Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Need to replace Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos Disk (is it always PC/Mac)?

Need to replace Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos Disk (is it always PC/Mac)?
waterbuck
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 11:07 PM

I had purchased a Warcraft 3 Battle chest complete with both the Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne disk. It played fine on my 667MHz Powerbook until the CD-Rom Combo-drive decided to eat the Reign of Chaos disk and not recognize it or give it back (3rd time the Combo-drive failed).

Applecare, to their credit, offered to send me a new AlBook if I sent in the old Powerbook, but they could not promise to send back the lost Reign of Chaos disk.

I have not yet received the AlBook but I am cruising eBay to find the cheapest disk I can. I have my own CD-key and case still.

Some vendors write "PC-only" next to their Warcraft Reign of Chaos disk, but I thought all these Blizzard games came out as PC/Mac-compatible, right? Can I go ahead and buy whatever I can find?

Are any of you WoW people seeking to get rid of your Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos disk at a low but fair price?

Thanks
Waterbuck
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

benb
Feb 27, 2005, 11:37 PM

If you don't mind not having an original disk, try P2P software. If you have your CD key, of course.

waterbuck  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 11:49 PM

Yeah-I have my original CD key--I paid $40 for the whole set, and I still have the frozen throne CD-Rom. I don't really know what the best P2P software is for mac...anyone know?

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2005, 03:03 AM

you can probably get a replacement from blizzard if you send in your damaged one. many companies will send replacement CDs if you send proof of purchase (what this is varies)... the original game CD badly damaged should do

however, they usually charge far too much for this service. Don't know about blizz.

P2P for mac... well, for a game, probably bittorrent.... but since it is a PC game on the same disc, some of the networks (use, say XFactor) could work I suppose.

Also, your RoC disk isn't ever really needed unless you want to strictly play RoC... single player or multiplayer. If you are playing multiplayer with expansion or the single player campaign for TFT, the RoC disk is unnecessary. However, since your disk was in the drive to get killed, I imagine you must play RoC... and if you wanted to play it again, you'd need the CD.

Bummer, good luck, and yay for apple replacing your book for ya.

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2005, 01:21 PM

It'll be needed if you need to reinstall on your new 'book, though...
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2005, 01:35 AM

I would just contact blizzard. Your cd key might be enough for them??? If not, I'm very sure you can download it via bittorrent...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

waterbuck  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
I would just contact blizzard. Your cd key might be enough for them??? If not, I'm very sure you can download it via bittorrent...
Blizzard's replacement policy was sufficiently inviting that I went on eBay and bought a used disk.

Blizzard's replacement policy page

It's not terrible, however.If you have lost a disk, you send them whatever else you have left (in my case I had the expansion pack disk from the Battle Chest version), plus a $10 U.S. money order, to a PO Box. Then they send you (how much delay?) the replacement.

I figured that if I actually had to pay postage for my disk and the remaining manuals from the Battle Chest, plus $10, the total expense for me would be about $15. But I was worried that this could be a slow process.

I bought a disk off eBay for $10 plus $3 postage and it should be faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules