Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > my STOLEN G5 :(

my STOLEN G5 :( (Page 2)
n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 04:48 PM

i plan on locking my new one up tight! Do you have any other suggestions Thade? I'm obviously in need of help and am utilizing the resources I have available to me...I don't see how that is childish...i'm not begging.

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 05:04 PM

Yeah, it's pretty childish. BTW, my corvette was stolen last week. How much can I expect from you?

T

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 05:14 PM

i guess i don't see it...what do you think about savetoby.com? there's lots of sites like mine out there...that guy made like $25,000 in donations. He's making money at the expense of murdering a defenseless rabbit. I think I actually have a decent reason for asking for help...

as far as your corvette, sure I'd donate to you if you created a catchy site that showed me you really cared about your car and made me care about it too. I just made my site like a week ago and it's a work in progress...and probably will be to the very end, but I care about it very much; as I did about my computer. I'm working on making it more personal so everyone can see how much I loved my mac and how much I want and need one. My G5 is how I made my living last year. I worked from home as a freelance graphic artist and it was my tool for paying the bills and eating.

I'm not begging and trying to put on a pity party...I just am seeing if anying wants to help! Thanks

powertrippin
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 05:15 PM

Except you're full of crap, and the guy with the bunny actually had PICTURES OF HIS BUNNY.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 05:18 PM

as i said earlier in this post, I will be posting the police report as well as my serial# and applecare letter tonight or tomorrow for you all to see

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 16, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
No, but the 160 GB (1 GB = 1000 MB) reads as roughly 150 GB in the Finder (1 GB = 1024 MB)
Does anyone have a 160 GB drive handy? I thought it would show up as less than 150 GB. More like 148 GB or something.

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 10:27 PM

Capacity: 148.93 GB

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 10:31 PM

My LaCie 160GB drive (designed by Porsche)

[edit]damn, I was beat to it by TommyLeeRoth

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 10:33 PM

Hmmm...
my drive capacity always said "150BG available"...
So his computer had more capacity available than the drive actually holds.

DarwinX
May 16, 2005, 11:29 PM

I'm sorry dude, I'm not buying it. I'd like you to prove me wrong though.

However, in the spirit of the thread: I have a PowerBook G4 12" Rev. C.... I'm disappointed in Apple releasing an updated model, anyone care to donate to my cause?

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 12:26 AM

alright everyone...I meant to post this earlier but I am in the process of moving...any guesses to the main reason?

Anyway, here is the Serial# of my stolen G5: XB34806ENV9 (I put this on the site too)

I have my AppleCare Protection Plan Certificate in my lap... call 1-800-APL-CARE and find out that it is me (Nathan) that had my computer stolen. Make sure you ask when I reported it to them to flag...I'm sure some people think I might have just called today to set this all up....

Also, my police report doesn't have an itemized list of things stolen...I'll get that up soon though as promised.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 01:06 AM

What's your real name and date of supposed break in to your home? I will have the police report looked up to see if you are legit.

If its not I will have you charged with theft. Theft by deception in Illinois is prosecutable and the more money you obtain through false pretense the greater the crime. So before I go look up your page and click on the paypal link to find out your personal information I would come clean and pull the site if you are lying.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 01:11 AM

Everything correct on here?

<info snip>

[xeo sez: don't post personal information, make them use whois like you did]
( Last edited by Xeo; May 17, 2005 at 07:30 AM. )

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 01:15 AM

Gladly Captain Obvious...please give me an email address so I can prove I'm not lying. I prefer not to put my first and last name on this forum.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 01:18 AM

yeah that's correct...i'd prefer you remove that after you verify I'm legit...

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:38 AM

Everything correct on here?

<snip>
You know, Captain Obvious, you just don't know when to stop.

Do you think it's cool to post someone's personal information up here?

I think it's bullsh*t.

You're an *ss.

[xeo sez: don't quote personal information]
( Last edited by Xeo; May 17, 2005 at 07:30 AM. )

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 01:43 AM

in complete agreement with you Cody Dawg...I offered the information for him but not quick enough I guess. And now he's gone offline...perfect.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:48 AM

Just ignore him.

Honestly, he's a pompous a$$ most of the time.

You have to realize that it's not very often that someone pops in here and announces a lost G5 and then wants us to help him out financially, so it makes sense that everyone here is kind of skeptical.

But that still doesn't give him the right to post your whereabouts and stats to the whole world.

Maybe we should track Captain Obvious down and post HIS information up here?

Now THAT sounds like fun!

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 01:49 AM

if there are any moderators seeing this post, can you please remove my home address/phone number?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:51 AM

I already emailed one or two and I told them to delete/modify my post (quoting Captain @sshole and your stats) also. Honestly, I think that guy has a problem with his penis size or something because he's always overcompensating here - trying to prove how great he is, how much he knows, or all the wonderful things he owns.

The mods'll be along soon enough, I'm sure.

Good luck.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 01:53 AM

thanks Cody...

sideus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

I think it's bullsh*t.

You're an *ss.

Is it Captain Obvious's fault that info that is already on the Internet is posted by him?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:57 AM

By the way, Captain "O" alludes to the fact that he works in law enforcement...

Captain Obvious
What's your real name and date of supposed break in to your home? I will have the police report looked up to see if you are legit.

If its not I will have you charged with theft. Theft by deception in Illinois is prosecutable and the more money you obtain through false pretense the greater the crime. So before I go look up your page and click on the paypal link to find out your personal information I would come clean and pull the site if you are lying.
Gee, I wonder if obtaining someone's personal information illegally or publishing it without their permission is against the law?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:59 AM

sideus:

Yes.

I think that Captain Obvious didn't NEED to post it, did he?

How about we start looking up everyone's information and posting it here? I'm not so sure people would like it.

Besides that, he makes it a point to tell the kid that he is going to "charge him with theft." GIVE ME A BREAK.

Is that REALLY necessary?

I don't think so.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 02:01 AM

how would he have gotten my info? I don't have it posted anywhere... how can he obtain that legally?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:04 AM

Noob? Dual 1.6? 150 GB HD?

Something smells in this thread. Someone please get a broom and some Lysol...

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:06 AM

Case in point.

Now maybe you're not on that list but with a little digging and Lexis Nexis - right here in my house - we could find out a lot about a lot of people. I posted that link and it's not even Lexis Nexis.

Do we choose to look up and post private information about people? No. Why not? Because it's not necessary - or the right thing to do.

n8r2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 02:07 AM

please re-read alpha and you'll see i've corrected myself about the dual processor. and the 160 gig shows up in the finder as around 150gb.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:12 AM

Case in point.

Now maybe you're not on that list but with a little digging and Lexis Nexis - right here in my house - we could find out a lot about a lot of people. I posted that link and it's not even Lexis Nexis.

Do we choose to look up and post private information about people? No. Why not? Because it's not necessary - or the right thing to do.
None of those are me anyway.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 02:14 AM

I think it's bullsh*t.

You're an *ss.

Heheh. That's hilarious. You quoted his post with all the info, yet you're scolding Capt. Obv. for posting it.

Originally Posted by n8r2000
please re-read alpha and you'll see i've corrected myself about the dual processor. and the 160 gig shows up in the finder as around 150gb.
Put yourself in everyone else's shoes. You come here asking for free money, and then when asked about your OWN system you get just about everything wrong. Even if you are telling the truth, you've really undermined your own credibility.

IMO, anyone who has read this thread should be hesitant to give you anything. Not that I think coming to a forum for the sole purpose of asking for money is really appropriate in the first place.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 17, 2005 at 02:27 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 02:17 AM

A mod or admin should edit that out. . . Have any of them been PMed?

But, for the record, Cody, publishing public record information is not against the law. It is rude and inappropriate to do in most cases, but it is not illegal, which is why all those public databases being placed online has been a really negative thing for personal privacy and security.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:54 AM

Hi Big Mac:

I know that's it not illegal, per se, but it's just not right.

And, Eug? I know what I did. I actually emailed a mod and told him that I was "mirroring" it in case Captain Big Oh deleted his trolling rant AND that if and when they deleted his post to delete mine also.

About this kid asking for money, I don't know about that. I think he's a kid and actually, there are a few theads around here talking about people asking for money - and getting it. Maybe he's onto a good thing. Someone send me some money while they're at it, okay?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 03:04 AM

why would somebody come into my home and take my precious aluminum dream machine? sigh... it really does happen. Has anyone else had their computer stolen? Anyone got theirs back? my fingers are still crossed.

If anyone cares to help me, go here: helpnathan.com

i ♥ Apple

3 Years ago my top of the line PC was stolen by my X Roommate. I got it back a few days later, only the video card was damaged. Otherwise it wasent hurt.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 03:12 AM

By the way, Captain "O" alludes to the fact that he works in law enforcement...

Gee, I wonder if obtaining someone's personal information illegally or publishing it without their permission is against the law?

He's a lawyer; not sure what kind though.

As far as this dude's private info, look up his domain's registration and you'll have it.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 04:37 AM

My G5 was most likely put into my roommate's huge suitecase (along with the monitor and PS2, yes it was a huge suitecase)
No such suitcase exists.

And if you live in an apartment, insurance will cover it.

If you live at a house, homeowners insurance will cover it.

No need to solicit money.

Actually there is no reason to solicit money at all you bum.

Everyone has had something ripped off them. That is what insurance is for.

I mean you WILL be required to prove it to the insurance company.

If you don't have insurance, I suggest you start saving your own money, and don't expect hand outs.
( Last edited by Zimphire; May 17, 2005 at 04:44 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 04:40 AM

LOL, you'd need something more along the size of a refrigerator box to tote that many items at once.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 04:59 AM

Even Scott Peterson has more credibility than this kid.

PacHead
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
No such suitcase exists.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 05:41 AM

Fixed.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:04 AM

So far the serial # matches up.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 07:21 AM

You are such a dumb c**+

The site the information was retrieved from is quite explicit in what it prohibits the information to be used for. Using it in the manner I have thus far does not violate that site's terms. Your accusation that it was obtained illegally is wrong.

You don't have to actually be an officer of the court or even be remotely involved in law enforcement to report a crime. If a sizable amount of money is generated by the site or it draws enough attention it is only a matter of time before someone looks into it. But anyone could report it if they wanted to. Though if someone who actually knows what crime that is being committed reports it to the right person chances are the process would be expedited. And if that person has credibility, which is a term I am sure you are unfamiliar with, because they work in the same general field and has reputable credentials the claim will be looked in to. But as I said it is not required. Hell, if Florida wasn't such a cesspool of idiots bigger than you Mindfad could call up DCFS and have your kids picked up just by claiming they are being raised by someone with a mental disability, which in all honesty the majority of people here would argue that is not a giant departure from the truth.

Lastly, why are you accusing me of things you habitually do? I don't go deleting my posts because I said something I would take back, you do. There are entire pages of threads you erased to hide your stupidity.
I also don't talk about what I own. I don't think I ever talked about any physical item I have ever purchased on here and if I have it is surely not in the same manner you do. The closest thing I have ever done was one time when I asked about others experience with a chair I wanted to buy. That was a request for consumer feedback. You're the dumbass who lists their weekly purchases like anyone gives a f8ck. You seriously need to see a mental health expert. You are a bat crazy irrational nut who needs to straighten out her issues before she ever tries to comment about anyone else.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 07:26 AM

. . . That's one hell of a flame you've got there, CO.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
<snip>
This by far is the best post in this thread.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2005, 07:40 AM

Firstly, I just want to say, open Terminal and type "whois helpnathan.com". The information is quite public.

Second, that doesn't excuse posting it. Don't post personal information about others. You can use PM or e-mail to "verify" personal information like that. You can post personal information about yourself, of course. But others... no. Even if the information is publicly accessible (lots of information is), that doesn't mean we should make the information easier to find by duplicating it here.

FWIW, I now believe his story. I still disagree with what I can only describe as his panhandling, but that is just my opinion.

The Xeo has spoken.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 07:47 AM

Stolen or not stolen, this habit of people begging for money on the internet/forum has gotten old.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 07:55 AM

I agree with Xeo and Zimphire and that's about it.

Oh, and give the poor kid a break.
( Last edited by Cody Dawg; May 17, 2005 at 09:33 AM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Especially in light of this:

"I need to raise 4,000$ USD to replace what was taken from my home!"
He ain't doin' too well, is he?

+1

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 08:21 AM

I don't give a sh*t what Captain Orgasm has to say here or anywhere else.

I agree with Xeo and Zimphire and that's about it.
Did you just call me Captain Orgasm? Was that supposed to be an insult? Really!?

I mean if I were dating a girl and she called me that I’d probably be a little proud of myself that I had earned such a nickname. But as an insult it’s just so ambiguous. It could really be taken either way. You have to be decisive when you insult someone. Hammer home the disdain. You’ll note above the three tiered approach I took with you. It is wrapped up so nicely with rational statements that contradict everything you said before that it actually makes you look even less intelligent than you have already shown us you are. It's actually pretty!

Anyway, we both know the day will come when you shoot off on another tirade, someone will call you out on it and you’ll delete things in an attempt to backtrack. Eventually you’ll say you’re leaving and then remerge under a new alias. Today, was just my turn. I am not sure why but you like that pattern for some reason. Remember the Kobe thread? That was magic. I think you liked it so much you just have to come back for more.

Well this thread is almost done. So IBTL

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 09:30 AM

Captain Obvious - there, I called you by your self-given name.

Anyway, you may not know it but you're not a very nice person around here most of the time. Sometimes I'm not either and others may have their moments, but you're continuously NOT very nice.

Maybe, sometime, you can just give someone a break and BE NICE. You'll be surprised at how great it feels.

I feel sorry for this G5 kid whoever he is. I don't know much about his physical or mental age, but think about it: You're some young punk kid and you've got a G5 and someone takes it and you really don't have the money to replace it. Because you're immature and you happen to go to Mac forum that is full of USUALLY nice and considerate fellow Mac lovers, you mention that your G5 is stolen and you make the mistake of assuming that some well-minded sympathetic Mac folks will flip you a few bucks so that you can MAYBE start saving for another one. Yeah, it's a mistake. Is it a colossel error? No.

Personally, if I thought he really HAD had his G5 stolen I wouldn't mind flipping him $5 to buy a new one.

What do I care? I'd do that for anyone. Heck, someone like MacNStein who has really deep pockets could buy him a new one and not blink twice. It's feasible that MacNStein might flip him a buck or two also - or someone like him - because he seems to be a sympathetic and empathetic type of guy.

Anyway, I'll edit my post. I shouldn't have called you a name.

Have a good one.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Hell, if Florida wasn't such a cesspool of idiots bigger than you Mindfad could call up DCFS and have your kids picked up just by claiming they are being raised by someone with a mental disability...
I'm not gonna dispute anyone's assesment of your 'tude, but that was some serious psoting right there. F**k I love Florida, because, and only because, it makes Texas look somewhat habitable by comparison.

/Fad fan club.
( Last edited by chris v; May 17, 2005 at 09:47 AM. Reason: I so totally edited my psot in this thread!!!)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules