Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iCurve vs iLap

iCurve vs iLap
fridexter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 01:19 AM

iLap

iCurve

Right now I'm looking for a stand so I can use my PB more comofortably as a desktop. The iLap and iCurve were the first two items that everyone raved about. I like the iLap a lotbecause it seems more secure than the iCurve. If my dog were to hit and nudge my desk, I'd imagine the rubber strips on the iCurve wouldn't be enough. With the iLap, it just seems like it'd stay in position and hold. But then again, I'm not exactly sure and it's just what I've heard from a few iCurve owners. Another consideration is that the iLap is about $30 more than the iCurve.. :x

If anyone can shine some light on these two products, on their advantages and disadvantages, I'd greatly appreciate it!

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 01:46 AM

as long as you don't put the stand right next to the edge of the desk, or have wires hanging that can be tripped over(how mine became dented) you'll be fine with iCurve. The strips hold very well. I can pull/push the PB without any sliding. I would say that it depends on the height of your desk. If it's tall, i wouldn't recommend the iCurve, as it looks taller than the iLap. You don't want to be looking up at the screen (trust me, looking up for cell bio lectures on the screen kills the neck). Also, if you type hard, as in punding on keys, it will cause the iCurve to bounce unless you have a stable desk. Mine's glass, so it kinda bounces sometimes.

Hope this helps
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2005, 02:09 AM

I own both of these, and I can say they are both good. Stability is not really an issue with the iCurve... I never felt as if my laptop was going to fall off, even when nudged pretty hard (although I will say the stand itself moves pretty easily across a desk as there are no silicone feet on the bottom of the stand). I currently am using the iLap due to the fact that I no longer have a desk at home... it works nice when I'm working in a chair or on the couch, but it also elevates my PowerBook when I'm sitting at the kitchen table. I actually found that the PowerBook is more inclined to slide on the iLap when its in "desk" mode. The iCurve is really for someone who wants a more desktop like setup... it sits the PowerBook screen higher than the iLap, but you will certainly need an external keyboard to do any serious typing. If that is the setup you desire, then go with the iCurve. If you are simply looking for something to elevate your PowerBook slightly but still allow you to easily use your built-in keyboard, then go for the iLap. Hope this helps!

Chris

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 04:07 AM

I also have both. Love the iCurve. If I had a second chance, I wouldn't have bought the iLap.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 08:01 AM

The iCurve is nice if your desk doesn't have a keyboard tray. You can put the PB on the iCurve and then put an external keyboard underneath the iCurve. This saves desk space.

However you can use the iLap on your lap if you want to work somewhere other than your desk. Another positive of the iLap is that it can also work as a desk stand as well. But you'll have to put the keyboard in front of the iLap instead of under it like the iCurve. But if you have a keyboard tray then it won't matter. I believe you can find do-it-yourself keyboard trays at furniture stores and computer stores. Otherwise you can find a desk that has a keyboard tray.

I like the iCurve but I love my iLap because I can take it anywhere in the house. The iCurve is generally stuck to a desk and not suited for lap use.

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 09:07 AM

Does anybody else think that these (esp. the icurve) look absolutely ridiculous?

edit: sp.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by jamiep:
Does anybody else think that these (esp. the icurve) look absolutely ridiculous?.
Np, because it's perfectly functional. You can't really see it if a PowerBook or iBook is on it. It's of a good height, does the job and looks good. Plus, as mentioned above, you can put the external keyboard right under the laptop when you're done with it.

tae667
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by jamiep:
Does anybody else think that these (esp. the icurve) look absolutely ridiculous?
My girlfriend forced me to remove my computer from our living room when I bought iCurve

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by tae667:
My girlfriend forced me to remove my computer from our living room when I bought iCurve
c'mon now, How can you let that happen???

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by fridexter:
Right now I'm looking for a stand so I can use my PB more comofortably as a desktop. The iLap and iCurve were the first two items that everyone raved about. I like the iLap a lotbecause it seems more secure than the iCurve. If my dog were to hit and nudge my desk, I'd imagine the rubber strips on the iCurve wouldn't be enough. With the iLap, it just seems like it'd stay in position and hold. But then again, I'm not exactly sure and it's just what I've heard from a few iCurve owners. Another consideration is that the iLap is about $30 more than the iCurve.. :x

If anyone can shine some light on these two products, on their advantages and disadvantages, I'd greatly appreciate it!

for your needs i'd go with the iLap. the iCurve is best when used with a separate keyboard as it rocks and flexes when typed upon; my ibook is my roaming computer and stays perched up on it until needed. i don't think it is in danger of falling off or getting tipped (note: mine does not normally hanng off the desk as seen in pic). i also have a white Podium CoolPad i keep in the living room. that thing is awesome. also have a black one for the powerbook. great for travel, i always had it in my bookbag when i was in school. you may want to check it out http://www.roadtools.com/ what i also like is that you can change the angle OR turn it around for a reverse slant, which is better (for me anyway) for lap use.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Chris_G:
(although I will say the stand itself moves pretty easily across a desk as there are no silicone feet on the bottom of the stand).Chris
This is intentional. The iCurve came with optional "feet" to stick on the bottom if you want it to stay in one place. Without them, the base is designed to slide around to move the system easially.
<This space under renovation>

fridexter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 03:30 PM

Oh yeah, I'll be using an external keyboard and my desk has a keyboard tray.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 07:18 PM

Do you think that the iLap would be useable in bed? Or would it be easier just to lay it on the chest?

(I know. I know. Get up to use the computer. But still. )

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 08:49 PM

The iLap sux.

Does not get enough air underneath it.

I found that with the three 12" PB's I tried on it each one slid off when the cushion thing was not on it.

As a result I modded mine out. Now it works much better, and it looks much nicer, at least it does to me.

I call it the iScrap, and placed bumpers at all 4 corners to lift it up even more from the Al surface of the thing...

to be honoest I really do not use it that much more as I prefer my own custom copper creation, as it provides a nicer/higher angle than the iScrap...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 02:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by teknopimp:
[B]

Dude, get a different shot. I've seen that photo in at least 4 other threads.

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 10:00 AM

I used epoxy cement to put 4 plastic feet on the bottom so that my PB doesn't slide off.

I think the theory at the web site said that the bottom of the PB is supposed to come in contact with the iLap because the iLap draws the heat away from the bottom of the PB and acts like a huge heat sink. So there really shouldn't be any space between the iLap and the PB.

I still like to use it when I'm on the couch or on the bed.

The iLap is just too bulky to put into my travel bag. That's why I have a RoadTools Traveller's CoolPad. Much more portable and slimmer in design.

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
The iLap sux.

Does not get enough air underneath it.

I found that with the three 12" PB's I tried on it each one slid off when the cushion thing was not on it.

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 02:38 PM

Well, after reading this thread...
I decided to get the icurve.
I'll post a picture when I get it(if my powerbook ever ships)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 03:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wilsonng:
I used epoxy cement to put 4 plastic feet on the bottom so that my PB doesn't slide off.

I think the theory at the web site said that the bottom of the PB is supposed to come in contact with the iLap because the iLap draws the heat away from the bottom of the PB and acts like a huge heat sink. So there really shouldn't be any space between the iLap and the PB.

I still like to use it when I'm on the couch or on the bed.

The iLap is just too bulky to put into my travel bag. That's why I have a RoadTools Traveller's CoolPad. Much more portable and slimmer in design.
[/QUOTE

Ye, supposed to be some sort of passive cooling....

Maybe works in theory but in my expereinece it didn't work in practice...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules