Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSync 2.0 (Tiger) - Tungsten T, iPod, Moto v710

iSync 2.0 (Tiger) - Tungsten T, iPod, Moto v710
cwasko
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 01:22 AM

All I have to say is... WTF?

This all worked beautifully in Panther, now, everything is hosed.

This is the deal, the iPod and the Palm seem to sync just fine. My major problems are with the v710. If I add a contact on the phone, it doesn't get synced onto my computer, or anything else. However, if I change a contact on the phone, then it does get synced. Kind of kills the whole purpose there doesn't it?

Next, which is the biggest problem. I made some changes on the phone, life was good after a sync. Then I made some more changes - I have many contacts that have extensions on their phone numbers. This didn't present a problem in the past, unless I changed a contact on another device (not the phone), then I would have to 'edit' the number on the phone to add a 'wait' before the extension. No big deal - not ideal, but no big deal. Then, I synced up again, I got a notification that the v710 is requesting that 70 contacts be updated - I only changed like 10 numbers... Hmm... I didn't like the sounds of that, but was curious none-the-less. So, I canceled out, backed up all my stuff and did the sync again, let it update everything. Then, I checked my addresses on my computer. It killed most of the phone numbers I had for everyone. There seemed to be no order to it either.

So, I did some more digging. I first restored everything, verified it. Life was good again. I tried changing the settings on the phone in iSync such that it synced all phone numbers and email. Still, it persists to kill my data. I did this a few times, with different settings too.

Joy.

I'm a pretty tolerant person when it comes to software, etc... but, I'm not sure I understand what the heck is going on here. I mean, it all worked *perfectly* before! Ok... maybe not perfectly, but the problems I had were excusable, consistent, and highly manageable. This problem is just completely random and basically makes iSync useless.

To sum it all up, if you have a v710, watch out. If you have a v710 and this doesn't happen, well, I'd love to know which version of the v710 you have... because this is just damn painful.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that I can't get my .mac address book to update at all. Oh, and one last thing, this is a clean install on a PB17" Rev A.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2005, 10:25 AM

You're not the only one. IMO, iSync 2 is a step backwards, very buggy, very unpredictable.

I'm glad I have it finally working for my T2, I don't even dare to connect my Motorola 720 to iSync. It will probably kill everything

-t

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 11:02 AM

I think I'll wait until iSync 2.0.1 to sync my Treo.

I'm kind of scared honestly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules