Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Connecting to my work PC (what is the best program to use)

Connecting to my work PC (what is the best program to use)
Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 09:13 PM

I have to connect my home Apple Computer to my Work PC. I need to access files from the work computers.

I've read some interesting articles on Timbuktu and Remote Desktop Connection. Has anyone used either of these? Is it hard to set up on the PC? What is the best program to do so?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:33 PM

If you are going to be crossing firewalls (and I hope that you have them), check out GoToMyPC. It's the best solution if you don't want to spend a lot of time messing with opening ports.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:51 PM

assuming you have a pptp vpn, use internet connect and then microsoft's own remote desktop connection app.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

Green Leaf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 11:00 PM

I wanted to use a program, not a web based system.
( Last edited by Green Leaf; Feb 27, 2005 at 11:05 PM. )

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Green Leaf:
I wanted to use a program, not a web based system.
a) gotomypc is a program that happens to have a centralized web based login

b) re-read my post if you're replying to me. RDC is not web based in any way.

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 28, 2005, 10:09 AM

RDC is great, but I think it allows only remote control and not file transfer. I have used Timbuktu to connect to my office PC from my home Mac for both file transfer and remote control and it works well.

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 01:56 AM

I use a combination of RDC for remote control and FTP for file transfer. Fairly easy to set up and 'standard'. If you just need network access can you set up a VPN and use either the OSX inbuild VPN client or DigiTunnel

GoToMyPC was nothing but a pain when I tried to get it working, and VNC is just a little too slow to be comfortable.

I'd love to see an extension to RDC that allows files to be shipped from local to remote machine with ease - but can't see MS producing that in a hurry - also some more performance improvements would be great... if it was fast enough to use reliably over a 3G/EDGE phone connection it would really rock

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 03:33 PM

MS-RDC does allow local drive sharing; works wonderfully connecting to an XP/Server 2003 machine for sharing out local Mac drives to the remote Windows machine(s).

Under Options/Local Resources, enable the "Disk Drives" options, and when you connect to either of the above platforms, your hard drives will appear under the "Other" menu of the file tree.

Enjoy!

Originally posted by zzarg:
I'd love to see an extension to RDC that allows files to be shipped from local to remote machine with ease - but can't see MS producing that in a hurry - also some more performance improvements would be great... if it was fast enough to use reliably over a 3G/EDGE phone connection it would really rock
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

John Strung
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 04:12 PM

That's right. Someone else pointed that out to me after my earlier post. As well, you can also have the option of using your local printer or a remote printer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules