Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > [Tiger] Apache/ *.local/terminal

[Tiger] Apache/ *.local/terminal
SilverDemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 06:04 PM

Hello everyone.
Thank you for reading this post.

I am having this particular problem that I did experience in Panther at some point, but I am not sure how that got fixed.

Anyway, I run an apache server on my machine at home and on a local network at work. At home, my computer is named SilverDome and it's been named that way for as long as I can remember. naturally, to connect to localhost, I could use localhost/, silverdome.local and 127.0.0.1.
However, I installed a brand new tiger, preserving users. The first symptom I encountered was that in the Terminal, the prompt no longer said SilverDome:~, but something like host-117-217-22:~ . That alone really started to bother me. After playing with stuff at no avail, I stumbled onto another problem - SilverDome.local is not responding. No such server. localhost and 127.0.0.1 work.
Very strange - not vital, but I was really unhappy. I re-installed tiger again. The same thing. Re-installed _again_, clean install, no users. The same thing. (yea, i played with Sharing and computer names over and over during that time, too). Copied over /etc/hosts and /etc/hostconfig from original system to the new one - no luck. Went to work, installed tiger there - no problems. Computer names and *.local and terminal prompts worked without a hitch. Went home, copied over the entire /etc/ folder from my work machine to my home machine - no luck.

Finally, to get things working, I used a brute-force method. manually wrote in HOSTNAME=SilverDome.local in /etc/hostconfig and 127.0.0.1 SilverDome.local in /etc/hosts

everything started working as it SHOULD, however, changing the computer name, naturally does not affect anything anymore.

I'm not really trying to completely solve this problem, as it's really not vital and if I ever do change the name I could always change it in the config files, too, but I'm very curious as to WHY this is happening.

The only difference between my work amchine and my home machine is that at work, internet connection is via DHCP, and at home - PPPoE. However, it has always been this way without any such problems. At work I had a similar problem with the terminal prompt only some time ago, but if I remember correctly, it was due to an incorrect bashrc config line. But this does not really apply here, as my *.local was not resonding.

Any insights and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading my ramblings!
Reality is what, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away...

Forum Links
Forum Rules