Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto default view

iPhoto default view
pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 02:10 AM

Perhaps I'm missing an obvious setting somewhere in iPhoto but I'm having difficulty changing the default album display when I launch the program. See.. here's the problem.

Sometimes I have to be present for photo shoots. I do quite a bit of beverage work and a lot of these shoots involve female models. Sometimes I'm able to convince the photographer and the model to snap a few "edgy" shots (ie: nude in my lap) and I would prefer that these images not show up in the default library view that iPhoto seems hell bent on reverting to every launch. Anyway to change this behavior?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 03:44 AM

Interesting story. Regardless of your motivations, though... iPhoto may not remember which album view it was on when you quit, but it does remember at least some of the state/options for the Library view and will restore them when you relaunch. So, if you have it sorting so the most recent photos are at the top (that's in Preferences, IIRC), you just need to have some more-recent photos and/or set the image-size slider so that the risqueé ones are scrolled off the bottom. Or turn on View > Show Film Rolls; you can collapse individual film rolls, and they'll stay that way next time you quit & relaunch.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 03:52 AM

Yeah, I second the suggestion to view film rolls and collapse the rolls you don't want immediately viewable.

And this thread is useless without pics!

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 04:21 AM

You show pics, we will look into an answer for you.

hornsofglass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 02:55 PM

the best thing to do for "edgy" pictures, that i've found is to use a separate library for those images, and use iPhoto Library Manager (look for it on versiontracker or macupdate) to switch between libraries when you want to see the "naughty" stuff.

i use it all the time to keep our.... personal pics... well, personal, when showing other people stuff on the iBook.

it also keeps people from "accidently" stumbling across stuff you don't want them to see, if they are looking around iPhoto by themselves.

and yes, it works with iPhoto 5 as well.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 11:54 PM

What you need is iPhoto Buddy. You can create a separate iPhoto library for your edgy shots and use iPB to move between the two libraries as needed.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2005, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by Old Toad:
What you need is iPhoto Buddy. You can create a separate iPhoto library for your edgy shots and use iPB to move between the two libraries as needed.
Or iPhoto Library Manager.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 10:52 AM

store the edgy photos in iphoto's trash. just remember not to empty it

Forum Links
Forum Rules