Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Thoughts on the iPod shuffle

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the iPod shuffle?
Poll Options:
Ordered the 512MB one 29 votes (16.96%)
Ordered the 1GB one 47 votes (27.49%)
Waiting for reviews 38 votes (22.22%)
Waiting for rush to die down 27 votes (15.79%)
Are you kidding me? 30 votes (17.54%)
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll
Thoughts on the iPod shuffle
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 03:36 PM

What are your initial thoughts on the iPod shuffle?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 03:44 PM

From Apple's site:

2. Do not chew iPod shuffle.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 03:55 PM

Very disappointed that Apple did not offer a 1-gig flash-based version of the Mini.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 04:08 PM

I don't see what is so appealing about this little mp3 player, besides the price. I find it kind of ugly, and don't like the idea that it has no screen. The scroll wheel and large screen were part of the charm of the iPod and iPod mini. White plastic? - What about anodized aluminum colour versions like the iPod mini? That would have given it more character. This player won't stand out like the iPod or iPod mini. In a market that is already oversaturated, Apple didn't really bring anything new or innovative to the table. I credit them for tapping into this market and I hope that this device is a success; I just don't see it yet...

I will definitely be grabbing an iPod mini now...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
I don't see what is so appealing about this little mp3 player, besides the price. I find it kind of ugly, and don't like the idea that it has no screen. The scroll wheel and large screen were part of the charm of the iPod and iPod mini. White plastic? - What about anodized aluminum colour versions like the iPod mini? That would have given it more character. This player won't stand out like the iPod or iPod mini. In a market that is already oversaturated, Apple didn't really bring anything new or innovative to the table. I credit them for tapping into this market and I hope that this device is a success; I just don't see it yet...

Noah
Hard disk player is never big in Asia. And if you ever go to places like Korea, Hong Kong or china, people are carrying a lanyard with a flash players like the ipod shuffle. But they all cost like $100-$200 dollar. What is sweet about this ipod shuffle is that it only costs $99.

I don't think you give a lot of credits to them because they do their marketing research and i think the shuffle plays is going to be a great deal.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 04:21 PM

I don't see what is so appealing about this little mp3 player, besides the price.
As you said, it's price-competitive with other usb drives considering it comes with an MP3/AAC player. I bought it for that and to have something when at the gym or running. I imagine the mini will see a 5GB update soon too.

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 04:27 PM

Crap! I almost ordered this thing, until I realized that there was no FM radio. As this is a device that appeals to those who work out, I think this is a large omission. But for $150, what dya expect, ya know?
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 04:33 PM

I want to know if the B&M who sell iPods and Mini's will carry the shuffle and how soon... like Target and Best Buy. That will blow up the sales since they can compete in places other than just the Apple stores and online.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 04:45 PM

I am waiting for the iPhone.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 05:04 PM

I need to know if I can use this with the 20 GB iPod I already have on the same computer. I run everyday and the iPod doesn't like it.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I am waiting for the iPhone.
Fine. Come back in about twenty years. By then there will be no cell phones anymore and you can get over the fact that Apple never produced one.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 11, 2005 at 05:14 PM. )

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by sweetsdream:
I need to know if I can use this with the 20 GB iPod I already have on the same computer. I run everyday and the iPod doesn't like it.
Looking at this shuffle page, it looks like the iPod shuffle uses an interface like the Party-to-Go mode. Besides, you're supposed to be able to sync an unlimited number of iPods anyway.
( Last edited by JHromadka; Jan 12, 2005 at 12:00 AM. )

Dalhectar
Jan 11, 2005, 05:12 PM

Yes, iTunes can support multiple iPods. For iTMS music, you can download to an unlimited number of iPods (compared 5 PCs or Macs for iTMS music).

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 05:27 PM

i don't get it, apple makes it look like its shuffle only, surely this isn't the case, how do you select a specific album to play?
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
i don't get it, apple makes it look like its shuffle only, surely this isn't the case, how do you select a specific album to play?
there's a switch on the back to shuffle or play back in the order you made the playlist.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
there's a switch on the back to shuffle or play back in the order you made the playlist.
how do you select a specific album if you have 20 on there?
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Dalhectar:
Yes, iTunes can support multiple iPods. For iTMS music, you can download to an unlimited number of iPods (compared 5 PCs or Macs for iTMS music).
Sorry to get off topic but can they sync differently? My 20GB (just barely) fits all my songs.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 05:42 PM

how can you select a specific track you want to listen to without a screen?
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 05:55 PM

how can you select a specific track you want to listen to without a screen?
You don't. Buy a mini.

This is for the people who have learned to enjoy the Shuffle feature on the iPod or those who can make a playlist themselves that they actually like. It only holds 240 (120) songs, so it is meant for holding a single playlist that plays through in its entirety because you have spent the time to make the playlist how you want it. OR it is meant to function in shuffle mode because you like surprises.

80% of the time I only listen to one playlist on my 15gig iPod: My Top Rated Songs, Not Recent. These are my 4-5 star songs that I haven't heard in over a week. That amounts to about 500 songs and I listen in shuffle mode. I would be more than happy to have the iPod shuffle choose 240 songs from that playlist and play them back for me because that is effectively what I do now.

I use my iPod on the bus, at the gym, or running. I never listen to more that 240 songs in a row.

I'm the person they designed this for.

kman

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:02 PM

You don't. Buy a mini.

This is for the people who have learned to enjoy the Shuffle feature on the iPod or those who can make a playlist themselves that they actually like. It only holds 240 (120) songs, so it is meant for holding a single playlist that plays through in its entirety because you have spent the time to make the playlist how you want it. OR it is meant to function in shuffle mode because you like surprises.

80% of the time I only listen to one playlist on my 15gig iPod: My Top Rated Songs, Not Recent. These are my 4-5 star songs that I haven't heard in over a week. That amounts to about 500 songs and I listen in shuffle mode. I would be more than happy to have the iPod shuffle choose 240 songs from that playlist and play them back for me because that is effectively what I do now.

I use my iPod on the bus, at the gym, or running. I never listen to more that 240 songs in a row.

kman
That's right on the money...I am definately buying this to compliment my 30gig iPod.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by nbnz:
That's right on the money...I am definately buying this to compliment my 30gig iPod.
I just bought it. $139 through the education store. There's no discount on the 512MB.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 06:19 PM

You don't. Buy a mini.

kman
that makes sense, you also just gave me a great way of making a decent playlist, thanks. I've never really bothered using the smart playlists but you've inspired me to have a look at it properly

i'm tempted to get the ipod shuffle, though at my bitrates (192kbps) i doubt i'll get 250 songs on it.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Fine. Come back in about twenty years. By then there will be no cell phones anymore and you can get over the fact that Apple never produced one.
I am talking about the Motorola ones with iTunes support that steve mentioned today ya turd.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 07:04 PM

You don't. Buy a mini.

kman

I agree completely. I have a similar playlist - top rated songs, haven't been played in a week - keeps a nice random mix - I usually ONLY listen to this playlist - no reason to lug around my 20G 2nd gen, I bought a 1 gb as well- can't wait-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 07:17 PM

I just bought it. $139 through the education store. There's no discount on the 512MB.
Just ordered mine from the Apple Store Australia. $229 here (about US$173) includes tax and shipping. Estimated ship: 2 weeks, don't know if I can last that long!
Wait time for the arm band (which I want for running) is 4-6 weeks

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 07:29 PM

When you make the playlist in iTunes, can you choose to shuffle by album or only by song?

"I start fires!"

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 07:32 PM

I'm pretty excited... this is perfect for me at the gym, where I listen to the same 100 ish songs (thumping techno for the elliptical trainer) My only concern is there is no mention of audio-book support, which is my other main use of my old 20-Gig.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
I'm pretty excited... this is perfect for me at the gym, where I listen to the same 100 ish songs (thumping techno for the elliptical trainer) My only concern is there is no mention of audio-book support, which is my other main use of my old 20-Gig.
On the specs page it quotes "Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4)" which I think is the audio-book format.

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by nbnz:
On the specs page it quotes "Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4)" which I think is the audio-book format.
And here too

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 08:33 PM

Well, I voted "Waiting for reviews," but if they're in stock when I swing by the local Mac shop tomorrow, I might just flip a coin over getting one for my girlfriend. Then I could get my own if it seems useable. I actually mostly listen to iTunes in shuffle, and she makes CDs to use with a crappy portable CD player, so it might work for either of us.

I still don't see why it'd hurt to have stuck a 2- or 3-line display on there, but hey. I ain't no CEO..

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 08:48 PM

I wonder if there's any likelyhood of an accessory coming out that'll let the iPod shuffle hook up to the regular dock connector. The reason I'd like that is because I have the iPod connector in my BMW and I love it, but I don't like leaving my 20g iPod out in the heat and cold. If the shuffle would work with it, I could leave it in the glovebox all the time. And the lack of a display on the shuffle doesn't really matter when I couldn't see it anyway.

Oh well, here's to wishful thinking.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2005, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:
I still don't see why it'd hurt to have stuck a 2- or 3-line display on there, but hey. I ain't no CEO..
1. cost
2. space
3. weight
4. battery life
5. complexity

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2005, 09:48 PM

I was VERY happy to see the new iPods. I have an iPod Photo 40GB, and I get nervous with the unit at the gym. Dropping or cracking your $99 iPod is much different than dropping or cracking your $499 - $599 iPod. I ordered the 512MB as a compliment to my iPod Photo. I expect there will be quite a few repeat buyers.

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

justinhale
Jan 11, 2005, 10:13 PM

this item is going to be so perfect for students in school. especially me, being a design student. the ability to take my files with me & listen to music, in a small little accessory is priceless. we use macs every day, this will be the perfect solution. a+ apple.

proud future owner of a 1g, ipod shuffle & dock.

current owner of a 17" powerbook, 20" display & 20g ipod.
plus with the student discount, how could i resist?

Dalhectar
Jan 11, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by sweetsdream:
Sorry to get off topic but can they sync differently? My 20GB (just barely) fits all my songs.
Connect iPod to iTunes, and control click or right mouse click on the iPod. There you can set the iPod to sync to a specific playlist(s) or all.

In the example of kman42 he could have his large iPod sync all the music, and set the iPod Shuffle to sync to the My Top Rated Songs, Not Recent playlist.

Me, I'm tired of my iPod freezing up on me while I run, so an iPod Shuffle would be a good match.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Originally posted by slugslugslug:
1. cost
2. space
3. weight
4. battery life
5. complexity
1. cost: Who cares?
2. space: Who cares?
3. weight: Who cares?
4. battery life: Not an issue. Other flash-based audio players have a screen AND good battery life.
5. complexity: Any more complex than a regular iPod?

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Forbodium:
1. cost
2. space
3. weight
4. battery life
5. complexity

1. cost: Who cares?
2. space: Who cares?
3. weight: Who cares?
4. battery life: Not an issue. Other flash-based audio players have a screen AND good battery life.
5. complexity: Any more complex than a regular iPod?
[/QUOTE]

KISS meathod is Apple's approach. All other flash-based audio players are small, yet complex, with difficult / anti-intuitive/ anti-ergonomical controls.

dont ask stupid questions like: who cares. Apple wants to make money. It will.

Who cares!?!?!?!

jyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 12:27 AM

Just bought the 1 gig. As a runner, I have been plagued by the skipping and locking of my 2nd generation 10 gig. I bought the Shuffle because it's the only option for a skip free flash based player that will play iTunes store bought music. It's just nice to know that I will never have to worry about it skipping or locking on me anymore. I can finally concentrate on my running...

I will most likely get an iPod Photo when the prices come down and they make it thin like the 20 gig. The 20 gig needs a color screen too...

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 12:31 AM

finally cheap enough to buy; ordered mine today

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 12:54 AM

Noah
Kinda agree a little. I think I definately would've picked up one if it had a small LCD screen or something. And an FM tuner of some sort. Kinda looking at the Creative MuVo. It only has 256 MB of space, but I don't need that much for my songs and it's got the FM tuner so I can listen in on the TVs at the gym......

There's never enough when you have too little

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 12:54 AM

Gonna pick up a 1 gigger and see what happens. (Hope they have them at the store.)

I think I may end up neglecting my 40 GB. I only really use the iPod at the gym and usually keep it on my gym playlist. When I'm travelling I have my laptop. It will be nice to have a tiny, light little iPod.

PeterKG
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 01:25 AM

I have been at the Macworld Expo all day, but went out twice to the Apple store in SF. The line went out the door, and most people were buying more than one (I bought four). They are a hit already.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Big Fat Al
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 01:37 AM

i'm tempted to get the ipod shuffle, though at my bitrates (192kbps) i doubt i'll get 250 songs on it.
There is an option you can set in the new version of iTunes to automatically down-sample your existing tracks to 128k bps ACC during synchronisation. Wicked!!!

Read about it here http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/today...irst/index.php

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
KISS meathod is Apple's approach. All other flash-based audio players are small, yet complex, with difficult / anti-intuitive/ anti-ergonomical controls.

dont ask stupid questions like: who cares. Apple wants to make money. It will.

Who cares!?!?!?!
So you are saying that the issue of size and complexity is with the players offered by competing companies? What was stopping Apple from putting flash-memory into the proven-popular Mini? That seems like the optimal size and complexity, and it would solve the skipping/pausing problems that occur with the iPod/Mini during heavy physical activity.

If the 1-gig players that the iPod Shuffler competes with (JetAudio, the new Audiovox player, etc) get under $190, I'll be giving them my consideration.

Kirke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 01:50 AM

During the demo, the screen shot of iTunes showed an option for "Convert tunes to 128Kb AAC when loading to this iPod" (or words to that effect). I assume that's in real time and doesn't clutter up iTunes with multiple versions of your songs. Very slick.

I ordered the $99 version today. It's a no brainer for me. I interact with my 10gig iPod almost exclusively using the remote (going days without looking at the screen), so the interface is fine. The advantage of the iPod shuffle is that I can tuck it in my shirt pocket rather than clipping the iPod to my belt and remote to my shirt (fewer/shorter cords to worry about). And my briefcase will be that much lighter. (It sounds lame I know, but it's noticably heavier with my iPod inside).

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 02:29 AM

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 03:08 AM

I'm buying one. Soooo tired of iPod 20 gig skipping while I run.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 04:07 AM

I love it.

Personally, I'm getting a 40GB or 60GB model because I want it to hold my entire collection, but nevertheless the iPod shuffle IMHO is a great device that seems to make even more sense than the iPod mini.

Basically it's a MP3 player for one special playlist. Great for jogging (no skip). And for free it's also a very nifty USB memory stick - I just love Apple for the slider thing that lets you chose how much space is reserved for audio and how much for files. Or the other way around, you're getting a very nice USB memory stick with a MP3 player thrown in additionally.

I really like it. And maybe I'm gonna get one just for jogging. Not because I need it, but because it's nice, totally Apple-like and yet it's very inexpensive.

It's going to be a hit. Great move Apple.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 12, 2005, 04:45 AM

I have an iPod Shuffle that I picked up at the show. It's a very cool little device -- EXTREMELY light, and very small. Contrary to the name, you do not have to randomly play the songs that are on it -- you can also do linear play.

As has been stated, it's an excellent music player for sports, working out, jogging, biking, or any other time you want a tiny MP3 player. It's rather smart really, because it compliments the regular iPods and iPod Minis well, I can see a number of people who own those picking up one of the Shuffles too.

Nice device; it operates as a little hard drive too. the 1gb models are not shipping yet, but the 512mb ones are. One neat thing is it can optionally put random songs from your iTunes library/playlists onto the Shuffle whenever you plug it in.

Given the pricepoint, the integration with iTunes and the music store, and that a lot of people who own iPods may get one of these as well... I think it's a home run.

Sound quality is VERY surprisingly loud, and exceptionally good.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 05:16 AM

Moki, report back on battery life (ordered a 1GB model).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules