Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New 17"!!!

New 17"!!!
tyoda
May 21, 2001, 04:38 PM

Nice to see one of the speculated and wished for items in Apple's lineup of displays, actually come to fruition. Was kind of hoping for an 18" lcd display, but will settle for the 17". Also note that the Cinema is slowly but surely dropping in price as well.

I bet by MacWorld NY and likely this fall prior to the holidays we'll see this the lcd's across the line go down in price further.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2001, 05:03 PM

Man, can you say "good timing'? I JUST sold my 15" LCD with G4 - the guy will get it Wednesday.

He's going to be pissed...

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2001, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by tyoda:
Was kind of hoping for an 18" lcd display, but will settle for the 17".
Remember that LCD's do NOT have that black border like CRT's so you actually are getting 18'.

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 06:39 PM

The 17" Studio Display is dead. Long live the 17" Studio Display. Looks just like a bigger 15" though. What do you think of the looks, is it good or bad that they all look so similar, or should there be some difference between the 3 designs? The same goes for the TiBook & iBook in a way. Are Apple getting 'samey'?

------------------

"Yer a poo chute Newsfactor, a poo chute!"

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2001, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
Looks just like a bigger 15" though. What do you think of the looks, is it good or bad that they all look so similar, or should there be some difference between the 3 designs?
The 17' has much better resolutions then the 15'

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 07:34 PM

Ya, great to see Apple continuing to lower the prices on their displays to more approachable levels. I had that same flicker of doubt in my mind as to whether or not i would be better to sell off my 15" LCD for a 17" as well, but then realized that with the degree of addiction i have to gaming and the fact that i could not enjoy those games at the display's optimal native 1280x1024 resolution w/out a significant performance hit i decided i'd be better off sticking with my 15" LCD for now.

Irregardless, combined with a $1099 refurb Cube the 17" LCD looks to be a great display for those looking to attain an inexpensive all-digital TV/DVD setup!

... i see the Cube/17" LCD summer promos rolling already...

"Get Cubed and flattened for $1999!"

"Pure 10101010101010 for only $1999!"

Man... imagine how small a Cube would look next to one of those things... mmm...

Speed

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 07:47 PM

wow, I'm stoked. Did it just appear there or was there some kind of conference today??
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 07:55 PM

Anybody know the dot-pitch of the Apple LCDs? I can't find any mention of it at Apple's web site. I was hoping for something better than 0.28 like everyone else's monitors. My Samsung SyncMaster 770 is 0.264 and I would want something comparable if I were to switch.

------------------

DMK
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Anybody know the dot-pitch of the Apple LCDs? I can't find any mention of it at Apple's web site. I was hoping for something better than 0.28 like everyone else's monitors. My Samsung SyncMaster 770 is 0.264 and I would want something comparable if I were to switch.

From 2 different sources I have been told the 15" LCD is rated at 0.265
DMK
dmk

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 02:06 AM

Rex Sanders offers a few interesting comments on the increasing density of Apple's displays:

"With the release of the new Apple 17" Studio Display, Apple is hastening the demise of the 72 pixels per inch (PPI) standard for Macintosh displays first set by the original Macintosh in 1984. Here are the calculated PPIs of Apple's current displays:

85.3 - Apple 15" Studio Display
96.4 - Apple 17" Studio Display
86.3 - Apple Cinema Display
92.8 - iMac (high resolution)
72.5 - iMac (medium resolution)
91.1 - PowerBook G4 (Titanium)
105.8 - iBook (2001)

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JLannoo
May 22, 2001, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Remember that LCD's do NOT have that black border like CRT's so you actually are getting 18'.

If it was actually 18" Apple would say it was 18" It would make it that much more appealing.

While its true that CRT's have a tube size then a lower actual viewing size. LCD's are true to their rating 17" will equal 17"

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by JLannoo:
If it was actually 18" Apple would say it was 18" It would make it that much more appealing.

While its true that CRT's have a tube size then a lower actual viewing size. LCD's are true to their rating 17" will equal 17"

Sorry, my point was that when you buy a 17' CRT you are actually getting 16'. So with the 17 you get 17.

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Robin1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 09:55 AM

I don't know anything about displays, CRTs or LCDs... I am interested in buying the new Apple 17 to go with my Cube. But is a LCD good for playing games as well? Can it change resolution automatically i.e ? And when, in your opinion, is the first price drop going to happen ? Macworld next July, Apple Expo in September ?

Thx
Rob

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Robin1:
I don't know anything about displays, CRTs or LCDs... I am interested in buying the new Apple 17 to go with my Cube. But is a LCD good for playing games as well? Can it change resolution automatically i.e ? And when, in your opinion, is the first price drop going to happen ? Macworld next July, Apple Expo in September ?

Thx
Rob
Yes they are good for games (but not as good as a CRT if you are pickey). They can also change res on their own. I don't think we will see a price drop till Jan 2002.

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 02:01 PM

While the flat displays offered by Apple look and are built better than any other manufacturer, I wish the border around the screen was thinner.
I'm being picky here, but a smaller border visually makes the screen seem bigger (check out Panasonic's Tau TV's and look at the G4 Ti Powerbook)
That said, the similar look between the three size models is not an issue. Just means you don't have to redesign your decor when upgrading to the next size !

tyoda  (op)
May 22, 2001, 04:37 PM

I agree the border around the displays look kind of thick. This might be due to a couple of reasons.

The driver pcb and backlight might be biased to one side of the display. I'm sure the excellent performance of the Apple diplays is partly due to a fairly robust backlight. And note that Apple displays do not have a base in which the driver circuits can reside, therefore it is all behind or around the display itself. Going all digital does reduce the amount of hardware eliminating the need for d/a conversion.

Secondly, the 17" border may be thick for now, but able to fit a 18" or 19" later using the same back housing, & simply changing the front bezel frame. This saves tooling costs by accommodating future versions.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 04:50 PM

Rats! My 15" Studio Display just shrank!

Gonna have to think up a good excuse to trade up...

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 08:26 PM

someone chek my calculations, but as far as I can tell, the 17in lcd provides a whopping 67% more usable desktop area than the 15 in lcd does. thats tworth the extra $400~!

tyoda  (op)
May 23, 2001, 03:07 PM

I'm happy that the resolution for the new 17" LCD is at 1280 x 1024, equivalent to what I'm running on my 21" here at work...awesome.

Ok, display taken care of, now let's see when they'll intro the new G4 towers! Then I'll consider a new Mac purchase !

Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by AppleCello:
someone chek my calculations, but as far as I can tell, the 17in lcd provides a whopping 67% more usable desktop area than the 15 in lcd does. thats tworth the extra $400~!
HELL YA!

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2001, 10:11 PM

calculating "dot-pitch"

1. measure the dimension of the screen horizontally in mm, not inch.
2. there are 1024 pixels on the 15" monitor, let's say that the horizontal (NOT diagonal) measurement is 12", then 2.54mm per inch multiplied by 12, you get 305mm
3. 1024 pixels across (each pixel is made out of R, G, and B. the "dot-pitch" is measured from end to end--of the three pixels together). 305mm divided by 1024, you get 0.29 mm "dot-pitch"

Since the dot-pitch only applies to monitors with round dots that are aligned in tiangular patterns, Sony Trinitron's "stripe-pitch" is the correct term, because the LCD's RGB arrangement is the same as Trinitron's.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2001, 10:12 PM

calculating "dot-pitch"

1. measure the dimension of the screen horizontally in mm, not inch.
2. there are 1024 pixels on the 15" monitor, let's say that the horizontal (NOT diagonal) measurement is 12", then 2.54mm per inch multiplied by 12, you get 305mm
3. 1024 pixels across (each pixel is made out of R, G, and B. the "dot-pitch" is measured from end to end--of the three pixels together). 305mm divided by 1024, you get 0.29 mm "dot-pitch"

Since the dot-pitch only applies to monitors with round dots that are aligned in tiangular patterns, Sony Trinitron's "stripe-pitch" is the correct term, because the LCD's RGB arrangement is the same as Trinitron's.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 07:38 PM

My only disappointment with all of the Apple display's is the ADC connector... this makes it difficult for those of us who use KVM boxes to share a monitor and keyboard between various machines... That's why I'll probably settle on a non Apple LCD.... although I love the look of the Apple LCD's.
anyway, jsut my two cents...
dave

nana2
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 08:47 AM

Dell 15" Ultra XGA screen
1600 X 1200
133 pixels per inch
1.92 megapixels

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by nana2:
Dell 15" Ultra XGA screen
1600 X 1200
133 pixels per inch
1.92 megapixels
But is it available (link?) and at what cost.

nana2
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 12:43 AM

Sorry should have said, it's only available now on the Dell Inspiron 8000 series laptops at the moment.

Cheapest config with the UXGA screen is $2,029, with p3 850MHz. http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers..._special09.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules