Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > REALbasic & The Developer Community

REALbasic & The Developer Community
Samad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 01:48 PM

What place does REALbasic have in the developer community? How popular is it amongst developers/hobbyists? Are there lots of professional OS X programs out there made with REALbasic? Is it an effective developer platform? Has it really replaced the position HyperCard once had? What are your guys' experiences?

I remember REALbasic 1.0. When I started to get into it, there was a small hobbyist group that got together on some Hotline server. I think I stopped playing with it around with it around version 3.0.

osxisfun
Feb 12, 2005, 03:06 PM

its radically different now. (but not like hypercard)

the best place to get this answered though is to sign up for the RB mail list and ask there. the diff between 3 and 5.5 is amazing.

but here is the deal:

What do YOU want to build?

that should be the determine factor. paper prototype your app. look into the gritty sections of your app. does it need tcp or http communications? look up how to do it in RB look how to do it in Cocoa; in java.

figure how much time you want to spend on it. then start.

what good is a tool language if you can't figure it out and you never ship?

RB is pretty f=ing easy.

Samad  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

My question is more about how you, the developers, see REALbasic. What are some of your experiences�successes or failures? Benefits or downfalls?

osxisfun
Feb 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

oh.

that might too open ended to be helpful to you.its been great for the stuff i built.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 04:14 PM

Uh....Real What?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 05:41 PM

Realbasic applications often look like os 9 apps ported to Mac OS X. They rarely use native widgets and it just feels hackish. That said it's very easy to use as a rapid development tool and fairly powerful.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 04:16 PM

Real Basic is oh-so-easy. You can get started with 3D graphics and networking very easily, if you know the Basic language. A Visual Basic programmer could pick it up in 1 day.

Real Basic Professional can compile applications for Mac, Windows and Linux, from the same project! The Real Basic IDE is for Mac, Windows and, in less than 3 months, Linux too. No other programming environment has made cross-platform development as easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules