Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Core Image

Core Image (Page 2)
arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by yikes600:
The 9200 hardware can't do shaders
Sure it can. It supports ATI_text_fragment_shader. That's not as capable as ARB_fragment_program, but it gives you programable shaders nonetheless.

I suspect the actual cut-off point for CoreImage HW-acceleration is floating point texture support, but I'm only guessing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2005, 05:59 PM

Since Steve touted it as being based on floating-point shaders (or something along those lines), that sounds pretty reasonable.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 14, 2005 at 07:03 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 06:03 PM

So which cards are these? I don't have the list of floating point textures at hand.
i look in your general direction

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Supported graphics cards:

* ATI Radeon 9800 XT
* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9600 XT
* ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
* NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
* NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

These cards are available in today�s PowerBooks, Power Mac G5s and both the 17-inch and 20-inch iMac.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 06:36 PM

where's the 9200??

I'm wondering what other kind of improvements besides some of these programmable ones these and other cards will be able to take advantage of with CoreImage and other techs in Tiger....

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
where's the 9200??

I'm wondering what other kind of improvements besides some of these programmable ones these and other cards will be able to take advantage of with CoreImage and other techs in Tiger....
For the first question: it's not supported; see the rest of this thread.

For the second, I can't figure out what you're asking.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2005, 08:45 PM

In order joint work own house the description below which it uses it is a game of the APIs where is that CoreImage. These people in the programmer it will create the prosecuting attorney of advantage of the feature which the expatiation f2acilmentecr3iam diagram progresses extensive hazard software, will permit in use.

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
In order joint work own house the description below which it uses it is a game of the APIs where is that CoreImage. These people in the programmer it will create the prosecuting attorney of advantage of the feature which the expatiation f2acilmentecr3iam diagram progresses extensive hazard software, will permit in use.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 09:39 PM

Man I've got to upgrade my video card for this thing. Too bad they're not making too many cards for the agp G4 workstations any more.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 12:43 AM

To summarize:

From what I have seen and read at many sites there is alot of confusion about where CoreImage work stands and what it will do and this seems to be the case here as well.

Many here post like they know exactly what cards will and won't work despite that Apple has removed the list and is pretty mum about it now.

Many also post like they know exactly what CoreImage will do, when in fact the spec doesn't seem finished from what I've seen at Apple (they make some general statements about programmable cards and generalized functions).

All you are saying is that it will support some textures and then you state what the textures will be, with no clear proof of what in fact they will be.

My point is that since it is not done it may do more with different cards and provide some other functionality as well.
( Last edited by pliny; Jan 15, 2005 at 12:53 AM. )

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
Sure it can. It supports ATI_text_fragment_shader. That's not as capable as ARB_fragment_program, but it gives you programable shaders nonetheless.

I suspect the actual cut-off point for CoreImage HW-acceleration is floating point texture support, but I'm only guessing.
To get full core image support and all the eye-candy that core image brings, you need a video card that has Pixel shader 2.0 support. that means Nvidia 5200 or higher and ATI 9600 or higher. The Mini comes with a ATI 9200 that only support PS 1.2 and not 2.0.
Right now the only machines shipping from Apple that do not support full Core Image is iBook's, eMac's, and the Mini.
As it stands right now, I do not see Tiger coming out until about June and I see Apple going through and updating any machine that does not have a video card that can do PS 2.0. So in about 5 to 6 months I'm sure we will see new iBooks, Mac mini's, and maybe eMac's with FX5200's or Radeon 9600's in them.

Kate
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 04:14 AM

To summarize:

From what I have seen and read at many sites there is alot of confusion about where CoreImage work stands and what it will do and this seems to be the case here as well.
I think this is not the case.

I suggest you view this to better specify your questions and better base it on available information. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/whatson/appleevents/
WWDC 2004 - Graphics and Media State of the Union
Apple VP, Tim Schaaff presents the 2004 Graphics and Media State of the Union at the 2004 Apple World Wide Developer�s Conferenc

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2005, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by yikes600:
The 9200 hardware can't do shaders, so for people hoping Apple will add it to the list of supported cards, it won't ever happen. The reason Apple removed the list is so that potential mini buyers aren't deterred.
I posted a reason similar to yours on the Apple Discussion board, its was deleted almost immediately :-(

Kate
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 08:50 AM

As Apples boards are not only "moderated" but rather "censored" it is usually sufficient to post anything related to "future" Apple software or hardware to get the post removed. I would not conclude too much from this.

However, any "low end" graphics card is less likely to be supported by any demanding software focused at "high end" graphics card. This does not imply that those "low end" cards are completely useless. However their use in the field of CoreImage and Quartz 2D Extreme seems pretty limited if at all possible. Given the upcoming release of Tiger Apples decision to use very low end cards in its consumer line of Macs leaves a somewhat bitter taste so to speak.

Forum Links
Forum Rules