Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > strange safari behavior

strange safari behavior
barbarian
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 10:15 PM

on several of our machines safari has inexplicably started slowing down to molasses pace.

Loading of pages is painful. Spinning wheel etc.

No other apps seem to be affected.

Firefox works fine.

I tried getting rid of all prefs. Clearing caches, fixing permissions etc. nothing seems to work... ideas?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 10:35 PM

What happens when you disable all options (plug-ins, java, and javascript)?

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 12:03 AM

Yup, Java seems to be the culprit, just watch eBay or TVGuide.com. Ughhh, this is getting out of hand....

Last week Azureus just stop working (Java App). This seems to have happened ever since I installed 10.3.7. I reinstalled Java 1.4.2 Update 2 again, this let me run Azureus again, and the slowdowns in Safari are not that bad.

Also, at the same time I upgraded my PowerMac G5 1.8DP, from 2GB to 4GB of RAM. Strangley, this helped enormously. I can only think there is some major Memory issues with Java (and Safari). Hope Apple fixess this shite with 10.3.8. It's fscking annoying.....
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2005, 01:05 PM

Have you tried cleaning out the favicon-cache (/Library/Safari/Icons/)

A hot tip is to delete everything in that folder, and then set it to read only to keep this from happening again.

also check:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...40323144305318
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...40324004506941

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 01:39 PM

If you have autofill on, edit down the list. This will kill your loading time. Other ways to speed it up is disabling the cache and the favicon cache. Safari Speed is a good way to decrease the page delay time as well without using Terminal.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

themexican
Feb 2, 2005, 03:07 PM

Even disabling everything and cleaning the caches, I'm having problems... for now the solution is just firefox.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2005, 03:22 PM

I don't really have a slowdown issue but if I leave Safari in the background, sometimes I find everything else going slow and I check the activity monitor to find Safari using 50%+ of my CPU and 600MB virtual memory. This only happens sometimes and usually if I leave it overnight. It's odd because it's not actually doing anything so why would it need the CPU? It wasn't even hung up.

I don't like Firefox for a number of reasons but Safari most certainly needs a good number of bugfixes to be a permanent replacement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules