Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > copy and paste: Illustrator to Photoshop

copy and paste: Illustrator to Photoshop
snowrider04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 05:15 PM

I had been running 10.3.9 for a while and was able to copy an image in Illustrator 10, click over to Photoshop CS, paste and everything is cool. but since i've upgraded to Tiger, when i click over to Photoshop, Illustrator quits on me. has anyone experienced this? if anyone has any ideas on a fix i'd really appreciate it.

thx!
15" 1.5ghz Al-Book 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, SuperDrive, 1.5G RAM

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 03:07 AM

To be honest, I've never gotten Illustrator 10 to run well on Macs or Windows. I stuck with version 8 for years. Illustrator CS works somewhat better (although it crashes 50% of the time when closing a file).

Adobe's QA is awful, to say the least.

Chad A Wright
May 22, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by snowrider04
I had been running 10.3.9 for a while and was able to copy an image in Illustrator 10, click over to Photoshop CS, paste and everything is cool. but since i've upgraded to Tiger, when i click over to Photoshop, Illustrator quits on me. has anyone experienced this? if anyone has any ideas on a fix i'd really appreciate it.

thx!
I discovered this great problem yesterday. Isn't it fun. I've been doing my production on my Powerbook running 10.3.8. I bought a souped-up Mini to use at the house (which sounds weird, but it is faster than my 1Ghz Powerbook). It has Tiger and yesterday was the first time I've tried a project involving Illustrator and Photoshop on the Mini. It also happens when you try dragging the artwork directly over to the photoshop window. I pops up some message about having a .pdf problem of some sort, and then crashes. I was going to try re-installing Illustrator, but if this is a Tiger problem, I don't know if that will fix it. Have you tried upgrading to 10.4.1 to see if it's still a problem?

Chad

snowrider04  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 03:03 PM

i haven't done the update yet nor have i re-installed illustrator and photoshop. it's such an annoying problem when i've been doing this for so long. then, all of a sudden...a road block!

i'm going to update and reinstall software then return with an update. thanks for the heads up!
15" 1.5ghz Al-Book 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, SuperDrive, 1.5G RAM

Chad A Wright
May 22, 2005, 05:13 PM

I've discovered that is the worst thing about Apple computers. About 80% of the time, everything just works. You get so used to it, when something goes wrong it ust turns everything upside down. Let me know how it goes.

Chad

bluedog
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 06:39 PM

Look I don't agree with some of the posts above.

First, I would look at the preferences for your clipboard in both applications. There are a few methods that will drastically affect what actually ends up in your clipboard when you copy from Illustrator.

I suggest trying the ai format to start with if you are pasting into Photoshop as it should preserve the most information about the paths and such. Try several of the options and see if one works for you.

Post back if this helps.

art_director
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 09:22 AM

While the copy and paste method described works to bring Photoshop images into Illustrator it is not the proper way of doing it. One should OPEN the file in Illustrator rather than dragging it over or copy and pasting it into the Illustrator document.

JMII
Forum Regular
May 23, 2005, 01:56 PM

The copy/paste thing is a know bug in 10.4 Tiger and is easy to fix by changing one preferrence: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=256902

BlueSky
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 01:59 PM

Saw this at osx hints this AM.

Link is for the comments section; scroll up for the original entry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules