Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star Trek: Enterprise..... CANCELED!

Star Trek: Enterprise..... CANCELED! (Page 3)
John Q. Smith
Feb 8, 2005, 03:28 PM

what is star-trek, am i missing something? is this one of those shows on sci-fi channel?

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 03:15 PM

There is this very personal scene between Dr. McCoy and Mr. Spock in Star Trek III. It�s the bit with McCoy observing �but it seems that I�ve missed you� and I don�t think that I can stand to lose you again.� Maybe it�s gay. I don�t care. I tend to think it as a scene between an old-style country doctor disagreeing with the coolly, machine-like and for the moment dead friend. There was a real closeness to that scene.

And then there�s the bit right afterward as the captured bird-of-prey makes a dramatic landing alongside James Horner�s stunning musical crescendo. The camera pushes in on Mr. Spock�s father as he almost reverently looks on at the apparent cost of bringing his dead son home.

I think Enterprise failed as a series not because all the spin-offs have their own perfect little dramatic moments. Deep Space Nine has several. Looking back on that series, I�m amazed at how much effort was put into it. Next Generation has some quiet moments also. The episode when Picard comes home to deal with his jealous brother, Worf's parents listening to Whoopi Goldberg telling them where their adopted son�s feelings truly lie is a polite touch. Voyager has some nice moments, but they were too few and far between to keep me from defecting to the second season of The West Wing. As far as that goes, the episode �Two Cathedrals� is the best hour of television I have ever seen.

Back to Trek, as for Enterprise, I never really saw the series. It seemed like a fairly decent show, I guess that I realized, that maybe I liked Boston Legal and shows of that ilk better. I like the pairing of Shatner with Bergen. I enjoy its silliness and slapstick. Maybe we�ve become a population that is obsessed with acts of desperate housewives or reality television to really care about a good dramatic forty-five minute show anymore. The world changed. Our viewing habits certainly have. I guess it took a while for upper management to learn the lesson.

--Helen--
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2005, 02:55 PM

That's nice.

hotani
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:

Anyway, I thought Avery Brooks did a fantastic job as Sisko. I rate him second only to Patrick Stewart in terms of strong captain characters. And it's a close second. (IMO)
Agreed.

As for the other topics addressed in this thread....
1- I'm not that sad to see Enterprise go. I got into last season (was that season 3 with the Xindi?) and followed it for a while, but I don't think I'll miss it too much.

2- BSG rocks - it is the show I look forward to every week, and the miniseries (which I missed when it originally aired DOH!) has been at the top of my Netflix queue for several weeks with "Very Long Wait" beside it. BSG will continue, I don't care what anybody says about no second season being written -- they hit on something and its working, it wouldn't make any sense to abandon it now.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 05:21 PM

I agree about BSG. It's the best sci-fi show to grace the TV set in quite a long time.

Amazing doesn't begin to describe it.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by driven:
I agree about BSG. It's the best sci-fi show to grace the TV set in quite a long time.

Amazing doesn't begin to describe it.
pfft..I use it to go to sleep. Such a terrible show. Tell me what's so damn good about it, and I'll list a ton more that's wrong with it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by starman:
pfft..I use it to go to sleep. Such a terrible show. Tell me what's so damn good about it, and I'll list a ton more that's wrong with it.

Mike
pfft .... you have your opinion, I have mine. Tell me why your opinion is so damn good ....

<GRIN>
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2005, 08:42 PM

pfft .... you have your opinion, I have mine. Tell me why your opinion is so damn good ....

<GRIN>
The show has no direction. It's boring. What the hell is the POINT of Caprica? The technology in the show makes no sense. Phones with cords? Stenographers? And this sh*t with Baltar is driving me up the f*cking wall. Nobody questions that the guy talks to himself and humps thin air? Is this normal to them? And this whole Cylon/religion crap...is this Ron Moore's way of making the show "deep"?

Mike

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 08:45 PM

If you don't like it, don't watch it. <simple>

(Most of those points were explained in the show.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

meelk
Baninated
Mar 22, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
He wasn't worse than Janeway. And while not a starship captain, Cisco was pretty bad, too.
janeway raped your people and burned your village.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2005, 09:00 PM

If you don't like it, don't watch it. <simple>

(Most of those points were explained in the show.)
Um, I'm waiting for it to get better (it's not) and they weren't.

They killed spirit of the original show.

Mike

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 09:14 PM

The original show was campy. If it had animation it would have been a children's cartoon.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 12:20 AM

The show has no direction. It's boring. What the hell is the POINT of Caprica? The technology in the show makes no sense. Phones with cords? Stenographers? And this sh*t with Baltar is driving me up the f*cking wall. Nobody questions that the guy talks to himself and humps thin air? Is this normal to them? And this whole Cylon/religion crap...is this Ron Moore's way of making the show "deep"?

Mike
I think the new BSG is great. It sure as hell beats anything that is out there right now. Star Trek is dead and should have been dead after Voyager. Don't get me wrong I still love ST but I am not sad to see it go for a few years.

The original BSG was a great show for the time and it's still one of my all times favorites. Times have changed since it came out 26 years ago though. The new show is deeper because people don't want the cheesy sci-fi that has plagued fans for years. I doubt you will see any kind of corny aliens or story lines so far in left field you would think it's the 60's all over again. I doubt you will see any kind of time travel come into play. It's about human vs machine. It's about survival or extinction. It shows that the hero doesn't always come out on top.

Have you seen the whole first season yet? A couple of your questions will somewhat get answered. The rest will have to wait until next season. Everyone has their opinion on the show. I for one think it is about time that a decent sci-fi show to came around.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 01:32 AM

One thing that this show suffers from is not making the show interesting up front. Deep Space Nine did that. I watched it for a while and then that "Move Along Home" episode came on and I said "that's it, no more of this sh*t". BSG is going to do the same to me if it doesn't get more interesting. Paint drying is more interesting. I keep giving this show a chance and every week I feel like it's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Yes, I know what the show is about, but where is it going? Everyone I ask that question to fumbles the answer. Nobody knows.

I compare this show to Space: 1999 because it was the same premise - a band of humans moving in space trying to survive. As corny as the show was (let's face it, it was 1975), it was much more interesting than the new BSG.

And Baltar pisses me off. He makes a Cylon detector, knows that at least one person is a Cylon and tells NOBODY. Now there's an insinuation that Tigh's wife might be one, too.

You would think that someone who feels guilty about what happened would be a little more forthcoming with what he knows.

Mike

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 23, 2005, 01:40 AM

Yeah, the doc is getting quite irritating. Either he should tell somebody about Boomer, or they should expand on why he's not telling anybody. And as good looking as she is, that blonde figment of his imagination is getting annoying too.

But overall, Battlestar Galactica redux is still the best sci-fi show on TV currently.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 01:45 AM

I watched it for a while and then that "Move Along Home" episode came on and I said "that's it, no more of this sh*t".
I agree, I love DS9, it is my favourite thing in the world but that is a REALLY bad episode.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 09:35 AM

One thing that this show suffers from is not making the show interesting up front. Deep Space Nine did that. I watched it for a while and then that "Move Along Home" episode came on and I said "that's it, no more of this sh*t".
Really? Hm. I kinda liked that episode. Of course, I was 12 at the time...but it recently re-ran on SpikeTV, and I still thought it was all right.

Not as good as Season 4's "The Visitor", certainly, but not all bad.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 11:34 AM

When I heard that Enterprise is cancelled I was upset, now I realize the only thing I will miss about it is T-pol.

Also, BSG is soooooo soooooo much better I have no problem getting over the cancelation of trek.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2005, 01:53 PM

The technology in the show makes no sense. Phones with cords? Stenographers?
If you watched the original mini series you would know that the whole point of the old technology was the Galactica was infact so old it was about to be decomissioned.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
If you watched the original mini series you would know that the whole point of the old technology was the Galactica was infact so old it was about to be decomissioned.
It's age and low-techness is also what prevented it from being destroyed. The cylons had figured out a way to shut down all high-tech devices. Galactica also had to fly the old vipers because the new Mark VII vipers were being shut down and eliminated by the cylons.

Commander Adama is paranoid about using technology. He even had the vipers and raptors doing manual landings because he didn't want to employ the computers automated landing systems.

They even mentioned at one point why the phones were wired ... he didn't trust using wireless communications beyond what was required. (Paranoid about technology to the extreme.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules