Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Slow 1st Saves in Tiger

Slow 1st Saves in Tiger
audiffred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 01:08 AM

Has anyone else experienced a noticeable pause when saving a document for the first time since program launch? Applications like BBEdit and Word to name a couple have a few second delay before the standard file save dialog appears. The next save results in an instant dialog.

-Bryan

RonnieoftheRose
May 1, 2005, 01:12 AM

As soon as you save a file Spotlight indexes it. If an application is several months old and unaware of Tiger's behaviour it will temporarily hang until the indexing has been done.

audiffred  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 01:26 AM

I also suspect Spotlight is the culprit, but the delay is between CMD-S and a visible dialog. The file has not yet been saved. I am curious what is going on during that time. Perhaps spotlight is preparing to accept the file for indexing. The problem does not seem to exist with the Apple apps I tried.

-Bryan

yongfook
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 03:59 AM

I'm seeing this with photoshop when saving images. Very annoying - especially if I have to wait like 20 seconds to save a less-than-1k gif!
http://www.yongfook.com

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2005, 04:56 AM

Which applications are exhibiting this type of behavior?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RonnieoftheRose
May 1, 2005, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Which applications are exhibiting this type of behavior?
Office, Photoshop, Final Draft 6 and 7. Apps that preceded Tiger by a fair bit and thus are not fully aware of Spotlight and framework changes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules