Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > QPS 8x External Fire wire dirve

QPS 8x External Fire wire dirve
Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2000, 06:29 AM

Does anyone in here have the 8x QPS drive? I want to go get one but I want to make sure it is not a POS.

I have also heard they redid the drive so that it has 3 firewire ports is this out yet?? I only see a brief mention of it on their site.
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 23, 2000, 01:04 PM

Search this forum, there is good information here about the 8x drive. I opted for the 4x Firewire version, but both seem to be solid peripherals. Also go to www.macintouch.com for more reader reports.

dsawyer
May 25, 2000, 04:46 PM

Based on only a couple of weeks experience here, it seems to work just fine. We haven't burned a lot of disks so far, but it's worked without a hitch to this point (he said, knocking firmly and repeatedly on virtual wood)

slimshady023
Forum Regular
May 27, 2000, 10:44 AM

Hey Elderloc!

I bought a Que 8x/4x/32x drive about one month ago, and I can attest that this drive is simply amazing. It burns fast (typically about or under 9 minutes), and I haven't had any coasters in about 40 burns.

My only complaint with the drive was the somewhat arduous setup. Toast wasn't recognizing the drive, and I couldn't figure out why. However, after updating the Firewire Enabler extension to version 2.3.3, the drive was recognized. Since then, I have had nothing but great burns and praise for the drive.

I'm not sure about the three-port firewire version. My drive came with the grey front (not the new ice front -- which may have come with the port change), and two firewire ports. Overall, this is an amazing drive that I would recommend to anyone.

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2000, 08:06 AM

I agree with slimshady023. I've had the 8x drive since Early Feb. and I have had Zero problems, and no coasters. It's an awesome drive!

jJustin
May 30, 2000, 05:06 PM

I got my QPS 8x burner two months ago after a long wait and it was definately worth it. The setup was more difficult than it should've been and I burned two coasters in my first five CD's, but since then it's been excelent, and fast.

Make sure you update Toast and all FireWire related extensions. Also, I had to play with the power-on sequence the first few times to get Toast to recognize the drive, it's been fine lately.

One question for folks out there though: What can I do about audio CD's that are too long to fit on a regular Disc? I get an error reporting that the source CD has too many cylindars, even after turning the 2sec pause off in Toast.

I have two stamped CD's (not-burned) that won't copy, and many more CD's off live shows and such burned from a high end consumer HHK stereo system burner. The strange thing is that I'm copying to the same media, TDK CD-R74, that the source is on?

Will 700MB (80min) media help?

Thanks,
Justin

Ray C
May 31, 2000, 08:34 AM

I've had a QPS 8/4/32 Firewire drive connected to an iMac DV SE for a couple of months now. I have had no luck in using a CD-RW disk for backup of files. I have been told I need Direct CD to "save"
from the Mac OS finder or to use backup software. Although Adaptec advertises
this software as included with the drive, I can not find it on the
install CD, nor was it installed with the original install. I have since
updated the included Toast to Toast Deluxe 4.1.

Where is Direct CD? Is it an extension or application?

Ray C

jheidelo
Jun 13, 2000, 10:46 AM

Hi Ray,

Did you ever find out anything on DirectCD? I just got my Que! Firewire CDRW drive yesterday and DirectCD was nowhere to be found. It would be great if someone knew what was going on with this product.

Thanks,
Jason

Originally posted by Ray C:
I've had a QPS 8/4/32 Firewire drive connected to an iMac DV SE for a couple of months now. I have had no luck in using a CD-RW disk for backup of files. I have been told I need Direct CD to "save"
from the Mac OS finder or to use backup software. Although Adaptec advertises
this software as included with the drive, I can not find it on the
install CD, nor was it installed with the original install. I have since
updated the included Toast to Toast Deluxe 4.1.

Where is Direct CD? Is it an extension or application?

Ray C

Ray C
Jun 14, 2000, 07:09 AM

Jason,

I didn't receive any reply from QPS or Adatec. With a bit of searching I found this web page at the QPS site.
http://www.qps-inc.com/cgi-bin/displ...8&dir=products

Note the "Available Soon" for Mac DirectCD. Just a bit of false advertising on the box and in all the announcements. If it ever does become available I wonder how we will be able to get it since an older version wasn't included on our Install CD. It doesn't bode well that neither QPS nor Adaptec were decent and professional enough to answer questions.

Good luck to us.

Ray

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2000, 02:49 AM

I've had my 8x Que Drive for about a month now and have nothing but praise on it's performance. I've burned 20+ CDs and made only 1 coaster (which was not the drive's fault but mine). My one complaint is... only the 4x drives come with the clear fronts. Mine has the ugly beige.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jadzia275
Jun 15, 2000, 02:40 PM

I have a beige G3/266 minitower and am considering getting a QPS external FireWire CD-RW. Are these drives compatible with add-on FireWire PCI cards. Does anyone know a good (and cheap!) FireWire card I can purchase that would be compatible with the QPS?

jheidelo
Jun 15, 2000, 04:59 PM

I received my QPS Firewire drive this week along with my OrangeMicro PCI FireLink FireWire card. It works just fine!!!

-Jason

Elderloc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2000, 08:52 PM

I went with a Plextor 12x SCSI drive. I still want to get a QPS 4 or *X though so that I can stick my DVD-Ram in it.

I really like the case. To bad they don't sell there case.

Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

omarv
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2000, 03:45 PM

I just purchased the Firewire 4X version and this thing is awesome, absolutely no problems. Buy one today without fear!

iPaul UK
Senior User
Jun 17, 2000, 06:31 AM

I just bought the 8X/4X/32X QPS Que drive. And I too think it really is a great device. My only complaint is that I thought it was a little pricey. But then, isn't everything here in England!?

By the way, I have been experimenting with this drive.. The first disc I tried to burn was my Mac OS 9 (Not OS9.0.4) disc. All seemed to go well, but the disc won't boot my iMac DVSE. However, it works OK with my old 8200 PPC. Odd.. I also experimented with "Backing up" a PSX disc. But this doesn't work as Toast reports some kind of a file error from the source disc. Any ideas?

Absolutely everything else seems to work fine though

Sucrose
Jun 17, 2000, 09:11 PM

I too own one of these Fire Drives and I must say that I completely agree with everyone here... it is a fantastic piece of work... though, I have one question for everybody... some of the audio Cd's I have burned occassionally (on random tracks) have an extra "blurb" of sound at the end of the track just before it changes to the next track... you know? When all the music has gone silent as the end approaches, there is a sudden short (1sec) burst of music from somewhere else in the track... I have checked the source files and they don't have this... any ideas? not sure if it's QPS, or Toast...

Sucrose
Jun 17, 2000, 09:20 PM

As to the beige cover on the 8x drive, I just noticed that.... that's pretty weak... any chance on that them maybe doing something about that? the 4x just looks so much better....

qvilorio
Jun 17, 2000, 10:49 PM

I Do have a QPS 4X4X24 FIREWIRE DRIVE , but I can seem to burn a CD-Rom XA with the toast provided by QPS. Has anyone burned a CD-ROM XA with QUE! firewire drive? How?.

Thanks for your answer,

Quirilio

Kitsune
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2000, 05:10 AM

Although I love my Que drive I had some very annoying things happed when I bought it.
1) The install CD was faulty. Could not be read at all. I thought, "Cool, I'll just download the driver" wrong, the required extension is not on their web site. Fortnatly I knew someone who owned one and they mail me the extension. What kind of company doesn't put their 26k driver online?
2) I wanted to rip the drive out, mount internall and use the case for HD's. Nope, it has tamper proof stickers. Boring!!
3) was given a replacement set of panels to make it blue. The package lists it's contents as "1x flat head screwdriver for panel removal" and when you open it up it came with a QPS branded Phillips head driver.

They were so close to having a perfect product but the little thingd ruin it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules