Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Urgent: Site takes higher loading time.....

Urgent: Site takes higher loading time.....
kkeith
spammer
May 22, 2005, 09:46 AM

Hi........

I am a beginner. I have developed website in Php/MySql. But my home page takes some more time to load in some of the browsers

Check this http://www.direct2deal.com

Can Mysql stored procedures help me? I don't know the concepts of stored procedures. If any buddy in group knows
pl. help me

Its very urgent. Your feedback/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

leira
May 22, 2005, 04:57 PM

well since you say the slowdowns are browser specific i woud tune the html they are seeing a bit. I just looked very quickly but here are some things you might want to research.

1. Lots of javascript
    may or may not be a large problem
  2. large tables
    having lots of tables in a page is not exactly a great thing to do if rendering speed is important
  3. lots of images
    make sure each image has the dimensions listed in the html so that the browsers dont have to wait for all the images to load to display the rest of the page.

blackpenguin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by kkeith
Hi........

I am a beginner. I have developed website in Php/MySql. But my home page takes some more time to load in some of the browsers

Check this http://www.direct2deal.com

Can Mysql stored procedures help me? I don't know the concepts of stored procedures. If any buddy in group knows
pl. help me

Its very urgent. Your feedback/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
It doesn't look like MySQL is your problem... I checked the size of your final HTML page and it weighs in at 656K -- that's a large page. leira's right, you need to cut down on your file size. In addition to echoing leira's comments, I'll suggest a couple ways you can do this and you can go from there.
  • JavaScript: The amount of JavaScript isn't terrible, but it does add to the file size and thus the rendering time. Put your JavaScript code in a separate file (site.js or similar) and import it using [HTML]<script language="JavaScript" src="site.js">[/HTML]
  • Formatting: Your code uses HTML attributes such as "bgcolor" and elements such as <FONT> everywhere -- and it's not necessary. You can specify styles for nearly ALL of your text using CSS. The CSS code can be put into a separate file and imported once at the top. On top of organizing and simplyfing the process of stylizing the site, this should drastically reduce your file size. Look here: http://www.w3schools.com/css/
  • Whitespace: Not an incredibly important issue, but you do use a lot of whitespace in your HTML code, and it does add to the file size. I wrote a simple optimizer in PHP that strips unnecessary whitespace from my HTML output, saving 10-15% on file size. For your pages, it looks as though it may be even more than that. Try it out in PHP.
  • Compression: Your page is pretty large, so you might want to consider Gzipping the HTML before sending it to the browser. PHP makes this fairly simple with the ob_gzhandler() callback function. Look here: http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.ob-gzhandler.php

I'd suggest doing a bit of research on CSS, as it is the current standard and would be the best and cleanest way to reduce your file size. The last two optimizations are for additional savings later on, but concentrate on the CSS. You'll like it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2005, 01:49 PM

Guys, the dude is a spammer. This is his second time here, so I'm thinkin' it's time to banninate.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules