Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My New Kitty (pix)

My New Kitty (pix) (Page 3)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
This is Tiger, who turned 13 last September. He's been sticking out his tongue a lot lately
This is an odd behaviour, so i Googled and returned this, just FYI:

Cat sticking out tongue

Question: dear Dr Mike,

our black cat KeeKee, who arrived here four years ago and stayed and therefore whose age is not quite known, but who is getting up there in years(8? 9? 10?) and who tested positive for leukemia four years ago has been for all appearances healthy since. as an outdoorcat he was quite the hunter, and very strong. on several occassions dragging full-sized rabbits through his cat door....upon neutering he has taken increasingly to indoor living. _ lately he sticks his tongue out partway a lot. i often see him sitting around like that. _ my husband thinks he does that because he's happy. _ but to me it seems he might not be in control of it. _ I am wondering if youve ever heard of this or seen it. and if it might
be some kind of indicator of some condition or other...

thanks for your time if you get around to this...I realize you may have a thousand more pressing matters.

Lily

Answer: Lily-

Before I get to the part where I tell you the things that might be wrong, I have to be sure to say that if KeeKee seems normal in all other respects it is very likely that he is normal and that your husband is right --- or at least that there isn't a harmful cause of his tongue sticking out habit.

Now that we got through that part, there are some things that can cause the tongue to stick out or to enlarge, which might make it stick out, too.

Acromegaly, which is a hormonal disease that affects a small number of cats in their lifetime, makes the tongue enlarge in some patients and it may stick out slightly when this occurs. This is disease in which there is too much production of growth hormone and it causes increased drinking and urination, increased appetite, enlargement of the head, separation of the teeth (they move apart as the jaw grows), heart disease and other symptoms. Since you don't report any of these signs, I am hoping that none are present.

There are several reports on cats with feline leukemia that include observations of tongue sores, which might cause the tongue to stick out. In addition, there are some anecdotal observations of cats with feline leukemia sticking their tongues out, with no mention of cause. There is a chance in these cats that they would have done this, anyway, and that the
feline leukemia virus just happened to be present.

Several diseases that can affect the central nervous system can cause the tongue to stick out or to fall out of the mouth on one side or the other (this doesn't usually happen in cats because their tongue isn't as mobile as a dogs)._ Toxoplasmosis, feline infectious eritonitis and feline immunodeficiency virus are possible diseases that can cause neurologic signs in cats.

It is possible for tooth problems, gingivitis and pharyngeal problems to make it more comfortable for a cat to keep its tongue held out rather than in the mouth. Usually by the time this happens there is some evidence of difficulty swallowing or discomfort while eating.

If KeeKee develops something that really seems like an illness to you, then it would be a good idea to see your vet as soon as possible. I am pretty sure that you are not seeing anything like this at this time, based on your note. So I think it would be OK to wait for the next routine visit to ask your vet about this problem unless I am wrong about the lack of other signs, currently.

Mike Richards, DVM
1/18/2001
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 06:54 PM

interesting, the only time i really see my cats tongue out is after he has been licking himself. and it just sticks out alittle bit. one thing that is kind of freaky is sometimes his tail will start twitching for a second or two. almost like a spasm

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
interesting, the only time i really see my cats tongue out is after he has been licking himself. and it just sticks out alittle bit. one thing that is kind of freaky is sometimes his tail will start twitching for a second or two. almost like a spasm
That's normal. What Maury is talking about is if the cat's tongue is almost always sticking out. In that case, it could be the sign of a serious medical condition or that the cat has had all its teeth removed.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
That's normal. What Maury is talking about is if the cat's tongue is almost always sticking out. In that case, it could be the sign of a serious medical condition or that the cat has had all its teeth removed.
Right-o -- that's what I meant.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 10:05 PM

Yet more pictures of my favorite monster.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Yet more pictures of my favorite monster.

[img]http://www.jbbweb.net/D70/detroit1.jpg

[img]http://www.jbbweb.net/D70/detroit2.jpg

[img]http://www.jbbweb.net/D70/detroit3.jpg
Clearly quite a killer! Nice pics, btw
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Montezuma58:
Zira

A Tortie How old is she?
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 02:56 AM

Our cats...

Diego

Galileo

Nellie

Shiva

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by vexborg:
Our cats...

Shiva
They tolerate that??

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
When my Mum's cat Daisy wakes up and has a big stretch she often sticks her tongue out while she's stretching. I always think it's quite cute!
12" Rev B PB

Montezuma58
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 09:28 AM

A Tortie How old is she?
She's 2 years old.

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
They tolerate that??
Well, this cat does - it's a Bengal cat, and they can, among other things, be thought to fetch toys and walk on a leach (or so the experts say) � in a sense they are more dog than cat

Actually this guy shows up with his 'froggy' (a frog shaped toy) and drops it infront of our feet, and we're then supposed to throw it out so he can fetch it � God have mercy on our feet if we don't!
( Last edited by vexborg; Feb 15, 2005 at 11:37 AM. )

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 12:57 PM

Well, this cat does - it's a Bengal cat, and they can, among other things, be thought to fetch toys and walk on a leach (or so the experts say) � in a sense they are more dog than cat

Actually this guy shows up with his 'froggy' (a frog shaped toy) and drops it infront of our feet, and we're then supposed to throw it out so he can fetch it � God have mercy on our feet if we don't!
That is so funny - your Bengal's behavior is very similar to ours (see earlier pics in this thread). Most nights when I'm on the computer, he drops his toy mouse at my feet and sits there until I throw it down the stairs. I throw it, he brings it back, rinse and repeat until he is out of breath from running.

If I don't notice that he's put the mouse down by me, he starts chewing on my feet until I do.

He also loves to chase us around the house and pounce on our legs when one of us turns a corner. I never did teach him to go on a leash, but he loves to ride in the car. I'll open the back door, he jumps in and hops up into the back window ledge.

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
That is so funny - your Bengal's behavior is very similar to ours (see earlier pics in this thread). Most nights when I'm on the computer, he drops his toy mouse at my feet and sits there until I throw it down the stairs. I throw it, he brings it back, rinse and repeat until he is out of breath from running.

If I don't notice that he's put the mouse down by me, he starts chewing on my feet until I do.

He also loves to chase us around the house and pounce on our legs when one of us turns a corner. I never did teach him to go on a leash, but he loves to ride in the car. I'll open the back door, he jumps in and hops up into the back window ledge.
Actually pouncing on legs are one of Shiva's specialties as well - you can walk into the livingroom, and step over him, and he just grabs hold of your feet - claws out, and start 'boxing' with the hind legs while holding with the front legs! It makes you feet look like they've been pricked by needles...

Does your Bengal also 'cry' and complain if he's bored? Our does, and he really really hates to be picked up - unless he asked for it!

Yes, Bengal's are a lot of fun

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 01:46 PM

Actually pouncing on legs are one of Shiva's specialties as well - you can walk into the livingroom, and step over him, and he just grabs hold of your feet - claws out, and start 'boxing' with the hind legs while holding with the front legs! It makes you feet look like they've been pricked by needles...

Does your Bengal also 'cry' and complain if he's bored? Our does, and he really really hates to be picked up - unless he asked for it!

Yes, Bengal's are a lot of fun
Funny, exact same behavior. I've always got numerous marks on my ankles from him. He doesn't do it to my 5 year old daughter though. I guess he knows I'm a guy and don't mind "wrestling" or rough-housing a bit.

Every now and then, he'll cry a bit, but for the most part he doesn't get too bored (at least while we're at home). If I don't have time to play, my daughter is usually happy to pester him.

He's not always keen on being held, at least not in the conventional way. He prefers to be held on his back, with his head hanging and looking upside down at everything. I guess the world is more interesting to him upside down. He does like to cuddle under the blankets at night. Even then he likes to "attack" sometimes. I'll feel him next to me curled up underneath the blanket, and think "aw, nice kitty" and pat him. He's instantly awake and grabbing my arm with all four paws.

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Funny, exact same behavior. I've always got numerous marks on my ankles from him. He doesn't do it to my 5 year old daughter though. I guess he knows I'm a guy and don't mind "wrestling" or rough-housing a bit.

Every now and then, he'll cry a bit, but for the most part he doesn't get too bored (at least while we're at home). If I don't have time to play, my daughter is usually happy to pester him.

He's not always keen on being held, at least not in the conventional way. He prefers to be held on his back, with his head hanging and looking upside down at everything. I guess the world is more interesting to him upside down. He does like to cuddle under the blankets at night. Even then he likes to "attack" sometimes. I'll feel him next to me curled up underneath the blanket, and think "aw, nice kitty" and pat him. He's instantly awake and grabbing my arm with all four paws.
Hehe... Bengals are just a bunch of fun with soft velvet like fur...

And yes. he likes to cuddle up underneath the blanket during the night - a wee (ok, he's the biggest cat in the house now, and he's only 6 months old!) natural heating source But yeah, he sometimes likes to attack underneath the blanket (trust me, I've been clawed in my privates once - not nice at all!)...

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 05:43 PM

Hehe... Bengals are just a bunch of fun with soft velvet like fur...

And yes. he likes to cuddle up underneath the blanket during the night - a wee (ok, he's the biggest cat in the house now, and he's only 6 months old!) natural heating source But yeah, he sometimes likes to attack underneath the blanket (trust me, I've been clawed in my privates once - not nice at all!)...
Too funny. I've never spoken with another Bengal owner, so it's surprising how similar they can be in their behavior. It's almost like you've got my cat over there.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 10:40 PM

You can't teach a cat to fetch. However cats can teach people to throw stuff for them.

Zira (pictured above) has a bottle cap fetish and will fetch them all day long. If she sees or hears me with a bottle cap she gets a crazed look in her eyes and will start clawing if I don't play her game. Every now and then I'll drop a bottle cap in a paper bag then staple the bag shut. That makes for some top notch entertainment.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 01:41 AM

You can't teach a cat to fetch. However cats can teach people to throw stuff for them.
So true. One of my cats has trained me to roll up small balls of tin foil and throw them for her.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2005, 02:02 AM

Okay, here are my two cats.

Jake

and Elwood

A little troublesome, but they're good guys.

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 02:18 AM

Zira (pictured above) has a bottle cap fetish and will fetch them all day long. If she sees or hears me with a bottle cap she gets a crazed look in her eyes and will start clawing if I don't play her game. Every now and then I'll drop a bottle cap in a paper bag then staple the bag shut. That makes for some top notch entertainment.
Hehe... But does Zira return with the bottlecap if you throw it somewhere? Like a dog fecthing a ball?

I would say that if you throw a thing, and the cat bring sit back is pretty much fechting.

I don't know if it's a special Bengal thing, or if it has something todo with the fact that our wee thing is 3 generations from being a wild junglecat...

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2005, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
So true. One of my cats has trained me to roll up small balls of tin foil and throw them for her.
My Mum's cat Daisy used to go crazy for balls of silver paper (like chocolate wrappers etc). She'd fetch them and bring them back for you to throw again as well. She's grown out of it a bit now though.

We used to leave an empty tissue box lying around for her, if she was bored she'd go and tip over the bin in the living room, fish out a ball of silver paper, drop it in the tissue box, and then go crazy trying to fish it out again!
12" Rev B PB

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by davidflas:
Clearly quite a killer! Nice pics, btw
Thanks. He is actually a pretty sweet cat. One day though, a neighbor's lab started running towards his sister. She freaked and ran away in the house, but he decided he was not let that happen, and stood in his way, making himself as big as he could (i.e. about 1.5th the size of the dog ). The dog was just trying to play and was very good thanksfully : he stopped, kinda puzzled looked at him for a little while. That's when I intervened and scooped him away. It was pretty funny.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 09:28 AM

Hehe... But does Zira return with the bottlecap if you throw it somewhere? Like a dog fecthing a ball?
She brings them back then harasses me if I don't throw it again.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 03:15 PM

Another one.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 06:04 PM

oops dp.
( Last edited by villalobos; Feb 27, 2005 at 06:20 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 06:11 PM

Some more very nice pictures of cats. They seem to be very photogenic.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 07:10 PM

do you think my cat shadow needs a real kitty?
he loves to attack this stuffed kitty and carry it around in his mouth.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Forum Links
Forum Rules