Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Core Image/Video ATI cards in Tiger

Core Image/Video ATI cards in Tiger
C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 09:49 AM

Its very early this morning and I seem to be missing something on the specs for CI & CV that I can't figure out.

The top ATI cards listed are the Radeon 9600 XT, the 9800 XT, and the X800 XT. But ATI only lists the the X800 XT as a Mac compatible card. The 9600/9800 (non-XT) don't seem to be listed.

Does that mean that ATI will release the 9600/9800 XT for the Mac soon or does that mean that the PC versions will be compatible??? The big advantage of the PC cards is that they are AGP 4x/8X cards while the Mac cards are now all AGP Pro (8X) cards. Or will the 9600/9800 (non-XT) compatible with CI/CV???

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:30 AM

Whatever happened to the Mobility Radeon 9600 on that list? Pretty crap if it's not, since there's little to distinguish between it and the MR 9700.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 10:46 AM

I have the ATi 9600 that came with my rev a G5 2 GHz Dual. I think the later ones came with the 9600 XT.

So does this mean the regular 9600 aren't supported?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 12, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I have the ATi 9600 that came with my rev a G5 2 GHz Dual. I think the later ones came with the 9600 XT.

So does this mean the regular 9600 aren't supported?
I'd be VERY surprised if the Mobility 9600 and the 9600 Pro are not supported.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Whatever happened to the Mobility Radeon 9600 on that list? Pretty crap if it's not, since there's little to distinguish between it and the MR 9700.
No ****. That just pisses me off.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

C.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 10:50 AM

Is Apple considering the XT models the same as the non-XT models???

Man, this is heart breaking...all I want is CV support on my G4 MDD but it seems that all those cards listed are G5 cards only.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by pooka:
No ****. That just pisses me off.
Yeah, it's a bit weird and I'm hoping it's just bad wording on their part. I mean, they were selling the PB G4 15" with 9600MR just less than a year ago!.

It's not like that was a low to mid-end system.

I'm putting some faith into what Eug says.

C.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 11:22 AM

I also noticed that the Mini and the eMacs are also not supported. I kept thinking that the Mini had a 5200 but it actually has a 9200.

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by C.A.S.:
Its very early this morning and I seem to be missing something on the specs for CI & CV that I can't figure out.

The top ATI cards listed are the Radeon 9600 XT, the 9800 XT, and the X800 XT. But ATI only lists the the X800 XT as a Mac compatible card. The 9600/9800 (non-XT) don't seem to be listed.

Does that mean that ATI will release the 9600/9800 XT for the Mac soon or does that mean that the PC versions will be compatible??? The big advantage of the PC cards is that they are AGP 4x/8X cards while the Mac cards are now all AGP Pro (8X) cards. Or will the 9600/9800 (non-XT) compatible with CI/CV???
Don't get your panties in a bunch guys. The 9600 will work fine with core image.
The real requierment for core image is a video card that has PS 2.0 support (which the 9600 does). I have seen Tiger running on Powerbooks with 9600's in them and they do in fact use core image just fine.

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by C.A.S.:
I also noticed that the Mini and the eMacs are also not supported. I kept thinking that the Mini had a 5200 but it actually has a 9200.

Apple will need to update some machines. As of right now the only shipping machines that do not support Core Image are, eMacs, iBooks, and Mini's. I would expect these to be updated with new PS 2.0 based video cards some time soon.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 12:03 PM

[nitpick] All current Macs support Core Image. Some just don't support the full GPU acceleration.

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
[nitpick] All current Macs support Core Image. Some just don't support the full GPU acceleration.
That is not 100% true. At least thats not what my system profiler says.

Chipset Model: ATY,RageM6
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: ATI
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Displays:
Display:
Type: Display
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
( Last edited by akuma-x; Apr 12, 2005 at 12:38 PM. )

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by akuma-x:
Don't get your panties in a bunch guys. The 9600 will work fine with core image.
The real requierment for core image is a video card that has PS 2.0 support (which the 9600 does). I have seen Tiger running on Powerbooks with 9600's in them and they do in fact use core image just fine.
Well that's good news.

Cheers.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 12:53 PM

The 9600XT and 9800XT are the same thing as the pro versions of said cards, the only difference would be in the memory and the speed of the processor -- sometimes there are smaller differences like rom revisions as well, but those are pretty irrelevant most of the time, so you 9600/9800 pro owners, don't worry

Same goes for the 9600 mobility.. you see, the 9700 is a 'souped up' version of that lol.. well ONLY in this case.. the 9700 desktop card is a far different beast...

The most confusing thing is the 9800 mobility is NOTHING like either of the 2, has 8 pipelines instead of 4 and is supposed to be a helluvalotfaster... Apparently it's more like an X600 while the 9600/9700MR are 9550-ish

I am getting my 9600XT this morning I had to buy a DVI to ADC adaptor (and eventually will need an ADC to DVI adaptor) but it was worth it.

Now how the hell I'm going to afford tiger for all 3 of our macs :| that's going to be an interesting one.
Aloha

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Now how the hell I'm going to afford tiger for all 3 of our macs :| that's going to be an interesting one.
Family pack.

galarneau
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 01:26 PM

Get the Family Pack.

For $70 more, you can install on 5 macs.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 01:42 PM

I think Apple has just listed Core Image-capable GPUs that are in currently shipping Macs. Older Macs with Core Image-capable GPUs aren't listed.

The Mobility 9600 does indeed support Shader 2.0, and is faster than the GeForce Go 5200, which is listed as supported. Neither the Mobility 9600 nor the 9600 Pro are in any shipping Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules