Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Which Mac's to consider

Which Mac's to consider
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2005, 10:41 PM

Presently use a G3 350 b/w but need to upgrade to a mac that will run Motion/FCP HD. I would prefer a portable and would include a G5 iMac in my considerations. I am hoping that I can get something below 2500 Australin Dollars. It would be particularly best if I could buy a new machine but I imagine that may be to big an ask ?

I was initially considering a mini with a gig of ram and 7200 rpm hd, until I learnt that one needs to use a particlar video card which the mini doesn't have ?

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 11:06 AM

Mption works on 1.5GHz Powerbook, but you're very far from the performance you get on a G5 tower. Forget real time on a Powerbook, even with 2GB of RAM.

barang
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by pcd2k:
Presently use a G3 350 b/w but need to upgrade to a mac that will run Motion/FCP HD. I would prefer a portable and would include a G5 iMac in my considerations. I am hoping that I can get something below 2500 Australin Dollars. It would be particularly best if I could buy a new machine but I imagine that may be to big an ask ?

I was initially considering a mini with a gig of ram and 7200 rpm hd, until I learnt that one needs to use a particlar video card which the mini doesn't have ?
You could get the entry level PM G5 with extra memory (around 2500$.

Or a 15inch powerbook would run FCP fine (12 inch would too, just the screen is kinda small). Motion would work, just not in real time. The 15 incher is around 3000 Austrailian, though.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 07:36 PM

Hi
Not sure if this is any help as I don't use motion, however I am using FCP. I live in Australia too, I bought an e-mac with superdrive for around $1500. It has 80gig hard drive, and I think the new ones (mine's about a year old) have 1.25gig processor and you can get up to 1gig ram. Mine has 1gig processor and 512mb ram.
I find it works pretty good but not doing anything too complicated with it, just straight editing, e.g. no special effects.

The 80gig is really limiting though, so I bought an external Lacie hard drive, which works okay though I think it seems to be a bit slower when you edit to the external but not sure, I would prefer more internal hard drive but told not possible on the e-mac.

The only real problem I have had is I did an idvd project which was very slow on my external hard drive, so switched back to the internal drive and was okay, but have been told that idvd has lots of bugs so this may be an idvd issue (have found a few bugs myself in idvd).

emac only has firewire 400 compared to other macs (which I think have firewire 800) I really have no idea if this makes any difference though, but makes me wonder if that is why my external drive is a bit slower, but it could be due to my lack of ram (have been told conflicting things by apple people some say lack of ram makes it slower, some say 512mb should be fine.

I considered buying the mac mini but it has similar limitations re hard drive size.

If you can afford it get something with more hard drive size than 80gig, but if you a bit broke than the emac (and possibly mac mini) might do the trick if you add an external hard drive. Other than hard drive space I am pretty happy with my emac. (though lack of portability can be an issue too).

We used to use a 6gig imac (you know the turquoise looking ones like the one you have) and you won't believe the speed once you starting using the emac.

Interestingly I was always told to edit directly to internal hard drive as faster, but I belong the screen editors association and one of the editors there (who had worked on many docos)said she always edits to external hard drive due to portability and has no problems.

Please keep in mind though I am a semi-professional film maker(e.g. make short movies/docos for film festivals), not a full professional, so my opinion may not be the best informed.

By the way I found an australian apple forum site which might be helpful called www.appletalk.com.au

drive-thru
Senior User
Mar 17, 2005, 10:47 AM

If you want to run Motion then you will need a compatible Graphics Card. If you don't have one Motion will not run; not run slow - not run at all.

http://www.apple.com/motion/specs.html

One of the following graphics cards:
� ATI Radeon 9800 XT (R360)
� ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
� ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (R300)
� ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360)
� ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (RV350)
� ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (RV M11)
� ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (RV M100
� nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (NV40)
� nVidia GeForce Go5200 (NV34M)
� nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (NV34)
� nVidia GeForce 6800 GT DDL
So an eMac would not work. Your choices are: PowerBook 12" (Go5200) 15" (M9700), iMac G5 (FX5200), Quicksilver or MDD G4 (upgraded to 9800) or G5 Power Mac.

Personally, I would immediately rule out the 12" because it would only ever be useful when hooked up to a larger display - so you might as well get a 15" or Power Mac (and an iBook if you need portability).

If portability isn't a huge requirement I would go for a Power Mac - you get a lot more performance and upgradeablitity (longer productive life) for your money than with a portable.

Apparently the first Dual 1.8GHz G5s are a great deal if you can find one second-hand or refurbished. Coupled with a 9800 Pro, that should give you a decent machine for Motion and FCP - I have no idea how much $2500 AUS will buy you though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules