Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AOL for Mac OS X... any good?

AOL for Mac OS X... any good?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 06:58 AM

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...formacosx.html

Is this any good on a Mac? I've heard bad stuff about AOL apps on PC putting little files everywhere and taking over the system, is the same true for OS X. Even though its AOL, the stuff this app says it does looks quite funky.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 07:39 AM

hi

i used the aol client for a few weeks end of last year (using their free month trial during my us vacation to get free internet access) and it worked (mostly) ok. granted, the app quit a few times unexpectedly and is one of the few ones that i had to force quit now and then, but it did the job to get me online. i never used the app for anything else, like email/surfing/whatever though. never bothered to actually remove it, doesn't take up much space on my hd and i am already prepared for the next trip :-)

there are a lot of other isps which are significantly cheaper than aol, unless you are interested in their extra value stuff of course.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 08:10 AM

It gets the job done, but I wouldn't use it for Web browsing. Use it to connect and maybe check your e-mail, but use another browser for Web stuff.

AOL has always been better about not spraying stuff all over your hard drive on the Mac than it ever was on Windows. The OSX versions have been something of a step back as far as this goes, but even the worst of these was better than the Windows version. The latest release, which just came out a week or two ago, is better than previous versions about this.

But once again, don't bother with its built-in browser. Almost any browser on the Mac -anything but IE/Mac- is better.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 08:12 AM

Oh so this app is just the same thing as they send out on the free CD's? Can you just use the app without the subscription if you already have your internet connection setup?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 08:32 AM

yep, that's the same app. first thing the app does is to connect to aol (start internet connection). if you already have internet, the app is pointless, unless you would like to change to aol.
if you would like aol instant messenger, you do not need this app, you can download the messenger seperately.
iMac G5 (iSight), 20", 2.1 GHz / 1,5GB RAM / 250GB
12'' G4 ibook 1.2 GHz / 1.25 GB / 30 GB
40GB 4G ipod & 1GB ipod shuffle

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:

Is this any good on a Mac? I've heard bad stuff about AOL apps on PC putting little files everywhere and taking over the system, is the same true for OS X. Even though its AOL, the stuff this app says it does looks quite funky.
Why be so limiting? I've heard bad things about AOL, peroid. There are so many other options - cheaper ones, too.

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 10:40 AM

I cannot imagine why anyone would WANT to use AOL. Ever.

When you get AOL, you get:

1. Really bloated, crappy software. Don't get me started on that AOL web browser.
2. A nice big monthly fee. I'm going to pay $25 for DIAL-UP? Un, no... Or, if you have broadband, an extra ~15.
3. Email
4. Some web space.
5. Ads.

Sound fun? The only two useful features are the email and web space, both of which are available free from a huge number of places. Just get a broadband connection, some free email, and some webspace. That way, you'll be minus the ads and crappy software!
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 10:47 AM

Rarely, if ever, have I had a problem with AOL for X.

I use it primarily for email and not much else so I can not address the other features. For sure Safari, FireFox and others are better browsers. At least in my opinion. The Mail features are also very nice and work flawlessly.

The SPAM filtering system works great and the auto responder is well done, but I wish it would allow me to tailor the auto response, rather than merely selecting from a few canned responses.

Just as Word generally receives high marks from the pundits, but carries the burden of unpopular "management", AOL is likewise in a similar situation. The product is fine enough, but the 'Management" and the shoddy way it has treated (former) customers is not to be envied.

AOL has taken some well deserved hits (IMNHO), but I think they are finally beginning to catch on and make significant strides.

While milage will vary, I suggest you take the advice from those who have actually used AOL X, not those who base their opinion on what AOL used to be. And then let the chips fall as they may...

Since I bring my own ISP, my cost is $14.95 per month.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 11:17 AM

After years of trying different ISP/browser/OS combos, I have come to the conclusion that AOL SUX period, on ALL platforms........no if's, ands, or butts about it

1) Bloated
2) buggy
3) Spreads crap all over your system
4) loads a bunch of buggy, bloated, UNNECESSARY crap into your system without your consent or knowledge
5) Virtually impossible to properly remove all known & unknown components without doing serious damage to your system files
6) AOL mail has always had & continues to have serious cross-platform problems & limitations with images, formatting and sizes
7) MORE $$ than other, better services

I've just spent the last 2 months working on 5 windblows boxes & 3 macs for my friends to help rid them of all of the above. 5 of the 8 boxes required zeroing all data on the HD & reinstalling the OS. 1 box was so badly fubarred that I had to REPLACE the HD entirely !
( Last edited by bowwowman; Feb 23, 2005 at 11:25 AM. )
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 12:18 PM

Oh so this app is just the same thing as they send out on the free CD's?
Theoretically yes, but again, the latest release is so recent that new CDs probably haven't been distribute yet. Therefore, the version you download will be newer.
Can you just use the app without the subscription if you already have your internet connection setup?
You have to subscribe in order to use the app, but if you connect to the Internet through some other means then you can use that to download the app.

In fairness, the Mac version of AOL's software isn't bloated. It has other problems, to be sure, but bloat isn't one of them. They save that for the PC side of things

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 11:54 AM

I used this app when I first got to school and have hated it since the first time I launched it more than 2 years ago. I wanted a way to check my aol mail without using their web interface and what I do now is not check my mail at all. I have always updated the app to the newest out there and my system has no hacks. Either the app would quit by itself for no reason, or after clicking on a mail message to open it, bam. it quit. I could relaunch 10 times in a row and each time I tried clicking on a mail message it would quit. Its a bunch of crap and I do not think you should even waste your time downloading it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 11:59 AM

I consider it to be the worst app ever created for the Mac OS X. First, it crashes 15% of the time i log off. Second, it's SLOW. Third, it's missing 90% of the features of it's Windows counterpart. Fourth, AOL rarely releases updates (were talking years). Fifth, do i really need a fifth?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
I used this app when I first got to school and have hated it since the first time I launched it more than 2 years ago. I wanted a way to check my aol mail without using their web interface and what I do now is not check my mail at all. I have always updated the app to the newest out there and my system has no hacks. Either the app would quit by itself for no reason, or after clicking on a mail message to open it, bam. it quit. I could relaunch 10 times in a row and each time I tried clicking on a mail message it would quit. Its a bunch of crap and I do not think you should even waste your time downloading it.
Some people do need it, though, for things like e-mail and posibly IM. AOL's own Communicator software is much better for that, though, if you only use these things. Less bloat, more stability, and an AIM client that's much better than the original.

xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 11:30 AM

I just had to install AOL to get dial-up access at my parents' house while waiting for the DSL installation. Agreed, it sucks. Their tech support is horrible, as well as all the other reasons listed above. Free internet until DSL gets here tempted me to do it....

I'd like to know: is there any way to bypass AOL's software and just dial directly from the menu bar? I went to internet connect and entered the phone #, username, password, etc. When I click connect from the menu bar it dials, connects, but then says "Authentication Failed". Is there any way to work around it?

I seriously hate that AOL interface. Why are they still trying? Are there really people so naive that they would need all of that in order to check their e-mail, news, etc.? (LOL)

Daude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 05:59 PM

I've got so tired of all the inadequacies of AOL, I cancelled my membership after more than 10 years. My screen name was MacFan, I didn't even have a number after it, that's how long I paid them for ignoring Mac.
You should've heard them trying to talk me into staying. I just could no longer stand all the messages about half the features not working on Macs.
If my memory serves me right, they originated with the Apple Village (I think it was called, many years ago). Now these bums ignore us. Good riddance to AOL, I say.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by xtremekinetix
I'd like to know: is there any way to bypass AOL's software and just dial directly from the menu bar? I went to internet connect and entered the phone #, username, password, etc. When I click connect from the menu bar it dials, connects, but then says "Authentication Failed". Is there any way to work around it?
It's not quite the same, but AOL has a "light" version in beta testing called AOL Connect. You might want to look at that.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 08:13 PM

Actually, the Mac OS X client doesn't really spew stuff all over your drive, at all.

But the only justification for AOL is if you do lots of world-wide travel and need local-rate dial access world-wide.

Forum Links
Forum Rules