Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Camera settings for PAL and NTSC

Camera settings for PAL and NTSC
buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2005, 11:29 PM

Purpose:
Edit in Final Cut to export to DVD [ntsc]

Situation:
In a PAL country with a PAL camcorder. Live in the US in the NTSC world. It may or may not make a difference

The Question?
Widescreen vs. 4:3

25p vs 50i

Belief:
widescreen @ 25p

What settings would you recommend?

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2005, 01:39 AM

in a NTSC world, you would need 30p or 60i…

do project.
export as dv
use JES Deinterlacer for converting into NTSC

(http://home.planet.nl/~jeschot/, best PAL<<>>NTSC free software converter)

buffalolee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by k_munic
in a NTSC world, you would need 30p or 60i…

do project.
export as dv
use JES Deinterlacer for converting into NTSC

(http://home.planet.nl/~jeschot/, best PAL<<>>NTSC free software converter)
The problem is, I can't use NTSC here. The wedding videographer only has a PAL camcorder. If I want him to record, I was wondering what would be the best situation in the given circumstance. Since I will be doing my own editing, he will just give me the tapes.

Thank you for the link.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2005, 03:57 AM

Hi buffalolee,

your Mac/iMovie/FC(P) are able to do BOTH standards, so it doesn't matter, what system the fotographer uses.- I understood your question, how to get finally a result able to playback in your homecountry… so, stay in one sytsem, and just at the end of the chain switch into another video standard.

Part II:
NSTC and PAL have different fps… so, in case, you like a progressive recording, in PAL it is 50p, in NTSC it is 30p.
widescreen exists in both standards - it has the same aspect ratio, but because of different "pixel" (in technical, correct terms: different lines) the numbers are different.

summary:
let'im do it in PAL; choose wide or 4:3; get the tapes (stay in one aspect ratio); import'em into your Mac; finalize your project; do video standard conversion as last step; and: your Mac/iDVD/DVDSP is able to do BOTH standards (and is able to playback both)…

ok?
( Last edited by k_munic; Jun 4, 2005 at 04:04 AM. )

buffalolee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by k_munic
Hi buffalolee,

your Mac/iMovie/FC(P) are able to do BOTH standards, so it doesn't matter, what system the fotographer uses.- I understood your question, how to get finally a result able to playback in your homecountry… so, stay in one sytsem, and just at the end of the chain switch into another video standard.

Part II:
NSTC and PAL have different fps… so, in case, you like a progressive recording, in PAL it is 50p, in NTSC it is 30p.
widescreen exists in both standards - it has the same aspect ratio, but because of different "pixel" (in technical, correct terms: different lines) the numbers are different.

summary:
let'im do it in PAL; choose wide or 4:3; get the tapes (stay in one aspect ratio); import'em into your Mac; finalize your project; do video standard conversion as last step; and: your Mac/iDVD/DVDSP is able to do BOTH standards (and is able to playback both)…

ok?
Thanks. I was thinking what would be the best recording situation for me to work on. Since I live in an NTSC country, visiting a PAL country.

Forum Links
Forum Rules