Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Scaling PDF to poster size (print multiple pages)?

Scaling PDF to poster size (print multiple pages)?
arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2005, 07:26 AM

I have a detailed technical diagram PDF that I'd like to print out across multiple letter-size pages and tape together into a large poster.

There doesn't seem to be any way to get i.e. Preview to do this-- if you use a large paper size, it just prints out the corner that will fit on your printer's paper; it doesn't print the remaining pages.

I found a similar question on this forum, with no answer.

I also found this application which would do exactly what I need, if I was working with lo-res photos... but this is a PDF which I want to print to a postscript device @ ~1200dpi; rasterizing it to several gigs of pixels isn't a good idea.

Does anyone know a trick to do this? Thanks.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 08:35 AM

Print it from Acrobat and select Tile large pages in the print dialog box under page scaling.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:11 AM

To elaborate a little more... In Acrobat (I don't think it works in Acrobat Reader).

1. If you need to scale it- Go to Page Setup> Choose your printer and sheet size. Enter the percentage you want and say ok.

2. Then go to Print> and Choose Tile Large Pages under Page Scaling, and enter the amount of overlap you want.

If you don't need to scale it, just do part 2. In other words- what almaink said!

arekkusu  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2005, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the help. Acrobat (Pro) is able to print tiled across multiple pages (Reader is not.)

However, Acrobat has its own problems-- it destroys some of the font kerning in my diagrams, so the text is squished and overlapping on itself.

Is there any way to do this with the tools that ship with OS X? Thanks again.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by arekkusu
Thanks for the help. Acrobat (Pro) is able to print tiled across multiple pages (Reader is not.)

However, Acrobat has its own problems-- it destroys some of the font kerning in my diagrams, so the text is squished and overlapping on itself.

Is there any way to do this with the tools that ship with OS X? Thanks again.
That's probably more the fault of the PDF and the font not being embedded. Acrobat Pro takes it more seriously than others.

Forum Links
Forum Rules