Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Good, low-cost digital camera w/LCD

Good, low-cost digital camera w/LCD
se4587
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2000, 11:01 PM

What's a good, low cost digital camera that anyone could suggest? Sony, Olympus, Kodak? and then what model? I'm looking for one that would have built in memory, a color LCD, and I would transfer the pictures to my G4 via USB (firewire is too expensive). The memory type is irrelevant since I hope to use USB for file transfer, and I guess about 8mb would be enough. I'm no professional, so I don't need all the fancy features, but I also don't want one of those "kiddie" cameras that only take 4 pictures while being tethered to the computer. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Seth
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Paul S
Senior User
Nov 25, 2000, 01:40 AM

I'm not sure how you define low cost. I have a Kodak DC280, 2 Megapixel camera. It has all the features you mention and I think it is an excellent camera. You can get that one in the low $400's online. I print 8X10's on my Epson photo printer that look better than what I get developed from my standard point and shoot 35mm camera.

Sony Mavica cameras start at around $500 and use the floppy unless you buy the CyberShot series. The CyberShot's are expensive and the Mavica's take really bad pictures for the money.

Olympus makes you buy a USB card reader to use on newer Macs. They bundle PC serial and the old Mac serial, but no USB.

Nikon makes great cameras, but you won't find those below $500.

If you have a specific price range you need to be in, post it. I'm sure you'll get a lot of specific responses with that.

se4587  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2000, 01:59 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to spend as little as possible, so it looks like I'll be buying a Kodak, since they have the lowest prices for digital cameras. I'm hesitant though, because my motto is "You get what you pay for". I really want to spend around $200; I think I might be able to find one on eBay, or maybe half.com.

Thanks,
Seth
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

MacBook
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2000, 08:27 AM

I have read that the Kodak DC280 does not have great battery life, but it's hard to tell whether the people reporting this take hundreds of pictures per week or are more occasional photographers. How do you find the battery life on the DC280?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul S:
[B]I'm not sure how you define low cost. I have a Kodak DC280, 2 Megapixel camera. It has all the features you mention and I think it is an excellent camera. You can get that one in the low $400's online. I print 8X10's on my Epson photo printer that look better than what I get developed from my standard point and shoot 35mm camera.

Paul S
Senior User
Nov 25, 2000, 11:10 AM

I got the DC280 in particular because it came bundled with the rechargeable batteries and charger. I have never worn out the batteries completely, but have gotten 40 shots or more with the flash without draining them. I keep a spare set of batteries with me just in case but so far haven't used them.

MacBook
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2000, 01:08 PM

Thanks, Paul, I just ordered one online. As you said, the unit comes with the rechargeable batteries and charger which allays my concerns about the battery life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules