Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple OS Update Question

Apple OS Update Question
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 05:50 AM

Aloha,

I'm going to buy Tiger, my first Apple OS upgrade (been on 10.2.6 from day 1, never upgraded), and am thinking through where this road may lead. Looking back at the Panther update patterns on Apple.com, I see that there were several very large, around 100 MB, updates.

I'm on dial up and get about 1MB per 6 minutes, thus it would take me in the neighborhood of 10 hours to download a future Tiger update. 10 hours is simply not practical given the odds are great that the download would be interupted and I'd have to start all over again.

Does Apple make the large updates available on CD? If so, what do they cost?

Also, when I buy Tiger, will the new version of Mail and Safari come with the Tiger DVD?

Thanks!
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Starry Night
Aloha,
I'm going to buy Tiger, my first Apple OS upgrade (been on 10.2.6 from day 1, never upgraded), and am thinking through where this road may lead. Looking back at the Panther update patterns on Apple.com, I see that there were several very large, around 100 MB, updates.
Thanks!

Typically updates aren't that large, its only when you start looking at the combo updates. These babies include all prior patches. If you go through the software update preference it will download only the specific patch and if you keep your system updated then it shouldn't be as painful as a 100mb dowload. Depending on the what they are trying to fix will dicate the size of the update and it seems they can easily be 30 meg, still large for a dial up connection.

Mike

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 07:51 AM

You can also go to your local Apple service center and ask them to burn you a copy. They can't charge for the software, but they can charge for the CD and a minimal amount of labor. This would be far better than not updating at all.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the ideas, makes me feel better about it.

Do I need to download the new Tiger versions of Mail and Safari or will they be coming on the Tiger DVD?
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

jabackes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 08:17 PM

Mail and Safari 2.0 are included apps. they are installed with the operating system, along with all of the other pieces. iLife '05 is not included as it is a seperate product, as is iWork.

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2005, 10:14 PM

You should just go to a local library or school's computer lab to d/l the file. I'm not sure about all schools, but Purdue and UofMinnesota-TC don't check for ID's.
-Pat

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by PMDaly
You should just go to a local library or school's computer lab to d/l the file. I'm not sure about all schools, but Purdue and UofMinnesota-TC don't check for ID's.
-Pat
Thanks for the interesting idea. I do live on Maui which pretty much limits me to the public library. If the library doesn't have Macs can I still download a Mac OS update?
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2005, 11:42 PM

Definately, all you need is the file... just bring some external drive big enough to hold the update.
-Pat

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 11:51 PM

Carry my external HD out of the house, you must be mad

Can I just burn it to CD using the library's CD burner, assuming they have one?
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2005, 12:32 AM

No, i'm pretty sure that's illegal. I mean, you couldn't possibly have thought that since there is a cd burner on a public computer, that YOU were supposed to use it? blasphemy!

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2005, 12:53 AM

Sure. Apple ususally makes the updates available on their site somewhere for download, so you should be able to locate the files easily enough there (and if you can't find them there you could just ask here and I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction).
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules