Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook fell off desk

powerbook fell off desk
anticon
Jan 29, 2005, 07:47 PM

My young cousin tripped over a lead coming out of the my 15"albook and it dropped on the carpet landing on its side with the power adapter tip taking the full impact. It has left a dent right the way around the a/c plug. I thought the fall might have broken the tip of the power adapter straight off but it didn't and everything is intact. The adapter light is green now even when not plugged into the powerbook and it doesn't charge. It still goes orange if you twist the plug top around a bit. I have tried my friends adapter and all is well. Charges perfectly. Anyway to fix this before i get a new adapter and how much to sort out the cosmetic damage on the side of the powerbook. Applecare may cover the power adapter but definitely not the dent.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear about it! I haven't had any real damage from the couple of times I've dropped mine, thankfully!

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by anticon:
My young cousin tripped over a lead coming out of the my 15"albook and it dropped on the carpet landing on its side with the power adapter tip taking the full impact. It has left a dent right the way around the a/c plug. I thought the fall might have broken the tip of the power adapter straight off but it didn't and everything is intact. The adapter light is green now even when not plugged into the powerbook and it doesn't charge. It still goes orange if you twist the plug top around a bit. I have tried my friends adapter and all is well. Charges perfectly. Anyway to fix this before i get a new adapter and how much to sort out the cosmetic damage on the side of the powerbook. Applecare may cover the power adapter but definitely not the dent.
DEJA VU:
exceptions:
young cousin=my own stupid self
15"albook=12"albook
landed on ac plug=landed on superdrive

applecare will probably cover your adapter, but not the cosmetics
i just came back from apple with a parts list of what i need to fix mine
bottom case=148.44
superdrive=310.94
labor=135

so, i'm sure that your case is pretty close to the same price as mine, and i believe tha you will be charged tier-2 labor as well, so i would guess that you're looking at around $300 if all you need is the case. however, I was told that if they find anything else wrong, you will get a call, and they can order more parts. Also, you will probably be without your precious for about a week, unless you have procare. I just purchased procare today ($99), and that gets your baby back in around 2-3 business days (no work on weekends). Hope that helps.
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

anticon  (op)
Jan 29, 2005, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by senseigmg:
DEJA VU:
exceptions:
young cousin=my own stupid self
15"albook=12"albook
landed on ac plug=landed on superdrive

applecare will probably cover your adapter, but not the cosmetics
i just came back from apple with a parts list of what i need to fix mine
bottom case=148.44
superdrive=310.94
labor=135

so, i'm sure that your case is pretty close to the same price as mine, and i believe tha you will be charged tier-2 labor as well, so i would guess that you're looking at around $300 if all you need is the case. however, I was told that if they find anything else wrong, you will get a call, and they can order more parts. Also, you will probably be without your precious for about a week, unless you have procare. I just purchased procare today ($99), and that gets your baby back in around 2-3 business days (no work on weekends). Hope that helps.

cheers for the info. Honestly what i said is true. How do i post a pic of the damage. I click on the insert image and nothing happens. Going to bed now. Tell me how to post an image and i will do in the morning( uk time )

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by anticon:
cheers for the info. Honestly what i said is true. How do i post a pic of the damage. I click on the insert image and nothing happens. Going to bed now. Tell me how to post an image and i will do in the morning( uk time )
find an online web server that will host your photos for you. upload.

control+click or right click on the image and open image in new window. copy and paste that address between image tags.

[img] www.macnn.com/asd/dsa/qwe/ewq/nmm.jpg [/img]

without the spaces.
iamwhor3hay

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2005, 11:24 PM

I share your pain. I did virtually the same thing to my 12" about a year ago, when it was only a couple of months old. Went to put it on a shelf at shoulder height, it slipped out of my hands, landed on the rock hard wooden parquet floor on its front right corner (battery). I think I cried. Big nasty dent - the casing buckled - I actually took a hammer to it to get it back into some vague resemblance of its proper shape, and to get the battery to fit again. Incredibly, it worked on being switched back on, and a year later it still works fine. They're amazingly robust. The cosmetic damage is something I could have lived without, but the main thing is, it works. If that's any consolation.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 01:30 AM

mine was 6.5 days old when it fell.

DAYS!!

kkorn4325
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 02:25 AM

I dented mine by the slot where you could put an extrenal wireless card. It was caused by a chain reaction. I took a computer chair base that reclined and screwed it to my chair since it didnt recline. one night i was trying to play music and it was only coming out of one speaker so i grab my pb and start to move and thenmy chairbroke off the base becaus ei was siting on the front part. this made me hit my pb on the desk, which i didnt relize anything happened to the pb till the next day. from the result the little door wouldnt open but i was able to get it to open again a few months ago. i was a bad noght over all.
Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5 1 gig ram, 160 gig HD, Wireless Card
128 mb Videocard Hooked up to 2 monitiors.

Formac Studio TVR
10" Powerbook 180 27.8 mb HD, 14 kb RAM 16 colors and a 3 1/2 disc drive.

1 gig RAM, External 160 GB Firewire drive @ 7200

Stolen: 15" 1.25 G4 Powerbook 80 GB @ 4200, SD,

anticon  (op)
Jan 30, 2005, 09:16 AM

Heres a pic of the dent around the power slot

http://homepage.mac.com/robwalsh21/PhotoAlbum1.html

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2005, 11:27 AM

Oof!

Mine:

That's 'after' - it looked a lot worse 'before' I took the hammer to it and engaged in a bit of panel beating. You can also see some buckling around the superdrive, fortunately it hasn't affected operation.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 02:05 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/shivang.patel/PhotoAlbum2.html

Mine seem minor compared to both of yours

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 05:05 PM

I've noticed that my iBook power adaptor faintly lights up if i touch it while plugged in. I think it lights up when it is being grounded or if current is passing through it. Try to see if anyof this is happening with your power adaptor. Since it's already not working, trying to fix it couldn't do any harm, right? (Unless Applecare covers it)

anticon  (op)
Jan 30, 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
I've noticed that my iBook power adaptor faintly lights up if i touch it while plugged in. I think it lights up when it is being grounded or if current is passing through it. Try to see if anyof this is happening with your power adaptor. Since it's already not working, trying to fix it couldn't do any harm, right? (Unless Applecare covers it)

I am gonna ring applecare in the morning. As there is no external damage on the adapter I am gonna say it just stopped working. I have the extended warranty so I think I should get it replaced easily enough. I'm gonna wait a month or so to get the bottom of the case replaced. I need my laptop for work at the moment.

Mintcake, that looks nasty. Don't think I could have my live with damage like that on my powerbook. Have you had a quote from Apple to replace the case?
I sympathize with anyone who damages theirs. Felt sick when it happened to mine.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2005, 06:33 PM

I looked into it, it was going to cost a fortune. At the time, my household insurance wouldn't cover it, nor would the Apple warranty.

It physically hurt for the first few days.

Now though I can honestly say that I never think about it (except when threads like this pop up). It looks bad in the photo but it's not really that noticeable. After it happened, I told everyone about it, looking for sympathy. When they saw it in the 'flesh' though they were like "WTF? Get a sense of proportion!"

The only thing it really affects is its resale value, and seeing as it's my first Mac, bought with a legacy from a beloved grandmother, this is staying with me for life, in fact it's going to follow me into my coffin.

t500
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 07:01 PM

Thats an ugly bump.

My 2 year old son (36 pounds) took my 12 inch 867 off the table and laid it on the floor. He then started to jump on it on the back of the Screen (was closed)... I know bad me for leaving it out. Guess what.. No dents or dings. Works Just as good as it ever did. Glad he was only wearing socks....

Way to go Apple!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by mintcake:
Oof!
That's 'after' - it looked a lot worse 'before' I took the hammer to it and engaged in a bit of panel beating. You can also see some buckling around the superdrive, fortunately it hasn't affected operation.
Adds character.

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2005, 07:40 PM

Exactly.

I do the same thing with brand new silk ties - get mayonnaise on 'em first day. Might as well get it over with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules