Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Xcode or building an app yourself

Xcode or building an app yourself
Samad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2005, 10:09 PM

About six months ago, I posted a question on this forum on how to write a Makefile that builds a proper Cocoa application. Needless to say, I've been (mostly) successful in writing Makefiles that build Cocoa applications, so I don't need to rely on Xcode for compiling & building.

Does anyone out there use their own custom Makefiles to build their apps or other tools instead of Xcode? In my experience, I've found that Xcode is buggy and frustrating. However, I don't get any of the benefits of ZeroLink, thus greatly increasing compile-time.

hayesk
Jan 18, 2005, 10:56 AM

I don't find XCode buggy. What is the last version you've used?

I don't have any problems building in XCode.

Samad  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 11:37 AM

Xcode 1.1. I tried adding a second target that is a "Unix terminal" program (i.e., it is linked to libc++) and it kept raising exceptions. Plus, it would never build the second target. Anyway, after getting accustomed to Xemcas, I had a hard time switching to Xcode's editor.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 01:15 PM

Update to Xcode 1.5 and see if the problems continue.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 10:55 AM

You can use emacs (although possibly not xemacs) with Xcode. I've never had any problems adding targets. Xcode 1.1 is fairly ancient, you really should use 1.5 if you can.

Samad  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 12:09 AM

Xcode has its benefits, no doubt. But I was wondering if anyone out there used their own techniques for building applications. I personally like using Makefiles because, well, I'm a Unix fanatic � meaning a distrust for "one-size-fits-all" colossus like Xcode.

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2005, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I develop on a Mac, but I don't use Xcode. We use CMake to generate Makefiles for our code. Our code works on Linux too, and used to work on Windows. Someday we might fix the Windows build.

Also I prefer to use vim and gdb from the command line. GUI's just seem too slow sometimes. Or maybe I'm just an old dog who can't learn new tricks.

Samad  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 12:44 AM

Oh yeah, and Xcode has issues with bison and flex�I've been completely unable to set specific options to pass to bison or flex. Makefiles seemed like the only solution to this problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules