Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Sims 2

Sims 2
nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 09:04 PM

I've read that this will be ported to OS X, but no mention has been made about system requirements etc. My little sister has downloaded a 'demo' thing on her old Windows computer which lets you customise a person. Looks like a lot of fun, but I doubt her PIII 500 will run the full game (minimum sys requirements are a PIII 800).

Anyone know when any kind of demo will be available for Mac? I hope it runs ok on my ibook G4.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 04:16 PM

If the requirements are the same as for the pc version then it will run fine, as long as you have 384 megs or higher ram. I think you could get reasonable frames with 256 though. Memory is the only possible limitation.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 10:27 AM

Anyone know any details on the Mac port? Is it confirmed? When is the PC version going to be released? (I wish I could check but the school network blocks all game sites.)

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Forte
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Anyone know any details on the Mac port? Is it confirmed? When is the PC version going to be released? (I wish I could check but the school network blocks all game sites.)
According to this chat transcript - http://thesims2.ea.com/chat_07_02_04.php - they've definitely confirmed the Mac version, as it was spoken about;
Tinkerbelll (Jul 2, 2004 5:23:32 PM)
PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION!! I am a die hard macintosh user and I realize that the sims2 is coming out for PC's only. Will a mac version of the sims2 come out? if so, when?!?!

MaxisNeil (Jul 2, 2004 5:23:32 PM)
I am a Mac user too! There will be a Mac version of Sims 2 - We haven't announced the release date yet.
Also, apparently the release date for the Windows version is September 17th.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 04:11 AM

I saw the Sims2 on a peecee in the store on the weekend and I got to tell you it is sweeeet.

I hope we won't have to wait a year for it to be released in a Mac version.

nJm  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 08:57 PM

I've been following the reviews on the web. Sounds like the attention to detail and AI is light years ahead of the original Sims. My little sister is getting a copy for her PC, but as that is only a PIII 500 I doubt it will run that well. That said her graphics card and ram should make up for it.

Either way I want the Mac version. I still haven't heard anything other than it coming out 'at some stage'
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 07:12 PM

I'm really looking forward to The Sims 2, as I was a huge fan of the original game. I just wish the developer would do what Blizzard does with its games and have the game be Mac/PC compatible out of the same box. It makes so much more sense...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 02:13 PM

The requirements on this game is incredible. with everything set to max, it is less than smooth on a 2.8ghz P4 with the X800 XT..

nJm  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2004, 05:36 AM

You should see it trying to chug along on our PIII 500 with 64mb Ati Radoen 9000 Pro. On minimum settings it is SLOW.

I never thought I would wish I had a new PC!
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
The requirements on this game is incredible. with everything set to max, it is less than smooth on a 2.8ghz P4 with the X800 XT..
It sounds like a real loser then. That's too bad. If it's poorly coded/optimized for the PC we know how stinktastic it will run on the Mac.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 01:26 AM

What settings do you need to make it smooth and how good does it look at those settings.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2004, 06:30 PM

Any news on the release date?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 23, 2004, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
Any news on the release date?
Someone should create a release date thread for Mac games and make it a sticky. A lot of people, including myself would find such a thread useful. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 01:40 PM

i could always make a site for that as long as gamers like yourself would keep it up-to-date and accurate, I don't have the time for that or to keep up with the games either.

Rooney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 10:55 PM

I have Sims2 on my pc and I honestly love it.. except for the fact that they arent giving us a tool to create objects and they took out a bunch of stuff (vacations, pets, lots of objects) I hope that it comes out soon for the mac.
+ROONEY

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 02:25 AM

That stuff was only in expansion packs anyway.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Someone should create a release date thread for Mac games and make it a sticky. A lot of people, including myself would find such a thread useful. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Noah
Very good idea

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 02:39 PM

So, any word yet on a release date for the Mac version of the Sims 2?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Logic:

Noah

Very good idea
Yeah, until it becomes 18 pages long, and most of the info is out of date.....
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by The iMac Man:
Yeah, until it becomes 18 pages long, and most of the info is out of date.....
But you see it wouldn't have to become 18 pages long and out of date. All it would take is one dedicated individual to take responsibility and update the first post on a regular basis. People could submit new release date information in the thread and that knowledge could be applied and updated on a regular basis on page one, post one!

It's a rather simple and effective way of keeping this type of information organized and the forum free of clutter.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 01:58 AM

So, any word yet on a release date for the Mac version of the Sims 2?

Noah
Considering it hasn't been officially announced yet there is no date.

However, the game is coming; my sources tell me. So, I'd guess near Christmas time with the announcement coming in November.
MacBook Pro

HamSandwich
Oct 16, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
Considering it hasn't been officially announced yet there is no date.

However, the game is coming; my sources tell me. So, I'd guess near Christmas time with the announcement coming in November.
Good to see people still consider IMG to be a viable source. It is indeed. Sims 2 will come as has been confirmed by the aforementioned chat transscript. No one knows about the min requirements yet.

One should ask himself the question: Did The Sims 1 actually run smooth? With all the expansion packs installed, I never saw it do so, no matter the computer it ran on.
Conclusion: Since The Sims 2 is heavily complex (think DNA simulation, of psychology, character development and family trees and there is also the awesome 3D graphics), the requirements are obviously above its predecessor. I don't know how much the graphics can be turned down though.

Steve

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
Good to see people still consider IMG to be a viable source. It is indeed. Sims 2 will come as has been confirmed by the aforementioned chat transscript. No one knows about the min requirements yet.

One should ask himself the question: Did The Sims 1 actually run smooth? With all the expansion packs installed, I never saw it do so, no matter the computer it ran on.
Conclusion: Since The Sims 2 is heavily complex (think DNA simulation, of psychology, character development and family trees and there is also the awesome 3D graphics), the requirements are obviously above its predecessor. I don't know how much the graphics can be turned down though.

Steve
Haha! IMG? Hardly my friend. It's been confirmed to me by people... I can't really say whom or who they work for. Doesn't really matter anyway, Aspyr would be dumb not to sign this game anyway. Pure. Money. Maker.

Graphics can be turned down a lot BTW. Also, 1Ghz G4 with a "modern" video card will run this game just fine as long as the drivers aren't borked.
MacBook Pro

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 05:44 PM

How's this for an announcement?

http://ea.gamespress.com/release.asp?i=503

http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/10880

Preliminary System Requirements (these may change before the games release)

Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later
PowerPC G4/G5, 1GHz or faster
256MB RAM (512MB recommended)
4.2 GB free disk space
ATI Radeon 8500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better
32MB of VRAM
DVD drive required to install and play
Just what I would have guessed. Hopefully this will sell like hot cakes. Go Aspyr!
MacBook Pro

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 06:02 PM

My eMac will not run Sims 2...

I have a ATI Radeon 7500 graphics, and minimun is ATI Radeon 8500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better...

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 06:48 PM

Well, I'm happy to hear that my 12" PB meets the requirements of this game. Now if only we had a release date... If I had to take a stab at it, I'd guess March 2005?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
It sounds like a real loser then. That's too bad. If it's poorly coded/optimized for the PC we know how stinktastic it will run on the Mac.
I would think the idea is to increase longevity by deliberately making the graphics on max settings better than most computers can handle. Remember how many years the original sims with all it's expansion packs did? That's what they have to take into account.

Doom 3 does the same thing with it's ultra graphics setting (or whatever it's called).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 11:02 AM

I believe that my iBook G4 has all of the requirements except that pesky 1ghz processor. Do you think it will work with 800mhz, or am I going to have to get a new computer?
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by webcookie:
I believe that my iBook G4 has all of the requirements except that pesky 1ghz processor. Do you think it will work with 800mhz, or am I going to have to get a new computer?
it'll run theres no question about that but it won't run fast unless you keep the number of sims in each house down because thats what taxes the processor. On a side note however the 800 g4 came with a radeon 7500.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2004, 10:43 PM

It seems as though it might run on the 1.25 Ghz iBooks, but what happens when expansion packs start to be released?

I recall on my previous G3 800mhz iBook after Hot Date was added it did get a little jittery.

I've been hanging out for Sims 2, I hope it actually will run as it should on my new iBook.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by iluvmymactoo:
I recall on my previous G3 800mhz iBook after Hot Date was added it did get a little jittery.
On my 800mhz G4, I've got Hot Date, Livin' Large, Vacation, and Unleashed running, plus a gazillion downloaded objects, and it seems fine. But I'm not some hardcore gamer, so what looks fine to me may be crap to a gamer.

It looks like I may end up having to get a PC to game on. There's no way Doom 3 is going to run on my iBook, and it doesn't look like the Sims 2 will either.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2004, 12:34 PM

Now if only we had a release date... If I had to take a stab at it, I'd guess March 2005?
The current projection we have for release is May 2005
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 11:34 PM

If this game will run like anything on the PC, even a 1GHz Mac will probably choke. My brother's Athlon 1.2GHz PC/640MB RAM/GeForce 3 can barely run the game (it takes a good 2 minutes for the loading screen to finish).

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
The current projection we have for release is May 2005
Wow. Not good.

By that time everyone will have forgotton about it and the hype and pre-release buzz will be all but dead. (expect for the dire sim fan, of course). Why doesn't the developer realize this?

and they wonder where their Mac market is...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 12:42 AM

Wow. Not good.
well that is just the initial expected date they have given us. In all likelihood it will either come out sooner (or later) than this date. Release dates change all the time, and May 2005 is so far away, that it is unlikely that date will hold.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 01:07 PM

I've decided I really don't want to get a PC to play the Sims 2 and Doom 3, so I was thinking about an iMac G5. These are the specs:

1.6ghz G5
512mb RAM
80gb HDD
64mb GeForce FX 5200

Will it work? I'm not too familiar with video cards, so I don't know if that fits the requirements. Thanks!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 02:29 PM

I've decided I really don't want to get a PC to play the Sims 2 and Doom 3, so I was thinking about an iMac G5. These are the specs:

1.6ghz G5
512mb RAM
80gb HDD
64mb GeForce FX 5200

Will it work? I'm not too familiar with video cards, so I don't know if that fits the requirements. Thanks!
if your going to buy it just for the games then wait until the games actually come out, not just because their will probably be a faster imac but also because you will know the specs on the games. My guess is that the sims 2 will run fine but doom 3 will run poorly on anything but the lowest settings.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
if your going to buy it just for the games then wait until the games actually come out, not just because their will probably be a faster imac but also because you will know the specs on the games. My guess is that the sims 2 will run fine but doom 3 will run poorly on anything but the lowest settings.
It wouldn't be strictly for games. It'd end up being my primary computer since my iBook has this tiny 12" screen. But if it isn't going to play the games, it borders on pointless. Well, it's going to take me probably until whenever the game gets released to save up enough money to buy the iMac, so if something else is out by then, it should be better, and I'd get that. Doom 3 on the lowest settings is fine for me. I'm pretty sure I'm playing RtCW on the lowest settings now and I don't mind.

TheDeathman
Nov 13, 2004, 12:56 PM

It wouldn't be strictly for games. It'd end up being my primary computer since my iBook has this tiny 12" screen. But if it isn't going to play the games, it borders on pointless. Well, it's going to take me probably until whenever the game gets released to save up enough money to buy the iMac, so if something else is out by then, it should be better, and I'd get that. Doom 3 on the lowest settings is fine for me. I'm pretty sure I'm playing RtCW on the lowest settings now and I don't mind.
If you're looking to play games (Sims 2, Doom 3) you might as well put together a...(Don't stab me)
A gaming PC, it would probably be cheaper than the iMac and have better parts, it just wouldn't have the nice widescreen LCD.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 07:41 PM

Is there anyone who is still actually looking forward to this game on their mac? The fact that it might not arrive till June seems a little ridiculous to me...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

HamSandwich
Mar 6, 2005, 04:56 AM

Is there anyone who is still actually looking forward to this game on their mac? The fact that it might not arrive till June seems a little ridiculous to me...

Noah
Nah, that means you have time until June to get a G5 so that you can actually get it to work. Sounds reasonable to me.

Steve

davecom
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 04:03 PM

I'm looking forward to it since I never would have bought the PC version.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2005, 12:50 AM

Must have good video! My old Voodoo was killing Sims 2, because it has no real DirectX support. I upgraded to 512MB RAM and a Radeon 9200 or so - much better.
On mostly low settings it works OK on my really crappy* PC:
1 Ghz Athlon
Radeon 9200 or so, 32-64 MB RAM
512 MB RAM.

* It sucks at games compared to those new Athlon 64s - excuse me, I mean dual G5s.
I mean let's face it. I got my PC about 4 years ago, upgraded it's RAM, drive, and video card in 2004/5, and it is as good as then a $1,499 Power Mac G5 in most ways, and has more games. Macs are great as main machines, but for gaming they're spendy.
( Last edited by ryaxnb; Mar 7, 2005 at 12:55 AM. )
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 7, 2005, 01:18 AM

I have one question, but I don't mean to piss anyone off...but... is it true that only people with no social lives play this game? Or... better way to put it: You lack something in your own life so you play the sims? Kinda like the same reason people watch Soap Operas, they need drama.....

I don't get it.

- Rob

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 02:57 AM

not true. well, at least not for the first one. my girlfriend played it and she was very popular and involved with lots of stuff (band, choir, 4-h)...

but if you want to try and find out if there is some specific mental state that causes people to want to play, or if specific societal pressures cause an increase in Sims playing... well, that's different. I don't think thread was meant to discuss the social implications of playing Sims 2, though...

HamSandwich
Mar 7, 2005, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
I have one question, but I don't mean to piss anyone off...but... is it true that only people with no social lives play this game? Or... better way to put it: You lack something in your own life so you play the sims? Kinda like the same reason people watch Soap Operas, they need drama.....

I don't get it.

- Rob
I think you can generalize that only people interested in social implications are interested in The Sims. Whatever this means! Be it people who have no own social life but are interested in it, though, or be it people who have a strong social life who might found something of their real life mirrored in the game.

I haven't seen any true geek (meaning someone who is simply not interested in socializing but only in programming, hardware etc.) who is interested in The Sims. Of course, I might be wrong, though.

Steve

robco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 03:33 PM

Not necessarily anti-social. Control freaks maybe, not not anti-social.

Think of it as your own "reality" TV show.
TAFKADB

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 09:04 PM

I don't get it.

- Rob
That's one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read....
-iMac

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 7, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by The iMac Man:
That's one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read....
And this is the most ignorant response. It was a question, not a comment. Dumbass.

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 11:31 PM

And this is the most ignorant response. It was a question, not a comment. Dumbass.
Suuuuuuure it was.....

I'm no dumbass....
-iMac

Forum Links
Forum Rules