Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Connecting pismo and albook to tv as DVD player?

Connecting pismo and albook to tv as DVD player?
pete
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 01:23 PM

Hi,

Can somebody direct me to a good quality cable I can use to use my pismo and powerbook G4 al as a dvd player? I gather that I will need an s-video out cable for the pismo but what about the powerbook G4? And what about sound? Is there a cable that does everything, incl. sound?

Also, what is the quality of the picture like?

thanks - feel so ignorant but I've never tried this before and wanted to make sure I get the right, good quality cable.

Thanks!

Pete

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 01:27 PM

Your PBG4 should have an S-Video output port next to the DVI port. I watch DVDs all the time with my TiBook's S-Video port. As for sound, I use the headphone jack and convert it to left/right RCA connectors with an adapter I got from Radio Shack.

Voch

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 01:30 PM

ha! Your're right. There is an s-video out port there! Never noticed it. So I should use that instead of the digital video port...

oops

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by pete:
ha! Your're right. There is an s-video out port there! Never noticed it. So I should use that instead of the digital video port...
You can drive a separate DVI or VGA (with adapter) display with the DVI port, an S-Video or composite (with adapter) TV/VCR/whatever with the S-Video port, and your internal LCD all at the same time if you wanted to (well, at least two of those things...I'm not sure if you can do all three at the same time...the DVI/S-Video ports may be either-or).

You can use either "mirroring" mode (show the same stuff on your internal LCD and the external display(s)) or "spanning" mode (use all of them as separate numbered arranged displays).

Voch

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
As for sound, I use the headphone jack and convert it to left/right RCA connectors with an adapter I got from Radio Shack.
I always like the early iceBook solution with sound and composite video coming out from the headphone jack. One cable with a/v RCA connections. Much cleaner solution, though bizarre that they had a video signal coming from an audio port.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I always like the early iceBook solution with sound and composite video coming out from the headphone jack. One cable with a/v RCA connections. Much cleaner solution, though bizarre that they had a video signal coming from an audio port.
I had one of those iBook/500s. It was nifty but I was always worried about losing the dongle connector thingy on the road. It'd be nice to have on my TiBook, though, now that I'm using it as a video player a lot.

Voch

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 04:26 AM

Since my dvd player died, I use my al pb all the time. S video to rca to the tv. It came with the adapter for that. I also use the headphones jack, and plug right into the speakers I use. You may notice some artifacts. I certainly can on very dark scenes with the connection I use. Not bad though, especially from across the room. What a complete package the pb's are!
15 inches of aluminum fury

Forum Links
Forum Rules