Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac Mini "Review" by Troll

Mac Mini "Review" by Troll
storer
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 10:07 PM

Take a look at this:
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/MacMini2.html

The Mini boots up into a stripped-down operating system which Apple calls OS X, similar to the stripped-down WindowsCE OS found on many handhelds. The mini OS is going to be a significant hurdle for many buyers who are used to Windows or have favorite Windows software packages they need to use. Think of it more as a first computer for your daughter or niece than as a machine to get any serious work done and you�ll get the point of the Mini and its target market. It might also be the perfect computer for grandmothers or autistic children, for example.
But since its sleek look comes at the expense of the parallel port, serial ports, the PS/2 ports and the drive bays, potential Mac mini buyers should ask themselves just how much utility they�re willing to sacrifice for style. Oh, did I forget to mention that the Mini has no PCI slots either? And no floppy disk drive? Well, no wonder they got the unit to be so small. No keyboard or mouse either. Sorry, Kayla, daddy�s got to make another trip to Best Buy before you can play with your new computer. Hmmm...let's see here...
How pathetic is that!

Master Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 10:16 PM

Well besides the strip down version of an OS, he's not far off everything else..

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 10:18 PM

ehm... read some other articles on there, like this one, and see if it changes your opinion of the article

"I start fires!"

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 10:20 PM

People still use floppies?

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 10:30 PM

Apparently so.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 10:33 PM

IBTL*

*(In Before the Timeline)
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Master Ken
Well besides the strip down version of an OS, he's not far off everything else..
Do you have any functioning neurons in there?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by storer
Take a look at this:

How pathetic is that!
How much satire is that? How thick does it have to be before you catch on?

EDIT: consider this fine prose: "When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time."

Pretty blatantly a humor piece.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 10:42 PM

Yes, its satire and good satire at that... but anyone who thinks X is stripped down gets their head removed regardless

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by storer
Take a look at this:

How pathetic is that!
This is an ancient satire piece, which has been reported here in the lounge Eleventy Billion times.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules