Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cosplay [check your jokes at the door]

Cosplay [check your jokes at the door]
Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 11:18 PM

Before I start, if I see a parody/photoshop pic in this thread, someone's going down.

Having said that, I'm not asking you guys to take this too terribly seriously, since the whole idea behind it is to have fun, that would be the hobby known as cosplay -- essentially (what earns me quite a bit of criticism around here), dressing up as a game or cartoon character, usually focused on the anime/japanese video games, movies, comics, etc -- but not limited to such!

I wouldn't be surprised if any of you guys have done it before, and if you have, you're welcome to post your own! Alas, I only have done 2 versions of 1 character, but I'd love to expand that as I can (it's a damn expensive hobby, and computers are expensive too, so one or the other!) -- so here we go..

As I said starwarsguy, if you thought I was a fanboy, you aint seen nothing yet, so here's my own stuff:

http://www.consplayers.com/coppermin...bum=63&pos=290
http://www.talesmud.com/cherryblosso...-Images/56.jpg
http://www.talesmud.com/cherryblosso...-Images/67.jpg
^ those are all from SF's cherry blossom parade, happened last month if you saw it

http://www.talesmud.com/cherryblosso...BlossomLB.html

Link to the whole darn gallery (changed to low bandwidth because the full size stuff was too much)....

And some other random pics from the 4 other events I've been to:
http://www.talesmud.com/jtaf/final-Images/7.jpg
http://www.usagichan.com/Metreon2003/cosplay9.htm
http://www.consplayers.com/coppermin...bum=56&pos=278
(for those not on my site I'd suggest looking around too They're funny)

And of course:
http://www.talesmud.com/1131.jpg (not the most flattering, but shoot!)

*puts on his flame proof suit* I hope this doesn't turn into one of those, but I have a bad feeling it will

Oh yeah, while I'm at it.. here's the ever so popular thread I started a few years ago
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...3&page=1&pp=40
Aloha

ambush
Banned
May 26, 2005, 11:29 PM

if you're having a nice time, why not?

plus, you could make out with those manga schoolgirls.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 11:31 PM

plus, you could make out with those manga schoolgirls.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
schoolgirls.
jailbait...

:XI:
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
jailbait...
Middle-aged men.

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Middle-aged men.
I'm so in.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
I'm so in.
So your coming out?

(wait, sorry I was trying to keep the quote reply thing going, and i'm not too creative.)

:XI:
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
I'm so in.

Quiet, Macaulay!

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2005, 04:27 AM

Why do I have flashbacks of that episode of CSI where all those people dressed in animal costumes and had an orgy?

OK, serious question: What do you do in these costumes? Just go to parade or act out scenes or what? I guess it's not too far from re-enactors (such as the Civil War buffs). Peronally, other than Halloween parties, I've never gone dressed out as anything. I have a limited sartorial sense as it is.

Also, do chicks respond to guys in this role-playing stuff? I mean is it a social group as well? Do any just dress up and go out to the mall for the heck of it?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Why do I have flashbacks of that episode of CSI where all those people dressed in animal costumes and had an orgy?

OK, serious question: What do you do in these costumes? Just go to parade or act out scenes or what? I guess it's not too far from re-enactors (such as the Civil War buffs). Peronally, other than Halloween parties, I've never gone dressed out as anything. I have a limited sartorial sense as it is.

Also, do chicks respond to guys in this role-playing stuff? I mean is it a social group as well? Do any just dress up and go out to the mall for the heck of it?
It's the same thing as dressing up for the renaissance fair.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Do any just dress up and go out to the mall for the heck of it?
Usually cosplaying is just done for events like conventions, specific movies, and sometimes parties. People who go outside this tend to creep me out a little too.

Thus far I've only really cosplayed once: a bunch of friends and I went to Otakon 2003 as the entire cast of Gensoumaden Saiyuki (I was Dokugakuji). I was going to go to Episode III in costume, but I couldn't find a lightsaber anywhere. I did do a Renaissance faire once.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 06:58 AM

halloween is a national cosplay day

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 06:59 AM

You can't equate dressing up for the ren-fest with cosplaying. You see, the rennaisance actually happened. Hyrule did not. I just never saw the point of dressing up as a cartoon character. When I saw the premiere of the Special Effects IMAX movie, I started talking to some of the guys that dressed up as stormtroopers. They said I'd make a good Vader because I was tall. There's NO WAY IN HELL I was doing that. Halloween, maybe. Put it this way, if Triumph goes out of his way to make fun of nerds, why feed the fire?

Besides, I've seen cosplayers on G4. Their costumes suck badly. The fat chick dressed up as Yuna just gave me the heebie-jeebies.

EDIT: Also, I've been too way to many Star Trek conventions in my life to know what bad costumes are. Sure, there are a few good ones, but they're rare. I just never understood why someone would want to dress up as a Klingon and harass people in Klingonese.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by starman
You can't equate dressing up for the ren-fest with cosplaying.
Sure you can. Ren-garb = cosplay.

See? That wasn't so hard.
You see, the rennaisance actually happened. Hyrule did not.
Point taken, but I'm not entirely sure of the relevance. If you were to walk around in Ren-garb on a day-to-day basis, you would still draw impressive stares.
Besides, I've seen cosplayers on G4. Their costumes suck badly. The fat chick dressed up as Yuna just gave me the heebie-jeebies.
You think that's bad? Feel the horror that is MAN-FAYE!!!1!!!!!one!!1eleven

I debate the wisdom of doing this, but the front page of this site has a photo the cosplay group I was in (no, the site isn't mine). I couldn't make it to Otakon 2004 to reprise the role, unfortunately, and the costume was lost when I tried to ship it up to the person who would be replacing me. The ridiculously-huge sword is still here, though.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Link
Cosplay

Just kidding. You are young, and it looks like you had fun.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 07:42 AM

All the links keep timing out. I'll try later.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 08:19 AM

That **** is so fooking mad.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Sure you can. Ren-garb = cosplay.

See? That wasn't so hard.

Point taken, but I'm not entirely sure of the relevance. If you were to walk around in Ren-garb on a day-to-day basis, you would still draw impressive stares.
Ren-garb isn't cosplay as much as Civil War play != cosplay. First off, I hope to God people aren't walking around in ANYTHING like that on a day-to-day basis. Second, the renaissance has historical significance. "Ah, My Goddess!" does not. There's a sense of history when you go to the ren-fest. I dressed up one year with some rather impressive gear and it was a lot of fun, especially since kids and parents didn't look at you funny because in the CONTEXT of the ren-fest it was part of the show. Cosplay on the other hand doesn't hold any social or historical significance, as little as people dressing up as Starfleet or Klingons do. It's the stuff people are made fun of.

Mike

meelk
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 08:31 AM

Cosplay people are such social oddballs, and not in a good way, more in a "you will die alone" way.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 08:43 AM

I actually think it's cool that people are into this.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 09:39 AM

Ren-garb isn't cosplay as much as Civil War play != cosplay.
I've done Ren-garb on occasion too, actually. There's no real difference; just a different kind of costume..
First off, I hope to God people aren't walking around in ANYTHING like that on a day-to-day basis.
There are more people who do this with Renaissance garb than with anime or science-fiction cosplay, that's for sure. If you've ever seen some of the really hardcore SCA folks, it can get kind of scary.
Second, the renaissance has historical significance. "Ah, My Goddess!" does not.
What you say is true, but I'm not sure about how it legitimizes or illegitimizes either form of costuming.
There's a sense of history when you go to the ren-fest. I dressed up one year with some rather impressive gear and it was a lot of fun, especially since kids and parents didn't look at you funny because in the CONTEXT of the ren-fest it was part of the show.
Exactly. It's all about context. In the context of a renaissance faire, Ren-garb is perfectly acceptable, but outside of that context it isn't. Are you saying that the same is not true for other forms of costuming, relative to their own contexts?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 09:46 AM

I'm saying that I don't understand the attraction to dressing up like a fictional character.

And why are the chicks that do this always, ALWAYS pale as a ghost?

Mike

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 10:21 AM

I'm saying that I don't understand the attraction to dressing up like a fictional character.
Because it's fun. No, really; for most people who are into this sort of thing, that's all there is. For many, the fun is as much or more in making the costume as it is in wearing the costume. I prefer characters with absurdly huge weapons myself, mostly for the challenge of designing and building weapons which look accurate while still being light enough to wield convincingly. Sadly, the sword I made for the Dokugakuji cosplay isn't really visible in the pictures on the site I linked (there is a sword pictured, and I did help design it, but that one isn't mine).

There are a few, of course, who get into cosplay for other reasons. I find them just as confusing and vaguely creepy as you do.
And why are the chicks that do this always, ALWAYS pale as a ghost?
There, I'm afraid I can't help you. At least in the case of anime, I'd imagine it's probably make-up, since most anime characters are pretty pale. I've noticed that this phenomenon is particularly true of women; men in anime have a variety of skin tones, but I can only think of three anime women who aren't unnaturally pale: Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon), Cacao (Knights of Ramune), and Urd (Oh! My Goddess). As for why this is the case, I suspect it goes back to Tezuka Osamu, whose drawing style influences most manga and anime even today. Most of his characters were pale, which allowed him lots of visual contrast to play with when drawing expressions.

None of this explains why the same phenomenon applies to other forms of costuming, though. I have no clue why that happens.

andi*pandi
May 27, 2005, 10:58 AM

points for bravery and artistic skill. Don't know if I would ever dare... but the idea is fun.

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 11:00 AM

Wow, that was fast.

Randman, to the 'what do people do' thing, it kinda gets confusing at times -- generally out here there's *LOTS* of people who cosplay for anime conventions, depending on the convention the amount of people in costume can very easily outnumber the people who aren't cosplaying. Having said that random thought, there's cosplay at conventions where it's not generally organized -- you can go about the convention by yourself, with friends, or for the sake of taking pictures (which as you might have noticed by now, everyone does). Many people have built up "groups", not necessarily of people from the same game, just normal social groups, over time, maybe people they've met at various events/conventions (I know at least a half dozen people that way), or people you've run into on forums...

In fact, it's kinda like a MacWorld would be like for most of us -- you can go and look at the booths, participate in whatever conferences/events/shows are happening, and some people meet up at gatherings. Then again, MW is a much more formal and business event, of course.

The ideas are the same though, sometimes in organized things like the cherry blossom parade, there's actually an outright cosplay 'group' you join into to be in that section, that was a blast -- we had a bart operator cosplaying as a muni driver (funny, but funnier as it got him a few horn honks at the stopped intersections).

Of course, there's game/series-specific 'gatherings' too, they might be associated with such 'panels' as well, though rarely.. again, lots of picture taking (it's odd, no? Up here in CA [especially down in southern CA], people are OBSESSED with showing off how 'great' they are, it can get ugly with arrogant cosplayers).

Having said that, most people don't always act in character, the conventions or events might have "masquerades" -- a 'show' you could participate in to have a skit of yourself, a group, or simply a walk-on for costume judging, that's about the only time in-character stuff is maintained, except for picture poses, or maybe pranks. ("Hey let's go outside and disturb traffic!")

I guess I'll have to agree with Millenium on the why part, it's fun -- or just simply funny, admittedly the only time outside of an event/convention I'm "in costume" is to the event and on the way home, since it's just easier that way -- earns a few stares but hey this is North CA, you could jump on a bus dressed as a bus and not get much more than a quick glance.

As for the pale thing -- the way they're drawn? Makeup? NOT NECESSARILY. Recall we're in the Bay Area, lots of fog up here.. a lot of these people are stuck with 'large servings' of "working my @$$ off" as far as school/work/life goes as well, kinda begins to explain it... Doesn't bug me though, since I like pale women

Ages: There's a 60-ish year old RIKKU cosplayer out there. The majority of cosplayers are women, I'd say between 20 and 30

starman: People do it because they find it fun, much like people going to ren-faires, sure it isn't a history lesson, nor is it as "purposeful", but people usually do it for the exact same reason: because they wanted to. I still enforce the fact that very few people, if ever (unlike the star-wars costuming), "act weird" in such a sense, except as jokes.

As for millenium's thing about big swords -- I think carrying those things around is the challenge, not making them :} But they make great poses! Personally, I'm just fine with my 50" long bastard, carrying that on BART can be a pain in the BUTT. Maybe when I can drive places (should happen in a few months), my opinion on that will change I'm not much into making things outta fiberglass though.

Oh BTW starman, people do NOT 'wear that stuff on a day-to-day basis', conventions and events where cosplay is encouraged are about it, occasionally 'groups of friends' have been known to venture into malls for the heck of it, or go to related movies/game releases dressed as such, which is IRONICALLY welcomed at times. (From what I hear, at least, not something I plan on doing though).
Aloha

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 11:03 AM

Playing dress-up is a very basic form of entertainment, and is the basis for most of our entertainment industry (for instance, when Elijah Wood dressed up as a fictional character and raked in billions, or when Britney Spears dressed up as a fictional character who could sing and actually convinced people she was a pop star).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

meelk
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Playing dress-up is a very basic form of entertainment, and is the basis for most of our entertainment industry (for instance, when Elijah Wood dressed up as a fictional character and raked in billions, or when Britney Spears dressed up as a fictional character who could sing and actually convinced people she was a pop star).
The difference in movies and cosplay "events" are so staggering that it defies logic that you could possibly choose to put them together in one sentence, especially when the movie is representational of a fictional piece of literature which is world renowned.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
The difference in movies and cosplay "events" are so staggering that it defies logic that you could possibly choose to put them together in one sentence, especially when the movie is representational of a fictional piece of literature which is world renowned.
Exactly.

I still enforce the fact that very few people, if ever (unlike the star-wars costuming), "act weird" in such a sense, except as jokes.
Um, so you're saying that SW geeks act weird and YOU DON'T? Dude, seriously...

Oh BTW starman, people do NOT 'wear that stuff on a day-to-day basis'
Wrong. I see people wear a little bit here and there around NJ. One guy in particular wears horns on his head. I think they're implants or something.

Mike

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 11:35 AM

That and most people in movies aren't virgins...
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 11:41 AM

That and most people in movies aren't virgins...
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Demonhood
Administrator
May 27, 2005, 12:08 PM

In fact, it's kinda like a MacWorld would be like for most of us...
does this mean i have to dress up like phil schiller next year? damn.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 01:41 PM

If the reason cosplay is dumber than Ren fairs/Civil War recreations is that the Renaissance/Civil War actually happened, then somebody dressing up as a fictional character in an adaptation of a novel and somebody dressing up as a fictional character at a convention are both equally stupid for dressing up as a fictional character just for the entertainment value.

The fact is, people enjoy playing pretend, and we enjoy watching people play pretend. It's in our nature. This is the reason we don't watch Lord of the Rings and think, "Man, why is that Elijah Wood geek doing all this stuff? Doesn't he realize he's not a fictional character? What a weirdo."

And just for reference, I don't do cosplay and never have. I'd feel goofy.
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 27, 2005 at 01:47 PM. )
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 01:48 PM

Um, no.

There's a big difference between theater and the guy who dresses up like an elf in a bad costume. The "entertainment value" of poorly made costumes with people pretending to be something they're not OFF STAGE is not the same as watching a play or a movie, the realization of a story. The two are not related in any way.

Mie

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 02:06 PM

Guy A: An actor who enjoys going on stage and playing his favorite fictional characters.

Guy B: A guy who enjoys going to conventions where it's encouraged and playing his favorite fictional characters.

You keep asserting that Guy B is a worthless dweeb while Guy A is some kind of god among men, but nobody has yet established why this is so. You seem to assume that there is some power to the stage itself that makes an otherwise childish action perfectly acceptable.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 02:10 PM

It's called cash. I thought that was rather obvious.

It's also the quality of the costume, and the fact that professionals are the ones acting on stage.

Mike

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 02:13 PM

Not all actors are paid.

And I have seen cosplayers with better costumes than I've seen in some movies, despite the fact that you keep assuming not a single one in history has ever worn a decent costume.

And some cosplay contests actually have prizes. So not only is the assumption "actors get paid" wrong, but the assumption "cosplayers don't get paid" is also wrong.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 02:18 PM

Getting a prize is not the same as getting paid. You can't make a living off of cosplaying's prizes. Seriously.

Mike

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 02:25 PM

Haven't you ever heard of plays? Volunteering at a local theater? Oh yeah, it aint worth it if you don't get paid, I'm assuming you didn't pursue your dreams in college because you were afraid a 'challenge' would screw up your GPA?

Gluing horns onto your head is NOT cosplay, that's being silly. I've not heard of cosplayers doing the equivalent of 'speaking in klingon', nor seriously going over teeny tiny details of ahem.. STAR WARS movies (though some do that anyway because they're star war freaks).

This isn't called a job, it's called a hobby, and a lot of the better masqueraders are into acting too, some are into sewing/textile design, others are into carpenter-ship, there's a lot of things that can be learned from it, and yet it actually is fun to do.
Aloha

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 02:27 PM

Most actors can't make a living off that profession either. Particularly since, again, not all of them even get paid. The getting-paid angle doesn't work, since getting paid is not an inherent aspect of either practice.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 02:30 PM

Gluing horns onto your head is NOT cosplay, that's being silly. I've not heard of cosplayers doing the equivalent of 'speaking in klingon', nor seriously going over teeny tiny details of ahem.. STAR WARS movies (though some do that anyway because they're star war freaks).

So let me get this straight....

Cosplayers are "normal".
People that wear horns on their head are not.
People that dress up in Star Trek costumes are NOT cosplayers.

usually focused on the anime/japanese video games, movies, comics, etc -- but not limited to such!
I'm very confused.

EDIT - I just realized something.

Chuck's trying to equate acting with cosplaying, but Link says that cosplaying is based on characters in movies.

Um, WHAT?

Mike
( Last edited by starman; May 27, 2005 at 02:37 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 02:37 PM

People who wear weird outfits in everyday life are not cosplayers; they're people who dress in strange clothes. Cosplay is, by definition, play. It's dressing up in an unusual way for fun. If that's how you normally dress, it's no longer cosplay (just like if you always act like Macbeth, it's insanity rather than acting).

Chuck's trying to equate acting with cosplaying, but Link says that cosplaying is based on characters in movies.

Um, WHAT?
Right back at you: What's your question? I don't see how those two statements (1. Cosplaying and acting both express a basic human predilection for playing make-believe, and 2. Cosplayers often play characters from movies) are contradictory.
Chuck
___

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
does this mean i have to dress up like phil schiller next year? damn.
it would be funnier if you dressed up as Steve Jobs. .

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2005, 03:52 PM

Gluing horns onto your head is NOT cosplay, that's being silly.
Actually, this one is pretty common, though many cosplayers prefer to use headbands with horns attached. A few of the higher-end cosplayers will use spirit gum.

If you mean actually implanting horns into one's head, that's being stupid. The practice does exist, though it usually consists of getting a metal plate with some screw threads implanted; the horns or spikes can then be removed or even swapped for new styles if desired. Not something I'd ever go for, unless someone figured out a way to do functional Wolverine-style claws, because those just plain rock. However, assuming this ever happens at all, I doubt it will be within my lifetime.
I've not heard of cosplayers doing the equivalent of 'speaking in klingon', nor seriously going over teeny tiny details of ahem.. STAR WARS movies (though some do that anyway because they're star war freaks).
I've seen cosplayers do this, but mostly only in the Star Wars and Star Trek communities. I've never seen it happen in anime or Lord of the Rings cosplay circles. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why this is the case.
This isn't called a job, it's called a hobby, and a lot of the better masqueraders are into acting too, some are into sewing/textile design, others are into carpenter-ship, there's a lot of things that can be learned from it, and yet it actually is fun to do.
Exactly. For many of the higher-end cosplayers, most of the fun is actually in making the costume; wearing it is just gravy.

I'm still debating exactly what to do next. My wife and I were considering doing either Sora and Kairi from Kingdom Hearts or Jiraya and Tsunade from Naruto. Each one presents its own difficulties, though I'm particularly intrigued by the challenge of trying to build an Oathkeeper scaled up for my height (if you're going to cosplay a Sora/Kairi pair, after all, you should do it in style).

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 04:09 PM

Sora is among the characters I want to eventually cosplay (believe it or not).. all I gotta say is, yes.. big big big oathkeeper muwahhaa.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules