Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Deja Vu version (3.1)

Deja Vu version (3.1)
BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2005, 02:40 PM

Just wanted to give a heads up for the Tiger update to one of the best apps I have on my Mac, and it just got better.

Deja Vu 3.1
http://propagandaprod.com/releasenotes.html

Coolness:
- Tiger suport (ok, sorta cool)
- Versions! Saves versions of deleted, moved files
- Can wait for inactivity before kicking off the process

Been using it for years and it has gotten me out of trouble more than a few times.

BZ

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 08:39 PM

Is version 3.1 good with OS 10.3.9 or just for 10.4?

I'd like to upgrade before I get Tiger if it does.

Thanks,

Doug

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2005, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by BZ
Just wanted to give a heads up for the Tiger update to one of the best apps I have on my Mac, and it just got better.

Deja Vu 3.1
http://propagandaprod.com/releasenotes.html

Coolness:
- Tiger suport (ok, sorta cool)
- Versions! Saves versions of deleted, moved files
- Can wait for inactivity before kicking off the process

Been using it for years and it has gotten me out of trouble more than a few times.

BZ
Is the "Wait until I'm away from the computer" option in the "Schedules" tab the 3rd feature in your list? If not, any notion what this feature is and does? How does it work with Anacron?

Is Auto Connect working for you? This feature seems to be broken for me in 3.1. Can you confirm this?

I'm also a long-time DejaVu user and fan...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Is the "Wait until I'm away from the computer" option in the "Schedules" tab the 3rd feature in your list? If not, any notion what this feature is and does? How does it work with Anacron?

Is Auto Connect working for you? This feature seems to be broken for me in 3.1. Can you confirm this?

I'm also a long-time DejaVu user and fan...
I'm crediting some bugs in the Finder with my auto connect problems.. Auto connect is working fine for me now, without having changed anything.

There is also information on the DejaVu site about the "Wait until I'm away from the computer" feature.

Let me know if you have any questions about DejaVu, I've spent a lot of time working with it since Tiger - particularly getting Anacron to work (which is not the fault of the author).

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2005, 04:24 PM

One of the features I love about LaCie Silverkeeper is the ability of the app to automatically "wake the CPU from sleep" to do a backup – a feature which either wasn't included in Dejavu in the past, or simply didn't work. I have my G5 set to sleep overnight (usually the HD spins down too) so this feature is the only thing that keeps me using Silverkeeper.

Is this feature in the new version of DejaVu?
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MacDog
One of the features I love about LaCie Silverkeeper is the ability of the app to automatically "wake the CPU from sleep" to do a backup – a feature which either wasn't included in Dejavu in the past, or simply didn't work. I have my G5 set to sleep overnight (usually the HD spins down too) so this feature is the only thing that keeps me using Silverkeeper.

I don't know how well Silverkeeper fares at waking machines up, but based on my limited experience in working with Macs running in labs, it is best to not have the hard drive sleep overnight.

I know that some of the machines I've worked with running Retrospect miss their nightly backup with sleep turned on, and there are several maintenance cron (now launchd) scripts that run overnight. If the machine is asleep, these scripts are not run (unless this has changed in Tiger).

Most of the energy of the computer can be saved by having the display sleep. My general opinion is that if you need to schedule tasks, you shouldn't be putting the hard drive to sleep.

YMMV

Macola
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 04:44 PM

I got around this by trying a utility called PowerController. Set it to wake a few minutes before DejaVu runs, allow time for maintenance scripts, and then set it back to sleep when done. It was a little buggy at first, because it wouldn't always wake, but trashing the prefs seemed to fix it.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2005, 11:12 PM

I used to use iBeeZz to wake my system up for DejaVu... but it's not Tiger compatible... and it seems to have been abandoned by its author.

If you only need to do one timed wake up each day, that can be accomplished with the Energy Saver preference pane: click on the "Options" tab... and then on the Schedule button. You'll be able to schedule it to turn the system on... or wake it at a specified time, either for a given weekday, or daily.

PowerController looks good, and I may yet check it out... but for now, I can do what I need with Energy Saver doing an automatic wakeup... and then running a post-flight script to put my system to sleep after DejaVu is done.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 11:23 AM

( Last edited by Simon X; May 11, 2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: ...)

Macola
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by eggman
If you only need to do one timed wake up each day, that can be accomplished with the Energy Saver preference pane: click on the "Options" tab... and then on the Schedule button. You'll be able to schedule it to turn the system on... or wake it at a specified time, either for a given weekday, or daily.
Except that, for me, Energy Saver worked less than 50% of the time. I've seen many others with this problem, I think it's specific to older G4s (mine is an upgraded GigE).

Macola
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 01:58 PM

One of the features I love about LaCie Silverkeeper is the ability of the app to automatically "wake the CPU from sleep" to do a backup – a feature which either wasn't included in Dejavu in the past, or simply didn't work.
MacDog, I was inspired by your post to try SilverKeeper as an alternative to my combination of Deja Vu and PowerController. I can't get it to run scheduled backups, even though the computer is awake. Manual backups work fine. Any suggestions?

slowspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 08:29 AM

for what it's worth i've been using Deja Vu for backing up machines in my office to a local server overnight and I've had no problems at all with not waking etc, save PBs and iBooks which have always had a tendency to resist waking.

I'm a huge Deja Vu fan!
Slow Speed
"I put the moron in oxymoron"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2005, 02:09 PM

I posted a how-to guide for using Deja Vu in a new thread in this section. Please let me know if it is helpful for you!

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=257185

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 03:44 PM

Okay, I'm basically fed up with waiting for Carbon Copy Cloner to get updated for OS 10.4. Does Deja Vu do basically the same thing? I'm looking for something that will simply copy folders from one drive to another on a set schedule. Apple's Backup is not what I need, becuae it stuffs everything into some sort of .backup file that you need to use Backup with which to recover. I want to just have uncompressed duplicates of my folders/files created on the backup drive so that I can boot from it or copy from it at will.

Is Deja Vu just another front-end for 'ditto' that schedules auto-backups through chron?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Okay, I'm basically fed up with waiting for Carbon Copy Cloner to get updated for OS 10.4. Does Deja Vu do basically the same thing? I'm looking for something that will simply copy folders from one drive to another on a set schedule. Apple's Backup is not what I need, becuae it stuffs everything into some sort of .backup file that you need to use Backup with which to recover. I want to just have uncompressed duplicates of my folders/files created on the backup drive so that I can boot from it or copy from it at will.

Is Deja Vu just another front-end for 'ditto' that schedules auto-backups through chron?
DejaVu is a front-end to Unix psync, which is similar to Unix rsync.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
DejaVu is a front-end to Unix psync, which is similar to Unix rsync.
So it'll duplicate uncompressed files, directories, permissions, etc. on the target drive in the same manner as CCC then?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2005, 04:00 PM

So it'll duplicate uncompressed files, directories, permissions, etc. on the target drive in the same manner as CCC then?
Yes, it will sync between two directories (faster than just duplicating directories) on a local or remote (network) volume. It will preserve permissions, even repair permissions before backup. You can enable a menuling to inform you of the backup progress, and have it notify you before backing up. The latest version includes a "safety net" of old files that were deleted from the incremental backup.

DV also includes a very nice GUI, so it shouldn't take you too long to get your backup setup.

If you use a laptop, I suggest running your backups using Anacron. Otherwise, DV will allow you to schedule your backups via crontabs.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 04:03 PM

Most excellent. Thank you-- I'll give the demo a spin at home today. If it works, I upgrade my work machines to 10.4 tomorrow!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2005, 04:09 PM

Most excellent. Thank you-- I'll give the demo a spin at home today. If it works, I upgrade my work machines to 10.4 tomorrow!
Let me know if I can help any further.. I've gotten to know this software quite well.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2007, 05:32 PM

What is Safety Net?
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 05:52 PM

Eggman,

In case you missed it, iBeeZz was updated (finally) on 12-28-06 and is now UB.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules