Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iSync :(

iSync :(
nikoz1200
May 4, 2005, 11:11 PM

And after all the hoopla, iSync still won't work with my Nokia 6230. BUmmer.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 12:04 AM

Thats unfortunate. I was hoping there would be some updates on that. Oh well.

Originally Posted by nikoz1200

afterglow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by nikoz1200
There's an app called PhoneDirector which performs sync tasks for the 6230 and a bit more besides. Only downside is that you have to pay for it.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 04:38 AM

The 6630 doesn't work either. So near and yet so far - the iSync agent installs, but doesn't run properly.

Here's hoping for an update to iSync sooner rather than later to fix this.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2005, 05:33 AM

( Last edited by Simon X; May 11, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: ...)

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 06:05 AM

They did a great job on the P900 though. I used to have loads of trouble getting iSync to see my phone. I had to link them with Salling Clicker most of the time. Now iSync installs iSync Agent on my phone and it works beautifully.

I for one am very happy about the new version in 10.4

ajbaker
May 5, 2005, 08:35 AM

I really did think with the new sync frameworks implemented in Tiger it would be a trivial task to write the necessary files to gain compatibility with any phone.

Having read through all the documentation though, there appears to be a void between syncing new types of data and extending the normal syncing applications (AddressBook, iCal etc) for new devices.

Sync Services documentation: http://developer.apple.com/documenta...cServices.html

nikoz1200  (op)
May 5, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by afterglow
There's an app called PhoneDirector which performs sync tasks for the 6230 and a bit more besides. Only downside is that you have to pay for it.

Yes, I tried out Phone Director. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to buy it, but I might have to now. Or, export all of my contacts back to the PC and use the nokia software. Ouch.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 11:06 AM

The rationale for iSync was "ease of use." If you have to input and maintain your addresses and telephone numbers and calendars in multiple locations, how likely is that? Might as well just keep a paper address book, because it's a lot easier erasing and reentering in one location than trying to remember to change all the various software.

If iSync doesn't support a very popular phone like the 6230, then the only conclusion I can reach is that it isn't popular in California. I got mine for Cingular in Colorado, but Cingular no longer carries it, replaced it with the 6620 which iSync does support. Looks like the "flavor du jour" is supported, but what about backward compatibility?

Forum Links
Forum Rules