Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod volume

iPod volume
fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 04:11 PM

I find that the iPod volume level is pretty low. In a serious listening mode in a noisy environment, I have to crank it full volume, and some songs are at a low level anyway. On top of that, I think my hearing is below normal.

What I did to help was:

1. Open iTunes, select all songs in the Library with CMD-A
2. CMD-I for Get Info
3. Say OK about the multiple song info warning
4. Check the box that says "Volume Adjustment"
5. Turn up the slider
6. Sync

This will raise the volume of all the songs, so they play louder on the iPod.

It will take a while if you have a lot of songs. I think it can also cause distortion on some songs if you raise it all the way.

If there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

Frank

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 24, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by fmalloy
I find that the iPod volume level is pretty low. In a serious listening mode in a noisy environment, I have to crank it full volume, and some songs are at a low level anyway. On top of that, I think my hearing is below normal.
This will raise the volume of all the songs, so they play louder on the iPod.
Maybe there is a connection between your "cranking it full volume" and a hearing level below normal?

Excessive volume (for longer periods) does damage your hearing permanently, so maybe turning it up even more is not the way to go. You might better try getting earbuds that insulate the sound better in noisy environments you you don't need to turn it up so much and even increase the basic volume setting for each song.
Try in-ear buds as compared to the stock ipod earphones. Just my 2c.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassadeur
Maybe there is a connection between your "cranking it full volume" and a hearing level below normal?

Excessive volume (for longer periods) does damage your hearing permanently, so maybe turning it up even more is not the way to go. You might better try getting earbuds that insulate the sound better in noisy environments you you don't need to turn it up so much and even increase the basic volume setting for each song.
Try in-ear buds as compared to the stock ipod earphones. Just my 2c.
Yes, obviously I know there is a correlation, which is why I mentioned it. I probably do need a hearing test.

I already have the Sony EX-70 in-ear phones, but while they insulate external sound their impedance and/or efficiency is not the same as the provided ear buds so they reduce the volume compared to the stock ear buds.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 24, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by fmalloy
I already have the Sony EX-70 in-ear phones, but while they insulate external sound their impedance and/or efficiency is not the same as the provided ear buds so they reduce the volume compared to the stock ear buds.
You think so? I am using the EX-71s and they are at least the same volume as the stock ear buds, IMHO. I am running them at some 60%-80% volume, anything above that becomes difficult to stand for longer periods.

For your volume pumping problem, anything you do with the main volume setting for each song would distort it to some point, it's the same problem with the iTunes equalizer setting for the pre-amp. At 100% it distorts horibly.

You could check out some of the programs that are out there to make up for the lower max. volume in europe. some of them increase the individual song levels in the database on the ipod, so maybe that'd work for you as well... try the search funtion and look for ipod, europe and volume I'd say.

Good luck. And have those ears tested!!!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2005, 12:38 PM

Ambassadeur is right about distortion from the software volume increase. It is possible that the OP had a lot of tracks that were recorded too low.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 12:42 PM

How were the songs ripped? What format and settings? I also have the 71s and play them at a lower volume most of the time because they do insulate sound so well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
How were the songs ripped? What format and settings? I also have the 71s and play them at a lower volume most of the time because they do insulate sound so well.
Ripped using the normal AAC encoder, and also bought music from the iTMS.

I'll have to do a better comparison, but when I did a quick switch of the earbuds and the EX-70s (I have the older EX-70, not the EX-71) it seems that the stock earbuds are a bit louder. I read that the impedance of the 70s are different than the earbuds (something like 16 vs. 32 ohms) and I know that the impedance has to match or the volume can be different

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 09:16 AM

Unfortunately, there is a modern trend for popular music to be mastered at very high levels, in some cases because of pressure from record labels, because louder music usually "sounds like" it is of higher quality (in fact, many modern pop songs have horrible clipping problems). If, like me, you have a varied collection that includes both older and newer music, normalizing volume in iTunes very difficult without resorting to pumping up the volume adjustment all the way for at least some songs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules