Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > my STOLEN G5 :(

my STOLEN G5 :(
n8r2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 01:24 AM

why would somebody come into my home and take my precious aluminum dream machine? sigh... it really does happen. Has anyone else had their computer stolen? Anyone got theirs back? my fingers are still crossed.

If anyone cares to help me, go here: helpnathan.com

i ♥ Apple

reader50
Administrator
May 16, 2005, 02:24 AM

Sorry man. I wish it was me, then one of us would have a G5 and you'd have a suspect.

Unless you've installed special software on it for remote access, the chances of getting it back are poor. Your best chance is if you can guess the suspect. Did they take anything else, or did they break in just to get the G5? If the latter, then it's someone who knew you had one, and someone that considers it valuable. Scratch random windoze users, Macs don't impress them.

Who did you show the system to since it arrived, or alternatively, who knows that you have it? You don't need to answer these questions for us, answer them to the police detective.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 02:30 AM

Man.. that really sucks.. I've read stories about how other people have gotten their G5's stolen too..
But only after they've had it for 3 days...

Good luck on the search..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 04:21 AM

Once I was at a college house party when someone walked out the front door with a G5. I almost said something, but there was a band who had been playing in the basement who was loading all their gear out at the same time. It was probably theirs, but it made me wonder.

ImpulseResponse

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 05:06 AM

That sucks, sorry to hear that, I hope you get a break and get it back... good luck!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 08:17 AM

You could submit the serial number of the Mac to a few stolen computer databases. That way, if your computer shows up in a drug bust or something similar then you will probably get it back.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 08:52 AM

One would think someone who owned a G5 would have a picture of it other than the apple stock photo.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 16, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
One would think someone who owned a G5 would have a picture of it other than the apple stock photo.
Especially in light of this:

"I need to raise 4,000$ USD to replace what was taken from my home!"

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 09:11 AM

thanks for the advice...I had AppleCare so I called and let them know it was stolen so they have flagged the serial. It would make my day (no, make that year) if someone was stupid enough to take a stolen G5 in for service.

There's also a company called PeopleSoft who have a more extensive database of serial #s that many pawn shops and other resellers have to be registered with...this is what I have been told anyway. So perhaps with some good luck (or lots of donations at helpnathan.com , my G5 will find its way home to me.

Does anyone know of a site that is geared towards donations? ...like a database or a forum? I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to spam anyone. That is by far my intention.

Thanks for everyone's kind words!

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 09:14 AM

i just wanted my site to look professional...I didn't have any photos of my G5 or renter's insurance (very ouch)...so I didn't get any compensation back...which is why I am seeing if anyone would like to help donate.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 09:35 AM

Which is why you've never posted here before....

Come on. You haven't even posted the serial here, so if we saw it we'd know it.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 09:49 AM

as i am at work, i do not have access to my old serial#. after logging into apple's applecare support page, I can see my old agreement #. I'll post my old serial when I get home.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 11:10 AM

What were the specs on the G5?

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 11:41 AM

dual 1.6, 150 gig hard drive, 512mb RAM. I got it when i graduated college in Dec. 2003.

I also had a 17" sony flat screen monitor that was taken...along with other stuff i'm sure you're not interested in hearing about.

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 11:44 AM

There are always going to be people out there who see stuff like this & think it is some sort of scam. Maybe if you post a copy of the police report, the skeptics out there will rally behind you.

T

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by n8r2000
dual 1.6, 150 gig hard drive, 512mb RAM. I got it when i graduated college in Dec. 2003.
That's interesting, because such a Mac does not exist.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 11:57 AM

Hm. Someone you know probably has it. I hate to say it. If the place was trashed
perhaps your neighbors heard something. Perhaps there's a security camera nearby
that caught something. Good luck in getting it back or a suitable replacement.

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
That's interesting, because such a Mac does not exist.
It obviously exists cause it got stolen.

T

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:08 PM

well lol...it certainly did exist! I just looked at apple-history.com and see that the 1.6 was a single processor and at that time the only dual was the 2.0. So, yes, you are correct that it didn't exist. Perhaps because I've been drooling over the new dual G5s is cause of my typo. I most certainly can show everyone a copy of the police report but it's not a detailed report so there aren't any items shown on there. I also have a copy of my AppleCare registration letter...but as I'm typing this I'm wondering what good it would do to prove it exist(s)(ed).

powertrippin
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 12:10 PM

I also had a 17" sony flat screen monitor that was taken...along with other stuff i'm sure you're not interested in hearing about.

Funny because apple never made a dual 1.6.

You are full of ****. Don't donate to this guy people.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:16 PM

powertripping - see above post

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 12:16 PM

Since Nathan is in my home town (quick whois) I think you guys should just send the donations directly to me and I'll drop off a check.

T

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:20 PM

ha...thanks Thade

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 12:23 PM

well lol...it certainly did exist! I just looked at apple-history.com and see that the 1.6 was a single processor and at that time the only dual was the 2.0. So, yes, you are correct that it didn't exist. Perhaps because I've been drooling over the new dual G5s is cause of my typo.
No 150 GB drives either.

Even if your overall story is true, you aren't doing much to make people believe you.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:25 PM

my drive capacity always said "150BG available"...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
Not everybody takes pictures of their computer when they get it.

I think I have ZERO pictures of my Quicksilver G4 and ZERO of my iPod.

And Apple never made a Dual 1.6. And I think the HD was 160GB, not 150. So what's the story?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:32 PM

my gosh lol...I will scan my applecare letter for you all when i get home (i'm at work on a treacherous PC)

I wish I would have taken pictures of everything that got stolen before it did...but I didn't have renter's insurance anyway...I feel like an idiot for not having it because I have it now and it's only $78/year! If you don't have it, get it today.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 12:37 PM

thanks for the advice...I had AppleCare so I called and let them know it was stolen so they have flagged the serial. It would make my day (no, make that year) if someone was stupid enough to take a stolen G5 in for service.

There's also a company called PeopleSoft who have a more extensive database of serial #s that many pawn shops and other resellers have to be registered with...this is what I have been told anyway. So perhaps with some good luck (or lots of donations at helpnathan.com , my G5 will find its way home to me.

Does anyone know of a site that is geared towards donations? ...like a database or a forum? I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to spam anyone. That is by far my intention.

Thanks for everyone's kind words!
I would also recommend posting the serial to the 'net. Whenever I make a big used purchase, I always Google the serial. I also called AppleCare to see if there were any tags on the serial for iBook I purchase used a few years ago.

Gotta say, though, stealing a G5 is no small task. Those things are heavy and bulky; the thief wouldn't be making a very subtle exit.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:42 PM

yeah it took us a little bit to figure out how it happened...it was a saturday night of all nights when anyone of us (3 roommates total) could have been home. At first it seemed like at least 2 people had to have been there to get everything out. But once we made our final list of everything that was taken, it all made sense that one person could have taken it all.

My G5 was most likely put into my roommate's huge suitecase (along with the monitor and PS2, yes it was a huge suitecase), my 100+ DVDs put in my other roommate's keyboard bag. One person could have easily rolled the suitecase down the street with the keyboard bag over his/her shoulder w/out even looking suspicious. Whoever did it was a professional for sure...they knew what they were doing. And yes, it's crossed my mind that it was somebody one of us knew and had been in the apt. before.

Burke
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 12:42 PM

If you could post a copy of a receipt, police report, or otherwise, perhaps some folks would be glad to donate.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:45 PM

I will Burke as soon as I get home. I'm currently at work and w/out a scanner and my documents.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 01:06 PM

At this rate, by the time you get enough dough, you just may have yourself a G7.
I, ASIMO.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 01:08 PM

well hopefully not ..but you might be right

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
No 150 GB drives either.

Even if your overall story is true, you aren't doing much to make people believe you.
No, but the 160 GB (1 GB = 1000 MB) reads as roughly 150 GB in the Finder (1 GB = 1024 MB)

starman
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2005, 01:15 PM

Umm....how do you fit a G5 AND a monitor AND a PS2 into ANY suitcase?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 01:16 PM

thanks Person Man...I swear I'm not loony. I'm just a poor guy with a part time job and two temp jobs that got burgled asking for a few kind souls to lend me a hand...or to just listen and give some friendly support. Thanks!

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 01:18 PM

starman...it was enormous. one of those huge roller suitcases you use when you're going away for a long time. pun intended.

i think i could have fit in that suitcase.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 01:19 PM

why would somebody come into my home and take my precious aluminum dream machine?
Was the g5 placed near a window - visible to the casual outdoor observer?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 01:27 PM

A few things:
- Check eBay online for your area
- Obivously tell the police
- Check local computer stores
- Check local pawn shops
- Call Apple
- Get all of your serialized software cut off (Adobe, Microsoft, etc. and let them know what happened)

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 01:32 PM

CollinG3G4 - no...it was in my small, dark room with a tiny window that is always closed with the blinds shut.

mitchell_pgh - thanks...I've pretty much done all of this. I wish you could search computers on Ebay by Serial#. I also can't find anything on there where I can give Ebay my stolen Serial# for them to flag if someone attempts to sell it. Do you know of such a service?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2005, 01:54 PM

There's also a company called PeopleSoft who have a more extensive database of serial #s that many pawn shops and other resellers have to be registered with...
There may be such a database (I'd sure hope so), but it's not called PeopleSoft -- PeopleSoft was a software company that just merged with Oracle. PeopleSoft is an enterprise resource management application, used for things like payroll, administration, and other business tasks.

It's not likely that any pawn shop uses PeopleSoft, because it's for large businesses only, and is priced accordingly.

tooki

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 02:07 PM

thanks for the info...I thought Apple said they register stolen Serials to PeopleSoft...perhaps it's something else with a similar name...

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:19 PM

thanks for the info...I thought Apple said they register stolen Serials to PeopleSoft...perhaps it's something else with a similar name...
Apple uses PeopleSoft for its database tracking, it was announced here on MacNN last year I believe.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 02:35 PM

good to know...

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 02:45 PM

anyone have any (positive) advice on how I can get more people to see my site and donate? I see it can be found on google now woohoo.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2005, 02:57 PM

You're a new member soliciting for free money based on a story of a stolen computer in which you aren't even able to provide valid specs for. Why did you decide come here now? Where else are you posting this trying to get free money? Shouldn't you be focusing your time and energy towards catching those responsible?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you seem to be doing nothing more than trying to milk a community that you aren't even a part of. If you had at least been registered before today, I might not think of this as spam, but the only thing that separates you from a spammer is that you came back.

Anyone can post a sob story like yours. You haven't given me any reason to believe you.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 03:07 PM

thanks Xeo...I appreciate your feedback...and you're absolutely right. I have received donations from other online communities I've been a part of for some time now and came across MacNN just today. I suppose I have just been jumping the gun and asking for too much too quickly.

I'm going to scan in all relevant documents tonight and my serial# post them here (as well as my site) as soon as i can. Not that doing that will get me instant donations, but at least clarification that I am indeed telling a true story. Thanks again for your feedback...!

On a different note, I really want to integrate a simple "comments" feature on my site that people can visit and leave their remarks...similar to these forums but similar to a blog format. Does anyone know a simple way I can do that? I use Dreamweaver and am novice to intermediate skill level...

thanks!

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 04:35 PM

I'm having a tough time taking any of this seriously. Even if your story was true, and I have some doubt, it seems a little childish to beg for money on online forums.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 04:40 PM

Lock it.

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 04:46 PM

B4 lock: 10X more entertaining than free mini mac threads

Forum Links
Forum Rules