Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari: force it to open link in current window?

Safari: force it to open link in current window?
MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 04:59 PM

When a link's default behavior is to open in a new window, is there any way to force Safari to open it in the current window? Command-clicking opens it in a new tab, Option-clicking downloads it, and there's no option in the contextual menu to open it in the current window.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 07:44 PM

I drag the link to the tab being used or the address bar.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 08:07 PM

I've never heard of any browser that does this, though I've often wished for such a feature myself. This said, it's not as simple as it might first sound, because to truly work as expected it would have to dig into JavaScript and override window.open calls.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

yticolev
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 10:12 PM

"Dragging the link to the address bar"

Cool tip! Works in Windows IE, I'll try Safari when I get home. That is behavior I like to force sometimes.

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MountainMac
When a link's default behavior is to open in a new window, is there any way to force Safari to open it in the current window? Command-clicking opens it in a new tab, Option-clicking downloads it, and there's no option in the contextual menu to open it in the current window.

MM
Although this isn't much help for you now, CSS3 which is currently under development allows control of opening links in new windows, tabs (behind and in front) etc. So in the future, if you have a browser that supports standards you should be able to control how new windows are opened in your browser - assuming that these features are implemented by developers and hence make it into the standard.

P
Apr 14, 2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I've never heard of any browser that does this, though I've often wished for such a feature myself. This said, it's not as simple as it might first sound, because to truly work as expected it would have to dig into JavaScript and override window.open calls.
To make it foolproof - yes. But you could fix a lot of these faults by just ignoring the target attribute when shift was pressed. It's the old 80/20 rule again.

MountainMac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by P
To make it foolproof - yes. But you could fix a lot of these faults by just ignoring the target attribute when shift was pressed. It's the old 80/20 rule again.
Thanks for the response. I don't know enough about javascript to respond intelligently to Millenium's post, but you cleared it up. That's all I'm looking for, really, is some sort of modifier key combination to force a link to open in the current window.

But dragging the link to the title bar will have to do for now.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

gzeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I've never heard of any browser that does this, though I've often wished for such a feature myself.
Firefox can do it:
Type about:config in the address bar and hit return. Change the value of browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs to true. Now, in the preferences dialogue, the 'Force links that open new windows to open in' option will now appear. You can change the behavior to either 'same tab/window' or to 'new tab in same window'

Forum Links
Forum Rules