Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard drive constantly chugging.

Hard drive constantly chugging.
Mike the Knife
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 10:36 PM

Hey everyone. I've noticed lately that pretty much all the time my hard drive is 'working'... even when I'm not doing anything. At first I thought it was related to the fact that I'm using Reason 3.0 and Digital Performer 4.52 (which are accessing the hard drive a lot to pull audio data for playback), but even now in Safari with nothing else open it is doing something.

Is this a sign that my drive is going bad? I'm under Applecare still but since I use this for recording all the time, I'd rather not have them hold the unit forever and I'd rather not go through the process of re-optmizing everything for recording and reinstalling if I don't to.

Could possibly purchasing something like iDefrag or one of those problems do the trick? This machine is freshly formatted about 3 months ago.

Thanks!

(Powerbook G4 12" 1ghz, 1.25gb ram, 40gb HD DVI)

Forum Links
Forum Rules