Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need ext drive for (a)networked backups and (b)booting my powerbook

Need ext drive for (a)networked backups and (b)booting my powerbook
waterbuck
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 03:03 PM

Hi
I am trying to understand what sort of external hard drive to buy. Currently I have an old beige G3 (Jaguar) that runs Retrospect and nightly backs up my G4AlBook and my wife's PC over the network (there is a router with 4 ports). It has a little internal 80GB HD which is not ideal in size given that my G4's User folder is now 46GB (with all the movies, photos, documents, prefs, blah).

So I would like to augment the available storage for my networked backups, plus it might be nice to have something that could carry a clone of my AlBook's hard drive and boot it up in the event something goes wrong.

From what i can tell, one either can buy an external hard drive that is Ethernet/USB compatible (optimum for offering extra storage on the network through the router) or an external hard drive with Firewire (this could boot up the AlBook) but not both.

What do people think would be the best way to have something available to the network and also able to boot up my G4 Aluminum Powerbook?

The Beige G3, incidentally, does not have firewire, so I couldn't just keep a firewire drive hooked up to it, unfortunately.

Thanks
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2005, 07:34 PM

I've had an external firewire drive for a couple of years that does exactly what you want. It backs up our two powerbooks across the network and when I'm upgrading or travelling away I can clone the drive for security.

I'd go firewire and just plug into your G3. I don't have USB2 on the powerbooks so firewire is the only sensible choice for me.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

waterbuck  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 08:24 PM

It sounds like your G3 does have firewire capability. Bummer for me, because my old G3 Tower doesn't have firewire...
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

Scooterboy
Senior User
May 5, 2005, 09:26 PM

LaCie makes a tripe interface drive, the D2 Extreme. Mine has FW400, FW800, and USB 2.0

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10025
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules