Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Messaging an IP from Mac X

Messaging an IP from Mac X
beseku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 11:05 AM

Someone near my flat is running the most unsecure wireless network and my Powerbook keeps connecting to it. I can get the other IP addresses from their router, and wanted to know the easiest way to message the computers and let them know how open it is and how to secure it...

I am a complete terminal newbie, (just switched to Mac) so please be gentle...
Ben
http://www.beseku.com

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by beseku:
Someone near my flat is running the most unsecure wireless network and my Powerbook keeps connecting to it. I can get the other IP addresses from their router, and wanted to know the easiest way to message the computers and let them know how open it is and how to secure it...

I am a complete terminal newbie, (just switched to Mac) so please be gentle...
The easiest way without hacking their computers would be to print out a flyer and leave it at the door of the different apartments in your building. Let them know they have a open wireless network and their computers could be vulnerable to attacks. If they need help they can give you a call.
If you're more of the passive type I wouldn't do anything, without hacking their computers there really isn't much you can do.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2005, 03:20 PM

I thought about suggesting that you put a file on their computer to tell them about it, but it would have to be something pretty noticable, and I just remembered that such actions are illegal.

What I would do is get one of those inexpensive "hot spot sniffers" (sold at places like CompUSA and BestBuy), and go wandering around until I found where the various wireless networks in your area are.

You could also use something like NetStumbler to sniff out where this particular network is. This works better than the hot spot sniffers, because they usually only have an LED display that just shows basic signal strength, while NetStumbler-and its copycats-will give you everything about the network, including the all-important network name/SSID.

Once you find the location, you knock on the door and become a very good neighbor.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules