Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Elgato EyeHome Setup Help/Advice needed

Elgato EyeHome Setup Help/Advice needed
marknicholls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 07:17 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been looking all over the net for a decent forum....im hoping this one will help me

I am thinking about Buying Elgato Eyehome, but im finding the different websites a bit contradicting, Elgato says that Eyehome can work wirlessley with a Aiport Express base station (which i have) but then it talks about needing an Airport Extreme base station.

Can anyone confrirm what i do need? and if i need to of them?

My Aiport Express base currently has my stereo, printer, and modem pluged unti it, which i assume would mean i would need to unplug my modem and plug in Eyehome, which begs the question, where does my modem go?

Do i need a second base station for this? If so, does it have to be an Extreme base station?

Any help would be brilliant,

Thanks

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2005, 08:38 AM

You do not necessarily need a second base station, but you do need some kind of bridge to the wireless network, because the EyeHome only comes with an Ethernet port rather than built-in wireless. I'm told that AirPort Express works very well for this, and so this is what I would recommend. If you can locate the EyeHome close to the AirPort Express base station you currently have then you could plug it onto the Ethernet port on the Express, and then you wouldn't need to unplug the stereo, printer, or modem.

I got my EyeHome just before AirPort Express was released, and so I have the D-Link bridge they now mention as an alternative. This is cheaper, and once you get it working it's rock-solid, but actually setting it up is difficult and annoying to the point of being almost physically painful. For that reason, I do not recommend it to others. Get a second AirPort Express if you need a bridge.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

marknicholls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 08:50 AM

Thanks so much for your help

Just to confirm, 2 express stations would be fine (extreme not needed)

and 1 would be entirley for eyehome (i would have the behind my TV downstairs)

and 1 for my modem, printer and stereo, then briging them?

--------------------

On a slightly different theory, i am moving house in 4 weeks and the rooms are differently lade out and i will be having different hardware in different rooms than they are currently situation in, and this may require me needing 3 express stations, here is the situation:

Mac upstairs with built in extreme card

Living room downstairs, TV, Cable Modem Socket

Dining room, stereo

Well, in order to have a TV connected to eyehome (wirelesley), and express station connected to my Modem, i would need 2 express stations (or equivilent router) in the same room wouldnt i? as i cant plug the modem and eyehome into the same station, seems daft, but i think i would need 2 of them next to eachother?

then a 3rd in the dinning room to connect to the stereo?

Regardless of the money involved, would this be the easiest solution? and is it possible to set up?

Many Thanks
( Last edited by marknicholls; May 25, 2005 at 09:00 AM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by marknicholls
Thanks so much for your help

Just to confirm, 2 express stations would be fine (extreme not needed)

and 1 would be entirley for eyehome (i would have the behind my TV downstairs)

and 1 for my modem, printer and stereo, then briging them?
That should be enough. The one used just for the EyeHome acts as a bridge.
On a slightly different theory, i am moving house in 4 weeks and the rooms are differently lade out and i will be having different hardware in different rooms than they are currently situation in, and this may require me needing 3 express stations, here is the situation:

Mac upstairs with built in extreme card

Living room downstairs, TV, Cable Modem Socket

Dining room, stereo

Well, in order to have a TV connected to eyehome (wirelesley), and express station connected to my Modem, i would need 2 express stations (or equivilent router) in the same room wouldnt i? as i cant plug the modem and eyehome into the same station, seems daft, but i think i would need 2 of them next to eachother?
Ouch. This could be an issue.

Given this situation, I'd go for an AirPort Extreme base station instead of a second AirPort Express. The Airport Extreme base station has two Ethernet ports: one LAN and one WAN. Plug the modem into the WAN port and the EyeHome into the LAN port. You can also hook up your printer here if you want. Then, put your existing AirPort Base Station in the dining room, and hook it up to the stereo. You could also do this in your current location. To do things this way you'd need to set up your AirPort Express as the "hub" of the network (which your AirPort Extreme does now), but you should be able to use the same settings; it's just a matter of moving them to a different device. If you do it now, then you'll save yourself some headaches by trying to do it in the middle of your move.

This is slightly more complicated in the short term (before you move), just because it involves rearranging your devices. However, one AirPort Extreme base station is $100 cheaper than two AirPort Express base stations.
Regardless of the money involved, would this be the easiest solution? and is it possible to set up?
It's probably easier in the long term to go with one Extreme base station than two Express base stations, simply because you'll be juggling fewer devices. In the short term, though, it will be a bit more complicated.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

marknicholls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 10:08 AM

Excellent, i didnt realize an Extreme base station had 2 avalibale ports, that would be ideal, i can have extreme in the lounge, with eyehome and the modem attatched, and airport in the dinning room for music.....i shall get on ebay now

Thanks so much for your help, just needed eveyrthing clarified before i started spending

marknicholls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 12:53 PM

I have just recieved my eyehome (i am testing it as i only have one express station at the moment, but i am having major problems,

When i get the the WDS setup i stumble, when i enable it no base stations appear in the drop down list (when my airport express should appear), and it finds nothing when i manually add the apple ID....

Why i need to setp WDS with only one base seems a bit odd

any help is great as i am stuck!

marknicholls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 02:22 PM

Just got it working wired, but no internet access, so cant update the firmware

has to drag the TV into the study to make it work wired, needed to make sure there was no issue with the hardware....

now all i need to do is sort out my wireless problem (without an extreme base station, just 1 express)

Help!!

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 12:12 AM

You can't do WDS with one base station. That wouldn't make sense. You should set up your single base station to make its own network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules