $9000....

JKBogartte
Who needs 200 year old prints? How about if in 30 years from now you just print another copy.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Sell the junk and get a new non-epson printer.
Yeah, great idea. Like one of those 44" Canon printers...

What about Ultrachrome? You could switch it out, no? You could also look at ImagePrint. It's a little cheaper and a lot better than Epson's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules