Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So there were no April iBooks

So there were no April iBooks (Page 2)
Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo
All this anxiety over feeling the need to have the latest and greatest consumer electronic goody! The marketing folks must love it that their work has paid-off so handsomely for computer companies...
The funny part here is that we don't need marketing. Seriously, how much "marketing" do we see from Apple anyway? We go to Apple's site ourselves, look for the products. And we compare and share notes with other fellow Mac users. Apple hardly needs advertising or marketing to sell to us. Just to know that there is something better out there if enough to make us want it. We do it for the love and lust of computers and technology. Others, however, do sadly fall for (many times false) marketing by other companies.

All in all, I tend to agree with you. We need to calm down a little, and not worry as much about these things. Personally, I am happy with my new 4 year old iBook, and am now happy to wait an see what will come about in a few years when I decide to upgrade again.

willed
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 03:15 PM

My sister's PC laptop died the other day so she finally got an iBook. I thought I could tell her to wait... but then updates could be ages away, and she's not going to notice a 0.2GHZ speed increase and whatnot anyway. iBooks are perfectly good at the moment as they are.

alimunnik
May 26, 2005, 03:28 PM

Atta boy, Gabriel! If you were alive and writing 50 years ago we would have had to turn your file over to the House of Un-American Activities. After all, what would happen to our economy if everyone was contend to stay pat with their current arsenal of technological devices? I have a new iMac which is raising oohs and aahs from my envious friends. Five years from now and this same machine will probably prompt only great gusts of Rabelaisian laughter.
Nowadays a person almost needs a full time job to fulfill one's patriotic consuming duties. It would be nice to be happy with a basic machine just for e-mail, surfing the web, and writing one's introspective memoirs. For sentimental reasons, I am not even installing Tiger on my 1.5 GHz PB!

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
I have a new iMac which is raising oohs and aahs from my envious friends. Five years from now and this same machine will probably prompt only great gusts of Rabelaisian laughter.
Let me tell you something, my fellow Mac user-- No Mac, no matter how old, in my experience, has ever induced laughter, except perhaps from only the most ignorant. People see an old Mac, and respect it as a classic, not a old pile of junk, like most PCs are seen.

Nowadays a person almost needs a full time job to fulfill one's patriotic consuming duties. It would be nice to be happy with a basic machine just for e-mail, surfing the web, and writing one's introspective memoirs. For sentimental reasons, I am not even installing Tiger on my 1.5 GHz PB!
My Power Mac 8600 is running smooth as ever, with a 400Mhz G3 and USB upgrade it got several years ago. Two years ago, I upgraded from the 8600 to my eMac as my main machine. But, my Power Mac continues to do SETI@home, and is used for e-Mail, web browsing, word processing and then some. Maybe in a few years I'll replace it, but there's no need right now.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 06:52 PM

I suggest to any Mac users out there who wanted and haven't an iBook just to go for it, in light of today's revelation. Who knows, there might be some minor PPC update left to go, but does it really even matter anymore, is it worth it? Just go ahead and buy it now, or buy a PC laptop if you've decided to jump ship.

Personally, I feel like the boat has been mighty stirred up and perhaps leaking in various places, but facing a choice of Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux on Intel, I'll still choose Mac OS X, though that too may change if Apple decides to infringe upon users' rights with some limiting hardware based DRM tech.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 07:02 PM

Or wait another month or two, when everything will be half price.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by iDaver
Or wait another month or two, when everything will be half price.
Back in the old days, Apple dumped tons of Lisa's in a landfill rather than give them away or sell them much cheaper or below cost. So, I don't think so. I don't think the iBook will get much cheaper at all. At least, not from Apple anyway.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 04:22 AM

man, crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.
i was really looking for ibook spec bumps. guess i'll go ahead and lay out the cash for a new HD on my G4 800.
but man, crap crap crap crap crap........

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

toffe
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 04:56 AM

Hmm, and i was thinking about switching from Pc to Mac....
Will there be a difference now?

OS X + iLife was my reason fro the switch.
But it feels like there will someday be possible to run Tiger (or Leopard) on a cheaper (than macs) pc notebook... but i dont know.

i would like an iBook since they are cool
But what happens after the intel swich then?
will the PPC iBook still be able to run newly developed programs for intel macs etc?

toffe
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 08:46 AM

Note on thing. In the keynote Steve said that there were still PowerPC releases still to come...
for all you guys hoping for a new iBook (this year)

toffe
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 08:54 AM

I have an announcment to make. I AM going to buy an 12" ibook.
I have already bougth: some software for mac, external hard drive, external dvd burner.. (about 500 euros), so why linger any longer (it rhymes).

Gabriel, you said that one shall buy now. that migth be the best option if there won't be any updates within the next month.
But it sucks that i don't know for sure.

The alternatives are:
buy Today,
buy tomorrow,
buy next week,
buy next month,
stick with my current 2,4ghz pc notebook (Fujitsu siemens Amilo D, 2 years old, sounds like an airplane and weighs 3,1 kilograms, battery life ½hour) and buy an iBook next year...

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by toffe
But it feels like there will someday be possible to run Tiger (or Leopard) on a cheaper (than macs) pc notebook... but i dont know.
Don't count on that. Apple will maintain tight control with the ROMs on the motherboards. If they one day decide to become just a software (and iPod) company, perhaps then...

iJohn_007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 11:21 AM

Hi,

I'm new here, but I'm strongly considering getting an iBook. I will be going to college next year (I'm 18 now), but I might take a summer class, in which case I'd need an ibook before July. This would be the first time i'd own a mac. I guess from reading here, it's a terrible time to buy one. Sorry for asking the same question, but do you think it's a good idea for me to wait? And I know it's already been asked, but does anyone have any possible idea when they announce updates (if they have them), like what time of day, for example?
Anyway, this looks like a great forum and thanks for your time,
John

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by iJohn_007
Hi,

I'm new here, but I'm strongly considering getting an iBook. I will be going to college next year (I'm 18 now), but I might take a summer class, in which case I'd need an ibook before July. This would be the first time i'd own a mac. I guess from reading here, it's a terrible time to buy one. Sorry for asking the same question, but do you think it's a good idea for me to wait? And I know it's already been asked, but does anyone have any possible idea when they announce updates (if they have them), like what time of day, for example?
John
The consensus is: if you need it now, buy it now...if you don't need it, wait until something better comes along. It sounds like you need it...so get it!

This has been a recording.

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by iJohn_007
Hi,

John
My recommodation is not to buy now, but wait till the very last minute you need it, and then get it. The current iBook's are already long overdue for an update (look at title of thread)!

EDIT: ups didn't see your post Voch

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2005, 03:50 PM

I feel liike I should buy a new powerbook 12 inch only because it has been updated and I won't feel crappy when they update them as opposed to buying a new ibook which I assume will be updated eventually.

Maybe I should just buy a used ibook to make myself feel better.

toffe
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mallrat
I feel liike I should buy a new powerbook 12 inch only because it has been updated and I won't feel crappy when they update them as opposed to buying a new ibook which I assume will be updated eventually.
That is not a bad idea.

Consider this scenario
the 12" iBooks gets updates somewhat, to let's say:
1,5 ghz
64mb graphics card
512mb standard memory
, but it results in a "sligth" prise raise.

do you guys see what that is... it is the specs of the current 12" powerbook (costs $1500)

That is also why iBooks can't be updated unless powerbooks are.
And powerbooks were updatet quite recently (was it february i think).
( Last edited by toffe; Jun 7, 2005 at 04:20 PM. Reason: type-o)

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by solero
EDIT: ups didn't see your post Voch
Well...I forgot to mention the long-overdue update possibility...

I've been debating about holding off until the Intel update a year from now. But then I remembered the axiom "never buy a first rev machine." I may grab the next tried-and-true iBook or Mac mini update to tide me over until the Intel stuff gets settled in...

Voch

iJohn_007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 07:02 PM

How long does it usually take Apple to actually sell and ship a product after they first announce it? For example, if they do announce next Tuesday that they're updating the iBooks, would you be able to order it immediatlely, or would it take a while, such as a week, month,etc.?

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 10:16 PM

Now let me ask this, do you think that Apple is going to offer their iPod rebate deal when you purchase one of their laptops (PB or iBook)? ($200 off iPod purchase)

They've done it in the past 2 years and I've got a couple friends that are looking to buy now but I keep telling them to wait till it gets closer to the end of the summer.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

Forum Links
Forum Rules