Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Audio editor/recorder needed

Audio editor/recorder needed
johnpaul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 10:35 PM

Before I became a Mac user last winter, I relied on Windows to entertain me. If I wanted to record anything that played on my box, I ued a program called Total Recorder from www.highcriteria.com. Total Recorder was shareware ($12), and capable of recording anything playing through my sound card - whether streaming audio or an Mp3, I could record it. After being recorded, I could manipulate the file using Sound Forge, another Windows-only program.

That's what I'd like to do on my Mac, but I can't find a simple program that can record and save music as an Mp3. Some record only through the internal microphone (a bad idea if there is even the slightest background noise), and others through the line-in connection or the microphone, but none through the sound card. Others can record, but not as an Mp3. Does such a piece of software exist for Mac?

JP
"Aloneness is a state of being, whereas loneliness is a state of feeling.
It's like the difference between being broke and being poor."
- Townes Van Zandt

tae667
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 05:17 AM

1) You should post to software-forum
2) Wiretap is $9 and it'll do the job
3) Audacity is a great open source sound editor which should do the job for simple editing.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2005, 08:41 AM

I've never seen anything better than Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack and AH Pro (www.rogueamoeba.com), another Macintosh-only program.

Forum Links
Forum Rules