Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Second SATA HD 160 PROBLEM !!!! in my G5 PROBLEM !!!!

Second SATA HD 160 PROBLEM !!!! in my G5 PROBLEM !!!!
YuSa28
Jun 1, 2005, 12:10 PM

I recently installed a Maxtor SATA 120GB in the second hard drive stall of my single 1.8 G5 (Panther 10.3.9 - 160 HD - 1.5 giga RAM - Super Drive) I installed the new TIGER there and the new HD seem to work fine, I use Tiger in the new HD like a boot HD.(I leave my original Apple HD inside too for backup) but several hours later, my OLD Apple HD (SEAGATE 160 SATA HD), just disappears from my desktop, I was PANIC, becouse I leave there all my Works from years. I opened my G5 again and I CHANGE the places of the 2 HDS, (I put the new HD (TIGER MAXTOR 120) in the SLOT A and the old APPLE HD (SEAGATE 160) in the SLOT B, and all seem to work fine again, but several hours later, my OLD Apple HD (SEAGATE 160 SATA HD), just disappears AGAING...... PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPEND HERE !!!!

Is a HARD PROBLEM or a TIGER PROBLEM (soft) ?.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Chito
Senior User
Jun 1, 2005, 12:27 PM

Sounds like a hard drive problem. Do you have Smart status turned on? What does it say? I would backup your important data to either the other hard drive or to DVD's and then try to repair the 160. If that fails and the machine is still under warranty contact Apple and get them to replace the drive, and if it's not buy a new one. But do this first.....BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!!!!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

YuSa28  (op)
Jun 1, 2005, 12:58 PM

I dont think that is a HARD DRIVE problem.... the OLD APPLE HD (Seagate 160 sata HD) works PERFECTLY all the time, this problem stard when I use the NEW (MAXTOR SATA 120 HD) with TIGER, as a BOOT or PRIMARY disk (Maybe is like Jumper sclave and primery HD settings ? )

THANKS.....

Chito
Senior User
Jun 1, 2005, 01:03 PM

SATA doesn't use master/slave settings. Whatever you decide you'd better back up the stuff you consider important.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Frida's Boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 01:07 PM

Is somebody here having a problem?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 01:40 PM

I really can't understand what you are talking about unless you use more CAPS.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 02:21 PM

So-- you have all that important data backed up, right? Right?? There are no slave/master jumper settings any more with the SATA drives. If it's a controller issue, does removing the new drive and putting the old one back in its original slot clear things up? I'd say if that thing will mount for even an hour that you get your files backed up to DVD or something ASAP. The fact that it has "always worked" in the past does not mean it will continue to do so in the future, or that something may be going wrong with it now.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules