Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X11 question

X11 question
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 12:02 PM

On X11, how do you get the background back?

When I first was learning it, it had a background and some kind of pager, I'm not sure how I got them to disappear, but how do I get them back?

P
Jan 23, 2005, 02:53 PM

I think you're talking about rooted fullscreen vs. rootless. Rootless means that the X11 windows are mixed in with the Aqua windows - rooted means that you have two screens that you switch between, one for X11 and one for Aqua. You seem to have switched from rooted to rootless and want to go back.

Rooted mode is only available in the version from XFree86 or X.org, not Apple's version. You set it in the Preferences, under the Apple menu as usual. As for the pager, it was likely started by one of the startup files, such as startx.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by P:
I think you're talking about rooted fullscreen vs. rootless. Rootless means that the X11 windows are mixed in with the Aqua windows - rooted means that you have two screens that you switch between, one for X11 and one for Aqua. You seem to have switched from rooted to rootless and want to go back.

Rooted mode is only available in the version from XFree86 or X.org, not Apple's version. You set it in the Preferences, under the Apple menu as usual. As for the pager, it was likely started by one of the startup files, such as startx.
I downloaded this one. It wasn't from Apple. I'm in 10.2.8. It had a background to begin with, but somehow I messed it up. The Preferences are:
Input > Emu 3-button mouse, Follow sys keyboard layout, and Enable Key Equiv. under X11

Output > Colors and Sys Alert Effect

Security > Authenticate Security and Allow connections from Network Clients

leira
Jan 23, 2005, 09:25 PM

p: i don't know who told you that Apple's X11 couldn't do rooted mode, but go to Preferences -> Output -> Full Screen Mode.

blackbird: i dont know anything about it, but you will probably find all you need to know at http://xonx.sourceforge.net/

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 10:44 PM

It seems I have beta 3 of x11, runnig xfree86 4.2.1

There's no fullscreen option under output.

P
Jan 24, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
It seems I have beta 3 of x11, runnig xfree86 4.2.1

There's no fullscreen option under output.
That's a very old version, in any case. As every version is faster than the one before, you would do well to download the latest (4.4). It may be that your version was made before the interface for rootless mode was completed.

If you don't want to download a new version (on a modem?) you can edit the config file. It is in ~/Library/Preferences and is called org.xfree86.XDarinw.plist. If you have the developer tools installed you can edit it in the Propertylist editor - if not, you'll have to use a text editor. In any case, edit the key UseRootlessMode from true to false.

leira, you're right that Apple's X11 supports fullscreen mode now. It did not in the beta, and I never looked at it after that.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by P:
That's a very old version, in any case. As every version is faster than the one before, you would do well to download the latest (4.4). It may be that your version was made before the interface for rootless mode was completed.

If you don't want to download a new version (on a modem?) you can edit the config file. It is in ~/Library/Preferences and is called org.xfree86.XDarinw.plist. If you have the developer tools installed you can edit it in the Propertylist editor - if not, you'll have to use a text editor. In any case, edit the key UseRootlessMode from true to false.

leira, you're right that Apple's X11 supports fullscreen mode now. It did not in the beta, and I never looked at it after that.
Thanks.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by P:
It is in ~/Library/Preferences and is called org.xfree86.XDarinw.plist. If you have the developer tools installed you can edit it in the Propertylist editor - if not, you'll have to use a text editor. In any case, edit the key UseRootlessMode from true to false.
I found a preference file. It was't called the same as what you posted, I opened it up but didn't see anything about rotless.

leira
Jan 26, 2005, 06:59 AM

anyway, as stated before, you REALLY should upgrade. the version of X you're running is extremely old. you will get many benefits from using a newer version, including being able to run in fullscreen mode. new versions can be easily had at sites suchas the following.

http://xonx.sf.net
http://fink.sf.net/
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 08:57 AM

I've looked at those site, they kind of confuse me. Can someone explain what I need to do to upgrade. I have fink and fink commander, would that help?

P
Jan 26, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
I've looked at those site, they kind of confuse me. Can someone explain what I need to do to upgrade. I have fink and fink commander, would that help?
Yes. You can use Fink to install X11. If you used Fink to install X11 in the first place, then just upgrade. If you don't, you can still install it this way. I'd prefer grabbing it directly from xfree86.org though.

You can find it here:

http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4...arwin-ppc-6.x/

for 10.2.x

Grab the "Install" file. Install is instructions and also includes a list of which files you need. Grab at least the files listed as mandatory in that file + the file Xquartz.tgz. I usually take everything except:

8. Xfcyr.tgz Cyrillic fonts
10. Xhtml.tgz HTML version of the documentation
11. Xps.tgz PostScript version of the documentation
13. Xjdoc.tgz Documentation in Japanese

Put everything in the same directory. Open the terminal and maneuver to that directory. Type

sudo sh Xinstall.sh

and your password. Then follow the instructions. Accept the defaults unless you're certain that you shouldn't.

leira
Jan 27, 2005, 04:11 AM

EDIT: sorry bout the double post. i dont know what the hell happened.
( Last edited by leira; Jan 27, 2005 at 03:15 PM. )

leira
Jan 27, 2005, 04:11 AM

i didn't know you already had fink installed. these sites should help you out.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/x11/inst-xfree86.php
http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/fink/

although i think that last one is geared more towards apples x11. you should be able to find some good info though.

also macosxhints.com forums has a forum just for x11 problems. in fact that last link is page of a guy that lurks there alot. VERY helpful.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 05:14 AM

Thanks. I'm kind of new to all of this, still.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by P:
Yes. You can use Fink to install X11. If you used Fink to install X11 in the first place, then just upgrade.
I didn't install it with Fink, but could I upgrade it using Fink? (I have Fink installed)

leira
Jan 27, 2005, 03:18 PM

I didn't install it with Fink, but could I upgrade it using Fink? (I have Fink installed)
no. uninstall the old one first. then install the fink one.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by leira:
no. uninstall the old one first. then install the fink one.
Sorry, but how do I uninstall the old one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules