Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cop Shoots Himself in Foot (video)

Cop Shoots Himself in Foot (video)
MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 02:27 PM

Bad, bad, bad... click

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 02:32 PM

Shoots himself with an "unloaded gun" and then brings out an "unloaded" assault rifle.

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 02:38 PM

Even worse is that he shot himself right after he said he was the only one there that was "professional" enough to handle the Glock .40.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2005, 02:57 PM

how embarrassing

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 10, 2005, 03:42 PM

He could have turned this into a useful gun safety lesson. "I made a mistake. Anyone can make a mistake, so just stay away from any gun you find." Sure, that would have made sense. The kids could have thought "he's an expert and he got hurt; what would happen to me if I touched a gun that I know nothing about." That would have worked quite well.

But NOOOOOOOO. He had to have his "Vanna" bring out the assault rifle! "Hey, it's not loaded!" That Glock "wasn't loaded" and you put a hole in your foot with it! Sure the kids are heading for the door. Good for them!

Stupid, stupid, stupid! That pistol is built so make accidental discharges as close to impossible as is humanly feasible. He had to have done something REALLY STUPID to shoot himself. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

And as funny as it can be! Slapstick at it's best/worst.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
That pistol is built so make accidental discharges as close to impossible as is humanly feasible. He had to have done something REALLY STUPID to shoot himself.
Like having his finger on the trigger...

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 03:58 PM

Someone please tell me again that guns are safe if handled by a pro...

edited because some people have interpretation problems
( Last edited by badidea; Mar 11, 2005 at 10:52 AM. )

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 03:59 PM

They arrested the dirty cop that killed the teen in Leesburg yesterday.

He filled out a false report and planted a weapon on the dying kid.

His partner admitted to turning off the persuit camera.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2005, 04:09 PM

Wow, like an SNL skit.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2005, 07:58 PM

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
Someone please tell me again that guns are save if handeled by a pro...
Man, the English language isn't safe when you're around.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 10, 2005, 10:45 PM

Someone please tell me again that guns are save if handeled by a pro...
I guarantee that the gun in that video could not have done anything until the stupid cop touched it. And he touched it STUPID. Bad, BAD cop! No doughnuts for a MONTH!

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 11:04 PM

jeezus.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 11:23 PM

Muwhahahaha.
Bad@$$! Bring out the assault riffle!

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Mar 11, 2005, 03:35 AM

haha, he shot himself in the foot literally and figuratively (kind of). perfect

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by MountainMac:
Wir k�nnen ja gerne auf Deutsch weitermachen, wenn du Hirni ein Problem mit meinem Englisch hast!?!?! Wo war denn �berhaupt das riesen Problem, wegen dem Trottel wie du anfangen m�ssen mir Sprachprobleme vorzuwerfen? Hab ich wohl aus Versehen ein "e" zu viel eingetippt?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2005, 05:07 AM

Loaded or not, you don't pick up a gun by the trigger. Moron.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2005, 09:35 AM

It was locked open to begin with and he never checked the magazine to see if there was any bullets in it.

He pushed the slide lever and let it slam closed, chambering a round.

The idiot should have removed the magazine first, then looked into the chamber to see if there was anything in it.

Don't think that he got away with such a flagrant safety violation because all gunshot wounds are required to be written up at the hospital.

See, cops really are too stupid to work at McDonalds.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 10:05 AM

Is that a real video or a viral ad of some sort?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2005, 10:18 AM

serve and protect men, serve and protect.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2005, 01:33 PM

My favorite part is how everyone freaks out when he pulls out the AK. Classic.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
See, cops really are too stupid to work at McDonalds.
Naw, they let 'em work there.
They just keep the cops away from the deep fryers.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 01:40 PM

Wow, that sucks. On the plus side, he didn't physically hurt anyone else.
Originally posted by BoomStick:
Don't think that he got away with such a flagrant safety violation because all gunshot wounds are required to be written up at the hospital.
I think he knew he wasn't going to get away with it. At some point he admitted, "I'll probably never teach weapon safety again," or something to that effect.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 02:28 PM

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2005, 02:31 PM

Occasionally, Dawrin misses.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Occasionally, Dawrin misses.

What a classic video.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
My favorite part is how everyone freaks out when he pulls out the AK. Classic.
Not an AK. It's an AR15 variant built specifically for the DEA (did you see the back of his shirt?).

OF COURSE everybody's going to freak out! You just bloody shot yourself in the bloody foot!

I'm still laughing. AT HIM, not the situation.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 07:35 PM

Wir k�nnen ja gerne auf Deutsch weitermachen, wenn du Hirni ein Problem mit meinem Englisch hast!?!?! Wo war denn �berhaupt das riesen Problem, wegen dem Trottel wie du anfangen m�ssen mir Sprachprobleme vorzuwerfen? Hab ich wohl aus Versehen ein "e" zu viel eingetippt?
Erger dich nicht...solche wie ihn wird es immer geben. Manche leute koennen es nicht verstehen das es auch andere Sprachen gibt.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 07:38 PM

Erger dich nicht badidea...solche wie ihn wird es immer geben. Manche leute koennen es nicht verstehen das es auch andere Sprachen gibt.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 08:07 PM

OF COURSE everybody's going to freak out! You just bloody shot yourself in the bloody foot!
The round apparently went into his thigh and not his foot. A little higher and he might've been singing soprano.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2005, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
The round apparently went into his thigh and not his foot. A little higher and he might've been singing soprano.
The footage shows what looks like his female assistant looking at the hole in the floor, so I figured that's where he hit himself. I dunno-shattered foot or nicked femoral artery? Which one to pick? Either way he did a real number on himself, whether he shot himself in the foot only figuratively or not.

Did I say I though he was dumber than dirt? Dumber than moose poop? (Thanks, Bob!)

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 09:27 PM

Did I say I though he was dumber than dirt? Dumber than moose poop? (Thanks, Bob!)

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 10:48 PM

Damn, that is one tuff dude.

If it was me, I would be ouching in pain.

Maybe even screaming. Nah, I'd tuff it out. Yeah right. I'd screaming like a baby. j/k

Mafia
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 11:14 PM

i saw this last week and it doesn't look like he actually shot himself. i think he is just limping around because he is shaken up. maybe not though.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2005, 11:42 PM

Yes, you did. Unfortunately, I think you're giving this guy too hard of a time.

This is a guy who handles guns probably every day of the year. He's a pro and he's teaching a gun safety course, and he's probably got more certification than almost anyone who handles guns. This is a man who, 999 times out of 1000, probably would not have had any problems and would not have made the gun go off.

Unfortunately, it's like anything else you handle on a daily basis � the laws of averages are against you, and occasionally you're going to make a mistake. Again, the majority of times, you can make a mistake and nothing happens � you take a breath, kick yourself in the ass and promise yourself that it won't happen again.

This guy met his 1 out of 1000 chance. He made a simple mistake, and it costed him. Yeah, he was dumb for not at LEAST pulling out the mag or taking a thorough look, but I'm betting it wasn't even supposed to be loaded in the first place. He was talking, got a little distracted and it cost him dearly.

Both my parents come from large hunting families...my Dad's father was a gun collector as a farmer in Southern Ontario, and my Mom's family from small-town Labrador (they still hunt caribou every winter!). As such, I've been around lots of guns, and I can say as well as anyone how easy it is to make one mistake and pay for it.

My Dad's brother, about 17 or 18 years ago, paid for it. He was out duck hunting, and came in to clean his shotgun. He was sitting at the kitchen table taking it apart and his wife came in and sat across from him. He told her to move, so she got up, took a walk around, and then sat down again. The gun went off almost immediately, striking her in the face and killing her instantly.

My uncle's handled guns ever since he was a kid...it was a double-barrel, and although he he'd checked to make sure he'd emptied the first barrel, he didn't check the second because he hadn't loaded it. Of course, he hadn't remembered that some time before, he'd loaded both barrels and hadn't emptied them both. He hadn't used that particular gun (he had 5 or 6 rifles/shotguns) in months, but it was a simple mistake that I'm sure many have made. (I know I've forgotten to check both barrels on once or twice.) He paid, dearly.

Again...it's like driving a car, or anything else you do on a regular, even daily basis. Human error happens, and it always will. I at least give this guy credit for admitting that he made a mistake.

Although yes, bringing out the assault rifle was a boneheaded move, but hey...he'd just shot himself. People who've just shot themselves probably aren't in the clearest frame of mind.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Yes, you did. Unfortunately, I think you're giving this guy too hard of a time.

This is a guy who handles guns probably every day of the year. He's a pro and he's teaching a gun safety course, and he's probably got more certification than almost anyone who handles guns. This is a man who, 999 times out of 1000, probably would not have had any problems and would not have made the gun go off.

Unfortunately, it's like anything else you handle on a daily basis � the laws of averages are against you, and occasionally you're going to make a mistake. Again, the majority of times, you can make a mistake and nothing happens � you take a breath, kick yourself in the ass and promise yourself that it won't happen again.

This guy met his 1 out of 1000 chance. He made a simple mistake, and it costed him. Yeah, he was dumb for not at LEAST pulling out the mag or taking a thorough look, but I'm betting it wasn't even supposed to be loaded in the first place. He was talking, got a little distracted and it cost him dearly.

Both my parents come from large hunting families...my Dad's father was a gun collector as a farmer in Southern Ontario, and my Mom's family from small-town Labrador (they still hunt caribou every winter!). As such, I've been around lots of guns, and I can say as well as anyone how easy it is to make one mistake and pay for it.

My Dad's brother, about 17 or 18 years ago, paid for it. He was out duck hunting, and came in to clean his shotgun. He was sitting at the kitchen table taking it apart and his wife came in and sat across from him. He told her to move, so she got up, took a walk around, and then sat down again. The gun went off almost immediately, striking her in the face and killing her instantly.

My uncle's handled guns ever since he was a kid...it was a double-barrel, and although he he'd checked to make sure he'd emptied the first barrel, he didn't check the second because he hadn't loaded it. Of course, he hadn't remembered that some time before, he'd loaded both barrels and hadn't emptied them both. He hadn't used that particular gun (he had 5 or 6 rifles/shotguns) in months, but it was a simple mistake that I'm sure many have made. (I know I've forgotten to check both barrels on once or twice.) He paid, dearly.

Again...it's like driving a car, or anything else you do on a regular, even daily basis. Human error happens, and it always will. I at least give this guy credit for admitting that he made a mistake.

Although yes, bringing out the assault rifle was a boneheaded move, but hey...he'd just shot himself. People who've just shot themselves probably aren't in the clearest frame of mind.

greg
Everyone is being so hard on this guy. Granted, he made a stupid mistake, and if anybody had gotten hurt, that would've been horrible. No one was hurt, though, and the poor guy's career will certainly be screwed (and rightfully so). Still, you can stop calling him an idiot, because making a stupid mistake is not the same as being stupid. I'm sure he's a good guy, and while I certainly don't want him patrolling anytime soon, I really do feel sorry for him.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2005, 06:36 AM

If your job is to teach about gun safety and you do it 1000's of times a year, maybe it's a good idea to have unloaded demo guns. Just because the guy shot himself, doesn't mean he made a small mistake...what if he shot somebody in the class? I don't think he was wreckless, but I do think he was stupid for bring a loaded weapon, or even weapons that could potentially be loaded to a classroom. He's a dumbass.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 12, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Everyone is being so hard on this guy. Granted, he made a stupid mistake, and if anybody had gotten hurt, that would've been horrible. No one was hurt, though, and the poor guy's career will certainly be screwed (and rightfully so). Still, you can stop calling him an idiot, because making a stupid mistake is not the same as being stupid. I'm sure he's a good guy, and while I certainly don't want him patrolling anytime soon, I really do feel sorry for him.
Actually it was ME that said he was dumber than moose poop.

The VERY FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF GUN SAFETY IS THAT YOU ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ASSUME THE GUN IS LOADED UNLESS YOU HAVE PERSONALLY JUST CHECKED TO ENSURE THAT IT'S NOT.

What the guy in the video did was a critical and exceptionally grave failure to check the chamber-he could easily have hurt someone else. If his own body had not stopped the bullet, it could have bounced off the floor and hit one of those kids.

Sure, I feel sorry for him too. But I feel a lot more sorry for all those kids who will now probably all think that cops have problems not accidentally shooting themselves-or others. How's that for generating a nice, comforting feeling associated with the police?

Again, it wasn't a stupid mistake, it was the gravest of errors in the most elementary of procedures.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2005, 03:03 PM

He could have turned this into a useful gun safety lesson. "I made a mistake. Anyone can make a mistake, so just stay away from any gun you find." Sure, that would have made sense. The kids could have thought "he's an expert and he got hurt; what would happen to me if I touched a gun that I know nothing about." That would have worked quite well.

But NOOOOOOOO. He had to have his "Vanna" bring out the assault rifle! "Hey, it's not loaded!" That Glock "wasn't loaded" and you put a hole in your foot with it! Sure the kids are heading for the door. Good for them!

Stupid, stupid, stupid! That pistol is built so make accidental discharges as close to impossible as is humanly feasible. He had to have done something REALLY STUPID to shoot himself. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

And as funny as it can be! Slapstick at it's best/worst.
Yeah ... he was doing fine until he pulled out the asault rifle.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2005, 03:15 PM

Before you all give the guy too much of a hard time remember this ....

he had the common sense to keep the gun pointed down. It's what you ALWAYS do, even when you think the gun is not loaded. He made the correct call by always assuming it was loaded.

His only mistake ... having his leg underneath it when it went off.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 08:18 PM

The VERY FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF GUN SAFETY IS THAT YOU ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ASSUME THE GUN IS LOADED UNLESS YOU HAVE PERSONALLY JUST CHECKED TO ENSURE THAT IT'S NOT.
My dad taught me that the gun should never, ever, without exception, be pointed at anything you don't want a hole in, no matter what you belive the status of the chamber to be. Wether you think it's loaded or not, treat it like it is.

It's a policy that you can't go wrong with.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
My dad taught me that the gun should never, ever, without exception, be pointed at anything you don't want a hole in, no matter what you belive the status of the chamber to be. Wether you think it's loaded or not, treat it like it is.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2005, 09:03 PM

Absolutely. Even if you have personally checked it ... and you KNOW it's not loaded, treat it as if it were.

That guy in the video did just that and the only thing he hurt was his leg, and his pride.

(In the future ... he might want to consider using toy guns for the demos)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

tavilach
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by driven:
Absolutely. Even if you have personally checked it ... and you KNOW it's not loaded, treat it as if it were.

That guy in the video did just that and the only thing he hurt was his leg, and his pride.

(In the future ... he might want to consider using toy guns for the demos)
I don't believe that he has a future in this. He even admitted that.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 11:28 PM

My dad taught me that the gun should never, ever, without exception, be pointed at anything you don't want a hole in, ....
That's the first thing my grandfather told me the first time he handed me a gun to teach me how to shoot

Sarc
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
That's the first thing my grandfather told me the first time he handed me a gun to teach me how to shoot
same here
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 05:38 PM

Just don't do drugs kids.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2005, 10:13 PM

I'm surprised that nobody commented on my use of "moose poop" and that I credited it. That's stolen straight from Ded Bob, by the way. Bob would have loved this cop's behavior.

Forum Links
Forum Rules